The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   clunking (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=26985)

freak customs 06-25-2005 03:35 PM

clunking

while driving i hear a "clunking" under the front (mostly left side) every time i hit even a ripple in the road... the bigger the bump, the bigger the clunk. also, when i turn right into my driveway and hit the small bump at the beginning i get a loud "bang" almost like it's turning a direction it's not meant to. i'm looking at either struts, ball joints, or control arm bushings bad but i can't manage to re-create the noise even slightly when the car is off the ground. when i shake the wheel vertically there's no play... horizontally there's no play. this leads me to struts but at $700 for koni's (won't bother with oe) i don't wanna make the mistake of replacing and still having the noise.

any help or suggestions to confirm strut noise, etc would be helpful.

lee 06-25-2005 05:33 PM

turn the wheel all the way to the right and look at the sway bar bushing in front of the A-arm, just at the frame rail - what you describe is exactly what mine sounded like when the bushing died - look carefully as mine was still there, but just in very bad shape.

benebob 06-25-2005 05:47 PM

I like Lee's idea. Our race threw one on the track in May. Made a similar noise but honestly it got me the best time of the day without it :D . Other thing I'd look at would be the strut mount. I wouldn't think it would be the strut itself that would cause that but nice try convincing yourself that you need Koni's.

freak customs 06-25-2005 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benebob
I like Lee's idea. Our race threw one on the track in May. Made a similar noise but honestly it got me the best time of the day without it :D . Other thing I'd look at would be the strut mount. I wouldn't think it would be the strut itself that would cause that but nice try convincing yourself that you need Koni's.

haha! i'm going for koni's either way... just a matter of what's getting replaced first :D i pulled the strut out when i first found the clunking but the mount was in good shape (not even scratched, let alone worn or damaged anywhere). when i change the struts i will be changing the mounts just in case... i don't want to leave anything unrepaired to break later.

i'll check the sway bar bushings tomorrow. that's something i didn't even think about. i would assume i'm looking to see if they're torn, falling out, or just gone?

thanks for the help :)

freak customs 06-27-2005 04:33 PM

well, i finally got the chance to look under it today and it was the sway bar bushing (or the fact that tere was no bushing left). thanks for the suggestion lee :)