The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   33 swap no start (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=61680)

cruisen_15 05-08-2013 06:26 PM

33 swap no start

swapped a 33 into my impreza and have been unable to start it.
i have spark,fuel,and compression...
ive checked my engine timing 5+ times.. dead on using every diagram and knowledge i know.
ive tried a known good ecu...
ive tried different cam/crank sensors...
ive checked grounds many times..
my compression is around 140psi on all cyls.. (i have low comp ratio)

I didnt use a svx wiring harness, i had legacy wiring harnesses and put together my own custom harness using mitchel and alldata wiring diagrams.

Anyone have some ideas for me to try? It just cranks and the very few times ive seen it try and start it sounds like bad timing/misfiring.. i have clean plugs on cyl 1 and 4.. other plugs are black. :confused:

oab_au 05-08-2013 08:01 PM

Re: 33 swap no start

Quote:

Originally Posted by cruisen_15 (Post 723919)
swapped a 33 into my impreza and have been unable to start it.
i have spark,fuel,and compression...
ive checked my engine timing 5+ times.. dead on using every diagram and knowledge i know.
ive tried a known good ecu...
ive tried different cam/crank sensors...
ive checked grounds many times..
my compression is around 140psi on all cyls.. (i have low comp ratio)

I didnt use a svx wiring harness, i had legacy wiring harnesses and put together my own custom harness using mitchel and alldata wiring diagrams.

Anyone have some ideas for me to try? It just cranks and the very few times ive seen it try and start it sounds like bad timing/misfiring.. i have clean plugs on cyl 1 and 4.. other plugs are black. :confused:

It does seem to have fuel and spark as it does fire.
As you have 'cut and shut' the wiring, there could be a few problems.
Can you still pull a code from the ECU?
It could be that the timing sensors are ok, but there is more fuel in there, like if the pressure regulator was on full pressure, no vacuum connection.
That or one of the timing sensors is faulty.

Harvey.

cruisen_15 05-08-2013 10:19 PM

I have been unable to get a code..
i also have the aeromotive 340lph fuel pump but im using the oem regulator and stock injectors right now..I dont see it being soo rich that it wont even start. I could get more cam and crank sensors but I hate throwing parts at it. They worked before on an older 33 I had, idk how in the past 2 years they could have gone bad just sitting in a bin..

oab_au 05-09-2013 04:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cruisen_15 (Post 723934)
I have been unable to get a code....

I'd say in your case, with the swap. it would be wise to do the little bit of wiring for a switch and light to have it supply the codes.

Quote:

i also have the aeromotive 340lph fuel pump but im using the oem regulator and stock injectors right now..I dont see it being soo rich that it wont even start.
OK rule that out.:)

Quote:

I could get more cam and crank sensors but I hate throwing parts at it. They worked before on an older 33 I had, idk how in the past 2 years they could have gone bad just sitting in a bin..
No I don't mean that your sensors are faulty, just that the signals that they should send may be faulty. Like the shielding on the wires, is terminated properly. Is the ground strap on the rear of the engine that ran back to the firewall fitted.

Harvey.

huck369 05-09-2013 05:19 AM

Are you sure the fuel pump is running (do you have good fuel pressure?)

Hocrest 05-09-2013 05:41 AM

One time Melissa's car wouldn't start. It had fuel, spark, timing and wasn't giving any codes. Eventually I got it towed and OT ended up finding that the TPS connector had worked loose. Reconnected and all was fine.

BackWoodsBob 05-09-2013 07:04 AM

yerp, re-check your sensors. I found after a few days of fiddling with my EG swap that my crank sensors were on the engine backwards :lol:.

TillamookSVX 05-09-2013 01:15 PM

This may be obvious... but you didn't use an SVX wiring harness. So, I'm assuming you have an ECU from the impreza . Umm.. was the impreza a 2.5 liter? If so, that's a 4 cyl.
Sounds like it is firing on #1 and #4 and firing at the wrong time for 2356.

cruisen_15 05-09-2013 02:08 PM

I Do Have A Check Engine Light Setup, If I Pull A Connecter Off It Will Display A Code. I Don't Have AN Impreza Ecu HookeD Up Haha, Besides It Was Obd2 And I'm Using Obd1 Svx Ecu. I've Ran An Svx Without The Tps Sensor Before, Shifted Like Crap But Still Started. I HavE Swapped Crank One And 2 With No Result

Jake@FAPFab 05-09-2013 05:27 PM

you dnt have the signal starter wire switched

BackWoodsBob 05-09-2013 08:01 PM

make sure your injectors and spark plugs keep working when you crank the engine over. Just because they have power when you roll the key forward it doesn't mean they continue to have power. I've seen that happen on a few swaps too.

cruisen_15 05-10-2013 02:26 AM

Jake, Can You Explain More? My Starter And Ignition Wires Are Hooked Up But What Do You Mean?

cruisen_15 05-10-2013 02:32 AM

I Have A Tranny Ground And A ThiCk Engine Ground.. Grounding Shouldn't Be My problem
The Fuel Pump PrimEs And I Hear It Running When Im Cranking,Need A Pressure Gauge But I Doubt Pressure/fuel Is The Problem. Don't Mind My Terrible Typing My Phone Likes To Cap everything.

Jake@FAPFab 05-10-2013 12:21 PM

there is a wire for the starter signal to the ecu that needs to be there. wire something from that pin to the starter wire on the solenoid

cruisen_15 05-10-2013 12:59 PM

I Did Wire That up