The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Resonator (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=46845)

kis86 11-08-2008 09:33 AM

Resonator

I have an awful sound coming from my exhaust at low low speeds, and was told it was the resonator. Probably a stupid question, but what is this, how much is one, and can i just get it taken out without a huge change in exhaust loudness?
Thanks!

Manarius 11-08-2008 04:35 PM

Re: Resonator

Quote:

Originally Posted by kis86 (Post 571728)
I have an awful sound coming from my exhaust at low low speeds, and was told it was the resonator. Probably a stupid question, but what is this, how much is one, and can i just get it taken out without a huge change in exhaust loudness?
Thanks!

Get it cut out. Little change in loudness. Just make sure it's welded up correctly.

Blacky 11-08-2008 04:42 PM

The resonator is similar to a muffler. Look under the car from just in front of the rear wheels. Follow the exhaust pipe forward from the muffler and the next big bulge is the resonator. Mine was removed and a piece of pipe welded in with very little change in sound, just a tiny bit raspier.
It's around $300.00 from Subaru but aftermarket will work.

kis86 11-08-2008 04:49 PM

I think I'll try just having it taken out. Thanks for the help!

svxistentialist 11-08-2008 05:23 PM

The resonator is there for a reason. It is positioned at a nodal point in the exhaust stream. It affects the velocity at which the engine scavenges burnt gases, particularly at low revs.

If you replace it with a straight pipe your car will produce lower torque at low revs, and we all know the SVX prefers to change up gears quick and runs at low revs most of the time.

My advice is to replace it with a cheaper aftermarket resonator. The Subaru one is way too expensive, particularly as we know they all eventually rattle, so it is not exactly Rolls Royce build.

My 2c

Joe

Manarius 11-08-2008 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxistentialist (Post 571774)
The resonator is there for a reason. It is positioned at a nodal point in the exhaust stream. It affects the velocity at which the engine scavenges burnt gases, particularly at low revs.

If you replace it with a straight pipe your car will produce lower torque at low revs, and we all know the SVX prefers to change up gears quick and runs at low revs most of the time.

My advice is to replace it with a cheaper aftermarket resonator. The Subaru one is way too expensive, particularly as we know they all eventually rattle, so it is not exactly Rolls Royce build.

My 2c

Joe

I have the resonator delete and I can't really feel any lower torque than any other SVX I've ridden in.

kis86 11-08-2008 05:44 PM

If I replace it with an after-market one, any recommendations?

svxistentialist 11-08-2008 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manarius (Post 571778)
I have the resonator delete and I can't really feel any lower torque than any other SVX I've ridden in.

Jason, I did the straight pipe on my claret, and I never liked the sound of the exhaust afterwards. Blacky mentioned raspier, but mine had a blare that was hard to like.

The change in torque will be minimal and not easy to notice by seat of the pants. It will only have an effect at low [1500-2000 rpm] revs. Higher than this horsepower output increases and the lack of torque can't be noticed.

It's likely the reduction of low rpm torque will only show as higher consumption around town, not on the open road.

Jegs would be where I would look for a replacement.

Joe

Manarius 11-08-2008 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxistentialist (Post 571782)
Jason, I did the straight pipe on my claret, and I never liked the sound of the exhaust afterwards. Blacky mentioned raspier, but mine had a blare that was hard to like.

The change in torque will be minimal and not easy to notice by seat of the pants. It will only have an effect at low [1500-2000 rpm] revs. Higher than this horsepower output increases and the lack of torque can't be noticed.

It's likely the reduction of low rpm torque will only show as higher consumption around town, not on the open road.

Jegs would be where I would look for a replacement.

Joe

I guess that's fair. My exhaust isn't perfect. It's a budget exhaust. If I had money, I would have replaced the resonator with another resonator, but since I was strapped for cash, the straight pipe stayed. It sounds a little different and I don't mind so much.

svxcess 11-09-2008 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kis86 (Post 571780)
If I replace it with an after-market one, any recommendations?

The Aero AR25 is a great resonator. It runs about $60.00.

AR25 resonator

Here is a photo of it installed in my 96 Polo

Verocious Motorsports also has a Magnaflow resonator 14416 It is a 4" round diameter, 14" long, (20" overall) for $67.00 or less
http://www.performancepeddler.com/de...D=MAG14416#img

kis86 11-09-2008 08:19 AM

Hmm, maybe I'll look at replacing it if it's less than 100 bucks said and done. Is it 2 1/2" or 2"?

svxcess 11-09-2008 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kis86 (Post 571823)
Hmm, maybe I'll look at replacing it if it's less than 100 bucks said and done. Is it 2 1/2" or 2"?

The AR25 resonator is 2.5" in and 2.5" out.

I also had AR20 resonators installed in place of the front cats for awhile. They were 2" in and 2" out (see photo) They work well for the 1992-1995 SVX, but my 96 with OBDII needed true cats up front, so I replaced them with Magnaflow cats very inexpensively.

Hondasucks 11-09-2008 10:56 AM

I've also heard of people using a Cherry Bomb type muffler as a resonator but I don't know how it would affect the sound, but they run ~$30 at most auto parts stores.

TN_fwdsvx 11-10-2008 06:53 AM

SVXCESS;

How did you handle the offset in the stock resonator? Did you replace the entire pipe run of the stock resonator? Or cut out the old and install new resonator in old pipe?
Thanks for sharing your experence!

XT6Wagon 11-10-2008 07:52 AM

If you want your car to be quiet and not have any part of the rev range boom or get stupidly loud, try two resonators of different lengths.