The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Whts happening with my steering?? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=30930)

pavanbabut 01-17-2006 02:06 PM

Whts happening with my steering??

Hi,

Got a new problem. My steering is acting crazy now a days :confused: . Here is the exxact problem.

The steering makes a lot of screeching noise when the car is started in the morning. At this time the steering is like a hell to turn (very tight) and when i try to turn it and make it loose or to get rid of noise, in this process of rotating whenever the steering becomes tight the steering, Battery, stop-lamp and ABS light up on the dashboard.

After the car is heated up or after sometime of running the car, the noise dissappears and the steering wouldnt be tht much tight as it was at the time of cold start. But will show up sometimes when I try to trun the wheel full on either sides (completely right or left). Turning left is little tighter than turning right.

The other symptom is, the steering is rotating freely (freely deosnt mean like a good steering, but comparitively free from idle) when i give some revs, but while idling it is acting tight.

Using Valvoline-Synthetic p/s fluid.

Any ideas/suggestions? Thinking of replacing the pump or rebuilding it with any necessary parts.

thanks,
-Pavan.

NeedForSpeed 01-17-2006 02:26 PM

Have you checked the fluid level?

dcarrb 01-17-2006 02:27 PM

Have you checked the drive belt condition/tension? A slipping belt will screech under load, as when you turn the wheel, and since the same belt drives the alternator, when it's slipping, the ALT isn't turning as fast as it should, causing the dash warning lights to illuminate.

If the belt's not worn or loose, the slippage could be caused by the idler pulley or PS pump is trying to seize.

dcb

pavanbabut 01-17-2006 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeedForSpeed
Have you checked the fluid level?

Hi Ron,
the fluid is upto to the mark and I have replaced it last week with new fluid.

thanks,
-Pavan.

pavanbabut 01-17-2006 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcarrb
Have you checked the drive belt condition/tension? A slipping belt will screech under load, as when you turn the wheel, and since the same belt drives the alternator, when it's slipping, the ALT isn't turning as fast as it should, causing the dash warning lights to illuminate.

If the belt's not worn or loose, the slippage could be caused by the idler pulley or PS pump is trying to seize.

dcb

Coming to belts. My A/C belt is not good but works and will replace it next week. Coming to steering belt, it is in good condition and not too tight and not too loose. But as far as i remember there is some oil dripping drop by drop slowly, if I try to trun the steering either too fast or full turns. Have to figure out the source of dripping. The dripping seems just b/n the tranny and the exhaust pipe behind the engine (hoping it is from p/s column or something). Checked all the steering hoses and clamps, all r in good condition.

Thanks
-Pavan.

SilverSpear 01-17-2006 03:33 PM

Hope you don't have issues with your steering rack :o

pavanbabut 01-17-2006 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverSpear
Hope you don't have issues with your steering rack :o

:confused: :confused: :(

RojoRocket 01-17-2006 04:02 PM

"Using Valvoline-Synthetic p/s fluid"

Hate to tell you Pavan, but the Steering Box uses ATF, not p/s fluid. Check the How To section under Steering/Flushing etc. :(

Glenn

Earthworm 01-17-2006 04:23 PM

There are several posts on this subject.

- belt problem
- pump problem
- pulley problem
- bearing problem

RojoRocket 01-17-2006 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Earthworm

- belt problem
- pump problem
- pulley problem
- bearing problem

How about wrong fluid problem? :eek:

Glenn

Earthworm 01-17-2006 04:42 PM

Unless you put motor/diff oil in there it shouldn't cause those problems.

Dexron 2/3 or even actual PS fluid will work.

RojoRocket 01-17-2006 05:51 PM

uh, ok..........

pavanbabut 01-17-2006 06:11 PM

Quote:

- belt problem
- pump problem
- pulley problem
- bearing problem

I wouldnt mind checking these one by one, if you can gimme some steps to follow for it. I will try changing the fluid too in case.

-Pavan

Earthworm 01-17-2006 06:23 PM

- remove belt & inspect for missing chunks, wear
- turn the PS pulley, Alt pulley and tensioner by hand. All should spin free and quiet.
- inspect crank pully for separation

If all appear to be ok put the belt back on and tighten properly. If it still squeals tighten a bit more. (repeat as necessary)

pavanbabut 01-17-2006 08:43 PM

Thanks David, I will do this on the weekend. Before tht I have to check for the dripping oil.

-Pavan

Quote:

- remove belt & inspect for missing chunks, wear
- turn the PS pulley, Alt pulley and tensioner by hand. All should spin free and quiet.
- inspect crank pully for separation

If all appear to be ok put the belt back on and tighten properly. If it still squeals tighten a bit more. (repeat as necessary)