The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   SVX just not impressing people anymore? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=61253)

FM977 02-02-2013 10:36 AM

SVX just not impressing people anymore?

Hello, this isn't a sales thread. I just wanted to get some people's opinions.

I have a really nice pearl white (2 tone with black top) 92 LSL (AWD) that I've owned for quite some time. It's in very nice condition except the leather is a little worn inside. I recently had it repainted and even more recently clear coated because I wasn't satisfied with the shine. Now, it's shines nicely and looks beautiful when it's clean. It has no dents and a few, barely noticeable dings in the side. But they're so small you can't even tell.

Being a single guy, I go out on a lot of dates and this car doesn't seem to impress any of them. All the women I go out with simply think it's just another old car. One even suggested I use it as a work car since it's so old. Currently, I'm using another Subaru as a work car.

I used to get stares and comments all the time back in the day (early 2000s) etc but that doesn't happen anymore. People don't even think twice about the split windows. The only comments I do get are from current or former SVX owners. Otherwise, people don't even know what it is and don't even care. They mistake it for a Mitsubishi eclipse or some other1990s-mobile.

Because of this, I'm contemplating selling it even though it's in great shape (mechanically and physically). People seem to be impressed with Audis or newer Mercedes these days.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Am I making a mistake and should I hold onto it? Or should I sell it and by a nice used Auidi or something. My thoughts are the car is becoming dated and it might be time for an upgrade.

Also, I don't mean any offense to avid SVX lovers here.

Thanks

Wikedjuggalo 02-02-2013 10:48 AM

Re: SVX just not impressing people anymore?

Just because people don't comment doesn't mean its not interesting. I am sure there are kids you pass that sit and there wonder "What the hell is that car with the funky windows". I wouldn't be worry about what others think rather what I think of my own car. Basically comes down to : Do I enjoy it? Yes. Do I like being seen in it? Yes. Do I care what others think? No.

Sorry if that comes off harsh. But personally I would not sell my car because of what others think.

FM977 02-02-2013 11:07 AM

I appreciate the feedback. However, being a single guy I want something that impresses the women even if it's just a little bit. I do enjoy my SVX but when driving it compared to something like my Company's Trail Blazer, the power leaves much to be desired.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a car in the 3-7k range? I rally like V8 Grand Cherokees (99 or newer - not the first model that came out), Audis (2000 or newer model), Jag XJ8s (2000 or newer). However, I don't want a maintenance bucket. I'm thinking if I sell my SVX and Outback Legacy, I can use the proceeds from that as well as some cash I have built up to by a fairly nice, newer vehicle.

benebob 02-02-2013 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FM977 (Post 719364)
I appreciate the feedback. However, being a single guy I want something that impresses the women even if it's just a little bit. I do enjoy my SVX but when driving it compared to something like my Company's Trail Blazer, the power leaves much to be desired.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a car in the 3-7k range? I rally like V8 Grand Cherokees (99 or newer - not the first model that came out), Audis (2000 or newer model), Jag XJ8s (2000 or newer). However, I don't want a maintenance bucket. I'm thinking if I sell my SVX and Outback Legacy, I can use the proceeds from that as well as some cash I have built up to by a fairly nice, newer vehicle.

Honestly, I've never met a girl who was impressed with any car that a guy had (unless there was a big old bow on it with a card attached to it). In reality, most people aren't impressed with anything that isn't the newest latest, greatest thing that the media tells them they should like. If that is what you are trying to base your relationships on I feel for ya but will tell you that my SVX was so much more of a maint. bucket then either of my Jags or even my TVR is and none of those cars would be something I would classify as a chick magnet either. Just nice, fun ecconomical cars to drive and own

Conn SVX 02-02-2013 11:31 AM

Wow the cars you mention are just that..maintenance buckets IMHO..
My car has plenty of power. I still get stares and looks, actually double takes.
The problem is back in 2001 the SVX was unusual looking. more like double take. Now a lot of cars have caught up. It blends in better.
Impressing a Girl! Paint it RED most women do not look at color than technology. You could pick up a hick in a tan Vet and they would not be impressed. If you are only trying to get a girl you can get with a car, you are looking at the wrong women.

