The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Uh, oh . . . (cruise) (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=23760)

wasions 01-11-2005 08:37 PM

Uh, oh . . . (cruise)

Well, I got a rebuilt axle and changed the plugs (for the first time) today. For some reason, the tech must have disconnected the battery, because the clock had to be reset, along with the radio presets. Now the darned (sorry) cruise control won't set. The push switch turns it on (the light anyway) but the lever on the steering column does nothing. So is there a reset switch somewhere, or something? Darn, that irritates me! (Ooops, I did it again.)

ensteele 01-11-2005 09:34 PM

Steve

I am sure (I think) that you have tried pushing the button more than once. I know that it sometimes takes a few pushes to turn it on, but I have never heard of it turning on (the light), but not doing anything.

Oh, I just thought of something. Sometimes someone will knock off the little vaccume hose under the hood if they are doing other things there and once that is put back on, it will work again. I hope that does it. Let me know.

:) :) :) :)

svxcess 01-11-2005 10:09 PM

Definitely check the cruise control vacuum hose. It connects to a small black cylindrical modulator, which is attached to the firewall on the driver's side, just to the left of the brake fluid reservoir. Look around in that area for a disconnected small black hose.

This is easy to accidentally disconnect (especially if you are checking tranny fluid and most definitely when you are changing the rear plugs. Jist find it, plug it back onto the nipple on the modulator and all should be fine.

BordeauxComet 01-11-2005 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ensteele
I know that it sometimes takes a few pushes to turn it on, but I have never heard of it turning on (the light), but not doing anything.
I'm having the same problem. The light comes on (sometimes after a few pushes) but the lever doesn't do anything.

I'll check the vacuum hose like you guys suggested.

UberRoo 01-12-2005 11:43 AM

My cruise has the classic problem where you have to rattle the button a few times to get it to stay on. A while ago I was trying to get it to turn on when suddenly I got the Christmas tree dashboard. I pulled over and opened the hood to make sure it was the alternator belt. ...it wasn't. I pop open the fuse panel and look inside. Hmm... Everything looks good. So I start the car again and magically the problem is gone.

I start driving again and the problem immediately returns. As I check over my shoulder to take a lane, I bump the fuse panel with my foot and the lights go out. Hmmm... I kick it a few more times and the lights flicker off and on. It did that for a few weeks every time I kicked it, but it hasn't done it since then. ...and the cruise hasn't worked since then either. I think the two are related - at least in my case.

blownb310 05-11-2007 12:51 PM

Good stuff in this thread, but I read it to the end and no one posted what if anything fixed the problem. Results please! :D

ensteele 05-11-2007 04:00 PM

Probably the vaccum hose. :)

Trevor 05-11-2007 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blownb310
Good stuff in this thread, but I read it to the end and no one posted what if anything fixed the problem. Results please! :D

COULD fix the problem??

As pointed out above by ensteele.

Alternatively you should note that the thread indicates that the on/off switch, or the associated circuitry could be faulty. :confused: ;)