The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Tranny flare and TPS (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=32473)

SVX-FF 04-03-2006 10:23 PM

Tranny flare and TPS

If the TPS is bad or out of adjustment will the tranny flare from 2nd to 3rd under heavy acceleration and not light acceleration?

Hey Harvey, this may be you chance to give me good news. :D

Steve

dwd1985 04-04-2006 01:29 AM

Yes, a misadjusted TPS will cause a 2-3 flare.

oab_au 04-04-2006 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVX-FF
If the TPS is bad or out of adjustment will the tranny flare from 2nd to 3rd under heavy acceleration and not light acceleration?

Hey Harvey, this may be you chance to give me good news. :D

Steve

Oh shizz, it would be the band for anybody else Steve, but in your case it is probably the high clutch.:eek:

If its band adjustment, the band releases before the high clutch has been applied, so it just revs, till the high clutch comes on. If it is the high clutch, it comes on but slips. You can tell the difference by the way it revs on the change. If it just revs free and high, it's the band. If it seem like it is slower to build the rpms, like it's under load, its the clutch.

Harvey.;)

SVX-FF 04-04-2006 05:58 AM

It is the high clutch. The tranny shop has replaced the high clutch package after only 2 weeks of driving. The band break is new and the pump has been rebuilt. They replaced a solenoid and still are getting low line pressure. I told them about the resister behind the battery but was not sure about the TPS.

Under the advice of Tom (svxfiles) I an going to have them test the TPS to ensure it is working properly.

If there is anything I can tell them that would be great.

Steve

Earthworm 04-04-2006 10:27 AM

Wow, what WON'T be new in this tranny? :eek:

TomsSVX 04-04-2006 11:23 AM

cool fluid:rolleyes: Good luck with it man

Tom

SVX-FF 04-04-2006 01:44 PM

I just got off the phone with the tranny shop and the TPS was a little low but no problem there. The drop resistor is not working correctly.

Line pressure at idle was about 63, good there, WOT was about 154, below min of 16?. They are ordering a new drop resistor. Man I hope this fixes it.

I was told that there is only 6 drop resistors left in the country. :eek: Who has been taking them. :mad: :p

Steve

Earthworm 04-04-2006 02:08 PM

That's too bad...I could have sold you mine!

intelisevil 04-04-2006 03:11 PM

Don't buy one, fix yours!

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=29344

Dan

TomsSVX 04-04-2006 03:14 PM

or just get a 5mt... only electrical is for the reverse lights:D

Tom

intelisevil 04-04-2006 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX

Tom

Starter lock out?

We'd all have 5/6 speeds if someone was still making install kits . . . :(

Just kidding, I understand having too much to do and too little time. Maybe we have to revisit that idea about burning down your favorite bar! ;)

Dan

TomsSVX 04-04-2006 05:32 PM

hey, its not the bar's fault. I have remanded my visits to once a week. It's Temple University's fault for giving me too many papers and not enough time

Tom

SVX-FF 04-04-2006 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by intelisevil

I would but then I would loose my two year warranty on the tranny.

Jim is actully sugesting that I get the shift kit and he will still honor the warranty. :cool:

Steve

SVX-FF 04-04-2006 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX

Tom

I wish, but I have already sunk 2300 into this auto. I need to keep it for know.

Steve

SVX-FF 04-06-2006 11:57 AM

I'm picking her up in 2 hours

Jim called and told me that the resistor was the problem and that the car ran great. NO FLARE.

I am so excited to get her back. I've been driving a 95 Dodge Acclaim. It'
s a loaner car to drive but it really really suck compared to my SVX.

(counting the time until 3pm)
Steve