The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   My SVx is not as fast as I thought.... (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=49078)

jcimos 02-11-2009 11:38 AM

My SVx is not as fast as I thought....

I wasn't sure if Technical was the best place to ask this question, so here i go anyway. When I got my car it was for the looks not really for the muscle. The Svx has 230hp right? Why does mine feel like it has 130hp. Is the svx tunable? What do i need to start doing to build up the motor?

jcimos

SVXRide 02-11-2009 11:41 AM

Re: My SVx is not as fast as I thought....

Welcome to the Network family! There are plenty of existing threads that will directly address your questions. Just let the "Search" feature be your friend.:cool::D
-Bill

SoCal LS-L 02-11-2009 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcimos (Post 587020)
I wasn't sure if Technical was the best place to ask this question, so here i go anyway. When I got my car it was for the looks not really for the muscle. The Svx has 230hp right? Why does mine feel like it has 130hp. Is the svx tunable? What do i need to start doing to build up the motor?

jcimos

Dont forget the SVX is obese.... like 3500lbs. The first thing id check is the easiest... the air filter. Also you ARE using premium fuel right?? Lower grade fuel will make the ECU retard the timing and enrich the mixture to prevent knocking.... and reduce power noticably. If not those things.... there may be tougher to find issues such as timing belt slippage or sensor malfunctions. No check engine light on?

Hondasucks 02-11-2009 11:58 AM

Main reason is it's 230 HP in a nearly-4000lb car with AWD, an automatic transmission, and a 3.54 final drive ratio. Good for cruising comfortably on the highway, and having enough power to still be fun, but a rocketship it is not.

There are ways to tune it up, the search function will benefit you greatly! :)

Crazy_pilot 02-11-2009 12:22 PM

One thing you will find if you intend to up the power of the car beyond stock, well running, HP levels, is that the cost increases almost exponentially the farther you go. Intake and exhaust might get you up to ~250 HP, but even that will likely cost you $1500, and then you'll max out your stock MAF. That means it's either time for an ECUTune chip, or a manual transmission swap and Hydra engine management. Now you're well into the thousands of dollars. It goes on from there.

The realistic fact is, if you want something that will leave clouds of tire smoke at will, buy a different car. Getting more power out of this one is incredibly tedious and expensive.

jcimos 02-11-2009 12:38 PM

Okay, well this is whats in my svx already. It has a 5 speed wrx tranny, dual exhaust MegaFlow system, fuel pressure regulator, and a SAFAC II module. I always try to put premium and when i use mid grade I add octane booster. The check engine light is on and it is read code 23, something to do with my mass airflow senor i believe. Besides that no real tune. Could it be my SAFAC II needs to be tuned?

Jcimos

sicksubie 02-11-2009 12:50 PM

SAFAC are you using and how did you get it to work with the SVX? I have never heard of anyone using one on a SVX.... BTW if you are throwing a code for a faulty MAF that would affect your performance tremendously....

SoCal LS-L 02-11-2009 12:56 PM

Yeah your MAF code would be the absolute first place to start. Thats the holy grail of air/fuel management for the fuel injection system.

jcimos 02-11-2009 01:02 PM

I not going to lie to you guys, the previous owner went to a tuning shop and had it installed. Do i need to replace my MAF or just the pig tail to get rid of that code. Or should i just clean it?

sicksubie 02-11-2009 01:08 PM

try cleaning it and frankly I would be tempted to pull that safc out completely. You dont want to add complicated variables to a problem...

Mike621 02-11-2009 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcimos (Post 587029)
Okay, well this is whats in my svx already. It has a 5 speed wrx tranny, dual exhaust MegaFlow system, fuel pressure regulator, and a SAFAC II module. I always try to put premium and when i use mid grade I add octane booster. The check engine light is on and it is read code 23, something to do with my mass airflow senor i believe. Besides that no real tune. Could it be my SAFAC II needs to be tuned?

Jcimos

What year and color is this car? Just wondering if I knew a previous owner...

Freeman 02-11-2009 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot (Post 587028)
One thing you will find if you intend to up the power of the car beyond stock, well running, HP levels, is that the cost increases almost exponentially the farther you go. Intake and exhaust might get you up to ~250 HP, but even that will likely cost you $1500, and then you'll max out your stock MAF. That means it's either time for an ECUTune chip, or a manual transmission swap and Hydra engine management. Now you're well into the thousands of dollars. It goes on from there.

The realistic fact is, if you want something that will leave clouds of tire smoke at will, buy a different car. Getting more power out of this one is incredibly tedious and expensive.

This, of course, makes it amazingly worth it in the end...

newsvx 02-11-2009 07:46 PM

Okay, what's a SAFAC?????:confused:

Harry

Quote:

Originally Posted by sicksubie (Post 587033)
SAFAC are you using and how did you get it to work with the SVX? I have never heard of anyone using one on a SVX.... BTW if you are throwing a code for a faulty MAF that would affect your performance tremendously....

SuberNatural 02-11-2009 07:54 PM

SAFAC = poor man's tuing and usually lead to a dead motor due to running too lean, etc.

OP, do a general tune-up on the car... plugs, etc.. (or at least inspect them)

Crazy_pilot 02-11-2009 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freeman (Post 587081)
This, of course, makes it amazingly worth it in the end...

:lol::lol: If I had the money.....Maybe that should be the network's slogan?