The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Bad day at the dragstrip! (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=32180)

Myxalplyx 03-19-2006 01:34 PM

Bad day at the dragstrip!

Was searching for a 14 second 1/4 mile when I went to Englishtown today. Only got in two runs. First run I ran a 15.8@86mph. This was Chike's car previously and he was running a 15.0 1/4 mile. The temperature outside was around 44 degrees F so hot air wasn't the problem.

My 2nd and final run I was staged against an Acura RSX. On the last yellow light, I went to floor the gas pedal and the car died. :eek: This has never happened before and I could not duplicate the problem afterwards but it died on the line. I turned the ignition off and turned it back on and took off. I did not get a time for that run for some reason.

I know my 19" rims are part of the reason my time sucks. The wheels are three sizes higher than the lightweight RX7 wheels I have in my basement. I may put them on next time. I decided to stop while I was ahead before something else happened. Sorry I could not represent the SVX community. :( People did like the car though.

NikFu S. 03-19-2006 01:38 PM

You might wanna preload the tranny next time you floor it from a stop with those huge wheels on.
--
I cannot fathom the source of your stalling problem.

ensteele 03-19-2006 02:15 PM

It wasn't your day. That happens sometimes. :o

SVXRide 03-19-2006 02:30 PM

Kevin,
I agree that your rims are a major part of the problem here. Another thing to consider is that Chike is a skinny guy:rolleyes: :p
-Bill
seriously, how much gas did you have in the tank and how much heavier do you think you are than Chike?

AvPPoW 03-19-2006 02:34 PM

you were at e-town and didn't tell the Jersey crew? :(

Myxalplyx 03-19-2006 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVXRide
Kevin,
I agree that your rims are a major part of the problem here. Another thing to consider is that Chike is a skinny guy:rolleyes: :p
-Bill
seriously, how much gas did you have in the tank and how much heavier do you think you are than Chike?

Bill,

I had a little less than 1/4 of a tank of gas. I weigh around 208lbs. Chike is around 160 something if I remember correctly. Yeah, that doesn't help things. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by AvPPoW
you were at e-town and didn't tell the Jersey crew? :(

I didn't know there was a Jersey crew. :o I will post up a thread next time to see who wants to head up for some gool ole bracket racing. Not sure which cars I will be taking up though. It'd be either the SVX, OBS or XT6 (Most likely the XT6 since that will be my bracket car). The SVX was taken up for testing purposes.

SVXRide 03-19-2006 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myxalplyx
Bill,

I had a little less than 1/4 of a tank of gas. I weigh around 208lbs. Chike is around 160 something if I remember correctly. Yeah, that doesn't help things. :D

Kevin,
Okay, if we use the old 100#=.1 second rule, we might have .2 of a second worth of the problem. Wasn't Chike's 15.06 before he installed the cams? (not to say the cams are a problem, just trying to establish a baseline). I also remember that Chike always removed the passenger's side front corner to allow air to flow into what's left of the air box in the wheel well. Even if you didn't do that, I doubt it would be worth more than a .1 anyway. My sense is that there is something else going on. What was your 60' time?
-Bill

Chiketkd 03-19-2006 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVXRide
Kevin,
Okay, if we use the old 100#=.1 second rule, we might have .2 of a second worth of the problem. Wasn't Chike's 15.06 before he installed the cams? (not to say the cams are a problem, just trying to establish a baseline). I also remember that Chike always removed the passenger's side front corner to allow air to flow into what's left of the air box in the wheel well. Even if you didn't do that, I doubt it would be worth more than a .1 anyway. My sense is that there is something else going on. What was your 60' time?
-Bill

I would agree with that analysis as well Bill. I weigh 170lbs, and I would also remove the spare tire and tools from the car. The RX-7 wheels and tires weigh 37lbs while Kevin's 19" rims weigh a tad over 50lbs each if I remember correctly.

I would also brake and bring the trans up to stall speed before launching. I got consistent 2.1 60ft times this way.

Myxalplyx 03-19-2006 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiketkd
I would also brake and bring the trans up to stall speed before launching. I got consistent 2.1 60ft times this way.

I would LOVE to do this. Two things bother me though. 1) The clicking axle problem, 2)No tranny cooler. I am a HUGE fan of a tranny cooler. Somehow I feel if I start brake torquing this car, I'm going to start having issues. I know how to brake torque since I have been doing it for years. I am just a little concerned on this car since it doesn't have a tranny cooler.

I didn't brake torque properly the first time. The throttle response threw me off and was so snappy, I thought I was going to red light. I let off, hit it again and still redlighted. :p I know this is irrelevant to the whole 1/4 mile thing though but I was bracket racing.

Will see about swapping out the rims to see what affect it has.

Here are the drag slip details.

Reaction: -.172
60': 2.304
330: 6.556
1/8: 10.089
MPH: 68.68
1000: 13.188
1/4: 15.802
MPH: 86.34

NikFu S. 03-19-2006 08:47 PM

Chike Bob's theory is brake torqueing reduces the impact of a sudden leaden take off.
I think if you take it to 1k or so you can be good and not worry about heat issues.
But with the massive rims, I think more harm would be done by not preloading the converter even slightly.

Your 60' is faster than mine. Everything up to the 1/8th is, but your 1/8th trap is somehow 2.7mph slower.

Seems in comparison you lost mid range, so I wanna say the hugenormous wheels did more damage then your 40lbs or so of Myxalweight.
Picked up .5mph by the 1/4.

___60': 2.304___2.465___-0.161 faster
__330: 6.556___6.669____-0.113 faster, slowing
_1/8: 10.089___10.142___-0.053 faster, slowing
_MPH: 68.68___71.410___-2.730__----
_1/4: 15.802___15.627___+0.175 slower, gaining
_MPH: 86.34___88.560___+2.220__----

Chiketkd 03-19-2006 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myxalplyx
I would LOVE to do this. Two things bother me though. 1) The clicking axle problem, 2)No tranny cooler. I am a HUGE fan of a tranny cooler.

Pick up a used axle for $40 and replace the clicking one, and install a $50-$60 trans cooler. Also, remember that the PWR radiator has a huge 5 pass trans cooler, so the atf in your trans will be kept cooler than a stock SVX w/o a trans cooler.

Couple other questions: 1) Did you use the factory intake set-up with the STI panel filter? 2) Did you do the rudimentary MAF bypass mod?

We know the car is making 170-175whp depending on which correction scale is used, so power should not be an issue. Not sure what caused the stalling, but I'd check simple things like the ATF level in your trans.

Ricochet 03-20-2006 12:06 AM

sell those bigass bling blings and get some smaller wheels

92SVXLS-LDC 03-20-2006 12:19 AM

my car stalled exactly like that at a stop-light when i was jokin around with a friend... i stomped on it and it killed... pretty funny at the time, didnt think much of it though..

NikFu S. 03-20-2006 08:41 PM

Any light blue smoke or gassy smell starting up after the stall?

I wonder if there was a sudden massive vacuum loss.

92SVXLS-LDC 03-22-2006 12:35 AM

nothin of the sorts for me... cant vouch for him though...