Sean486 02-02-2013 11:48 AM

I think this whole thread is ridiculous. If you care more about what other people think than you care for your SVX then you should sell it.

crazyhorse 02-02-2013 12:31 PM

I agree that, if you are looking for a woman who's impressed by your car, youre going at it wrong.

What you have to think about is, does it still impress YOU. With the svx being a classic (and classy) semi-exotic car, its mostly unknown outside car culture. Just because a woman doesnt comment on your car, doesnt mean she didnt notice it.

ensteele 02-02-2013 12:35 PM

The first thing I thought of when I started to read this thread is that you are looking for the wrong girl. If they care more about your car than you, I would not look back. There are so many different cars on the road now that it is hard to know what anything is anymore. If you like it, drive it. If not, sell it. Most of us don't care what others think, but have this car because of the features it has and the way it drives.

I'm single and when I drive my Corvette, most women don't give a rip either. The SVX is cheaper so you are better off going with the SVX and change where you are going to meet women. ;) :lol:

icingdeath88 02-02-2013 12:38 PM

Someone posted this on the facebook group page a few days ago, I think it's relevant.

http://i.imgur.com/28nX5Z5.jpg

ensteele 02-02-2013 12:38 PM

One other reason they are not impressed is that you have not registered your SVX yet and don't have that sharp impressive badge that everyone else has. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

theflystyle 02-02-2013 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean486 (Post 719369)
I think this whole thread is ridiculous. If you care more about what other people think than you care for your SVX then you should sell it.

+million

/thread

Blacky 02-02-2013 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icingdeath88 (Post 719373)
Someone posted this on the facebook group page a few days ago, I think it's relevant.

http://i.imgur.com/28nX5Z5.jpg

That would make an excellent poster!

B 4 You 02-02-2013 01:01 PM

If you really want to get people to notice you, get a Volkswagen or a Civic. Put bags on it and a $4000 set of wheels. Boys and girls will notice you. Mostly because it's shiny. I personally love standing out in the crowd. :)

icingdeath88 02-02-2013 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Conn SVX (Post 719367)
Impressing a Girl! Paint it RED most women do not look at color than technology.

Quote:

Originally Posted by benebob (Post 719366)
Honestly, I've never met a girl who was impressed with any car that a guy had (unless there was a big old bow on it with a card attached to it).

^ All good advice. Also what Earl said. Most girls will only get excited about well-known luxury brand names like Porsche, and that's it.

When I had my white SVX, in excellent shape, I got tons of comments, about half "what the hell is that?", 1/4 "what's up with the windows?", and 1/4 about how nice it looked. Almost all of them were from guys, girls never seem to have anything to say. I will say, that girls do admire the interior, when it's in really good shape, and especially when they're in the driver's seat.

If you want to make it stand out more, maybe put some nice wheels on it. Tasteful, but standing out. That will immediately set it apart as something that someone should take a second look at. Many people who like the SVX design didn't like it the first time they saw it, only after taking a little time to consider the design.

Crazy_pilot 02-02-2013 01:41 PM

Young people these days care less and less about cars. These are the days of instant gratification, newest/greatest, and disposable everything. People who are lining up to get the newest smartphone are only interested in the newest, shiniest, most jazzed up cars available (regardless of whether they can afford them or not). And those cars are forgotten in a year when something with newer LED headlights comes along. A 20 year old car that doesn't have Bluetooth isn't even a blip on the radar.

Here's something I wrote on a Facebook entry a while back: Owning this car makes no sense. It's loud, stiff, has a small trunk and useless rear seats, isn't great on gas, and has cost me a small fortune. But every time I get out of it I have the biggest, stupidest grin on my face and I realize that sometimes things don't have to make sense.

I don't plan on selling my SVX in the foreseeable future. Part of this is that there's not way I could recoup anything close to the amount of money I've put into it, but another part is that this car is a part of my story. It's taken me all over the place, taught me much of what I know about cars, gives me something to tinker with in my spare time, gives me goals, and makes me genuinely happy to drive.