The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Competition Motorsports (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Who's Racing Their SVX? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=63406)

newsvx 03-30-2015 06:56 PM

Who's Racing Their SVX?

Who is currently racing their SVX? Autocross? Drag racing? Track events? SCCA races? Who is doing what out there these days? I don't hear much any more about actually running a SVX in a competitive event.

So, let's see some posts on what you are doing with the SVX!

Harry

EdWindows 03-31-2015 07:10 AM

Re: Who's Racing Their SVX?

PPIR has been running bi-weekly time-attack/drift events, and I took my SVX once while in the middle of my suspension upgrade on the BMW, otherwise I've just been drifting.
I'd like to figure out the infamous cooling issue before taking out my SVX to any open track days.

svxfiles 04-03-2015 04:39 PM

Harry,
the only people on The East Coast that I know of that are Hill Climbing, AutoCrossing and Track Days are Elezar (radarwhiz) and Bill (SVXRide)
Tom & Melissa are temporarrily sidelined by delays and emission issues.

Is anyone doing anything that is actual sanctioned racing?!
Tom

solodon 04-04-2015 03:41 PM

Went to a BMW ice event in Wisconsin in Feb. Solo's are just around the corner here in Indiana. Will be attending those.

SVXRide 04-05-2015 10:42 AM

Represent! 😎

Bill

svxfiles 04-05-2015 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVXRide (Post 739687)
Represent! ��

Bill

Perhaps you can expand on that, Bill.
AutoCross, Hill Climb, Track Days, etc??

SoobCrazy 04-07-2015 03:42 PM

I autocrossed my SVX once. It had great low end torque, but on short, tight courses the LSi speed sensitive steering was terrible. The second turn in a chicane was met with zero assist pressure.

Also, the sunroof equipped roof is too low for my 6'1" frame with a helment on. I had to run with the roof open and my head cocked to the side.

I prefer to race my WRX.

radarwhiz 04-07-2015 06:03 PM

Oops, didn't see this till just now.........

But you all already know what I do :rolleyes:

svxfiles 04-07-2015 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by radarwhiz (Post 739715)
Oops, didn't see this till just now.........

But you all already know what I do :rolleyes:

But to be clear, AutoCrossing, The Hill Climb, Track Days.
Elezar actually READS the rulebook and , what is the PC way to say what he does...
Busts my Ball Bearings to comply with the rules.

I on the other hand prefer the way the Greats "worked" the NASCAR rules in the 60s & 70s! ;)

"Yesserie, Bob, thats a 4"bore, here use MY steel rule, heh, heh, heh.":rolleyes:

radarwhiz 04-07-2015 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxfiles (Post 739716)
Elezar actually READS the rulebook and , what is the PC way to say what he does...
Busts my Ball Bearings to comply with the rules.

I on the other hand prefer the way the Greats "worked" the NASCAR rules in the 60s & 70s! ;)

"Yesserie, Bob, thats a 4"bore, here use MY steel rule, heh, heh, heh.":rolleyes:

That's just the difference between a driver and a mechanic.

Your pride is in the machine you build.
Mine is in perfecting my driving skill and testing said skill against other drivers, and that requires an equal playing field :)

svxfiles 04-07-2015 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by radarwhiz (Post 739717)
That's just the difference between a driver and a mechanic/engineer/master fabricator/ CAR GOD!!!!!.Your pride is in the machine you build.
Mine is in perfecting my driving skill and testing said skill against other drivers, and that requires an equal playing field :)

What is an equal playing field?!?!:confused::confused::confused:

radarwhiz 04-07-2015 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxfiles (Post 739718)
What is an equal playing field?!?!:confused::confused::confused:

That Rulebook :p

SURTEESS 05-02-2015 01:44 AM

Someone here in New Zealand has gone to a lot of trouble - but wow they have done a great job....

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/spec...-879936612.htm

Steve

svxfiles 05-02-2015 02:35 PM

That car makes my pants shorter!:eek::o

Svx95 05-25-2015 12:06 AM

I just started doing local AutoX events. We run based on NASA rules and the SVX is in the NX-E class.

The first event had a very tight, and technical layout and I was not able to exceed 35mph. With Nevin's larger RSB the rear of the car rotated nicely. I noticed the steering is not very direct and takes quite a bit of input to go were you want to. (Better tires might help, leading to my point) My first run was a 75.847 and I got progressively faster. The last (6th run) was a 66.648;) Out of 10 in the class I placed 4th and the fastest car in my class (Miata) ran a 61.092.

The second event consisted of a more open layout and I was able to hit 45mph. In this event I had to focus more on keeping as much momentum as possible throughout the turns. SVX is not exactly quick!:p Also, when I did use the brakes I had to use them hard and I wasn't always happy with the outcome:rolleyes:. With the higher speed around corners I could really feel my sidewall rolling as well. My times were very consistent up to the point where it started downpouring. My first run was a 50.986, progressively faster again,with my fastest (4th run) being a 50.334.

So, I'm now looking for better tires. Something sickier with a stronger sidewall, but also not braking the bank (Under $150/tire) and lasting more than a season of AutoX.

I'm currently running the BBS STI wheels 17x8 ET 55 wrapped with Gmax AS03 (It's an Ultra High Performance All Season tire). They are surprisingly really good tires for the money (I paid $95 per tire) but just not up to par for the sport.

Any input on good tires? I'm all ears!