The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Baby it's cold outside. (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8374)

LarryIII 01-23-2003 04:58 AM

Baby it's cold outside.

As I backed out of my driveway this morning, I pressed the 'Outside Temp.' button. It read 8 deg. F. Brrrrrrrrrrr, that's cold.
I'd like to ask all the Canadian SVXers just to send the beer down to us in the States , but leave the cold air north of the border.

Thanks EH!!

hotshoe50 01-23-2003 06:11 AM

outside temp!!

Larry,

When I dragged myself yesterday morning to my poor Suby2 in the driveway, under 5 new inches of snow, the frost was certainly "on the pumpkin"

How cold you ask? -22 on my dash (F) or -19 (C) Can you believe that??? \\

Great end to the story though, as Suby started right up and was 100% warmed up within 5 minutes.

These are really remarkable cars!!!

Hotshoe

blackbolt94red 01-23-2003 06:12 AM

You think you got it cold????

Larry, when I backed out of my wonderfully heated garage* this morning, my guage read 45, but within 6 blocks the true reading reared its ugly head, -19 degrees. With wind chill factored in, it feels like 32 degrees below zero this morning.
On the positive side, it's so beautiful and clear, the moon is so bright you could almost read a newspaper by it, and the stars, wow.

Which makes me wonder, how low will that temperature guage reading go? What's the lowest anybody has seen?

*OK, I'm boasting, but I really did it for the two cats that live in the garage. Salvage jobs both of them, but having never learned the potty box thing, the garage is the best I can do for them. They are very well fed, warm and loved, which is more than I say for many other kitties. BTW, I have five more IN the house.

I can't help 'em all, but I can help 'em one at a time.

Mr. Pockets 01-23-2003 07:58 AM

The Justy has no outside temp gauge (thinking of putting a plastic outdoor thermometer on the windshield with suction cups), but when I got to work it had warmed up to a balmy 4degF outside.

I get up in the morning and go straight outside to start Amber's car. I have no idea what the temperature was then, but it was still dark out, so I'm guessing slightly below zero.

Still, this isn't so bad. In VT, sometimes on the radio they'd warn us that the wind chill was 'unmeasurable.' I guess the instrument used to measure wind chill only goes down to -100degF.

Aredubjay 01-23-2003 08:58 AM

3 Degrees (F) here today with a wind chill of -10. That's pretty darned cold for we'n's. :D

On another note, the car does much better on "powder." We usually get a heavy wet snow that is slushy and turns into ice underneath, making, even 4-wheel drive, somewhat arduous. With the extremely low temps, we finally got a nice dry snow. Even with salted roads (creating some slush), the car went like it was on dry pavement today (for the entire 40 miles). Hooray! The beauty of all wheel drive.

svx_commuter 01-23-2003 10:07 AM

Last Saturday I went skiing. :) It was -1F at the mountain and not a wisper of wind with lots of sun. A great day it was. :)
This is the way winter should be. Cold, below freezing for two weeks straight and not much wind.

CigarJohnny 01-23-2003 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by svx_commuter
Last Saturday I went skiing. :) It was -1F at the mountain and not a wisper of wind with lots of sun. A great day it was. :)
This is the way winter should be. Cold, below freezing for two weeks straight and not much wind.

Agreed! I can tolerate the cold fine as long as there is no wind. The sound of the wind in the winter chills my bones even when I am snug and warm inside. :(

LarryIII 01-23-2003 10:39 AM

Randy,

Is "Dry Cold" like the "Dry Heat" all these people from Ariz. tell us is so much easier to tolerate.

I think thst I broke the record for grammaticl mistakes in that sentence.
PS: Please don't let Rosie Red Pen read it.

GreenMarine 01-23-2003 11:16 AM

damm cold!!!

I feel for all you "northerners"... All those Temps are really cold. I was born in Australia where it hardly ever even freezes. I moved here when I was 14 and have lived here now for about 6 years. And you know, I'm still now used to the cold. it is about 30* down here in Beaufort now with snow flurries comming down. But they say that tonight it is supposed to get down to 15*... Aaaahhhhh!!! I really feel sorry for the marines that work night crew on the flight line... I did that last year and it really sucks!!! We used to crawl up inside the intakes of the jets to stay warm!!!! It worked, but we didn't want to come down after about an hour up there!! :D

SVXphile 01-23-2003 12:02 PM

pur spll'n

<PS: Please don't let Rosie Red Pen read it.>

Wouldn't THINK of it Larry! (scribbles furiously on yellow pad...)

:D Don

SVXphile 01-23-2003 12:14 PM

Related topic

A friend of mine called early this afternoon, saying he had given some guy in a red suit a ride to the airport this morning. The fellow only had a suitcase, with rather odd travel stickers on it, and some wierd pitchfork-thing in a case. The odd traveler only muttered two things while riding with my friend....."Gotta get farther south!" and "I can't believe it finally froze over....!" After the guy got out, my buddy said he had to pull over and check his truck....he thought he had a fire under the seat or something. He said the cab had this strange smell of furnace slag....

Anyway, the wind is blowing a gale here, and the chill factor is a major factor. Of course there was no school; a little snow and lots of super cold wind. I put some wet newspaper on Jean's grill....which froze instantly...and makes a nice wind barrier for her radiator. It will be REALLY frosty by the time she heads back from work tonight.... :( Don

Aredubjay 01-23-2003 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by LarryIII
Randy,

Is "Dry Cold" like the "Dry Heat" all these people from Ariz. tell us is so much easier to tolerate.

I think thst I broke the record for grammaticl mistakes in that sentence.
PS: Please don't let Rosie Red Pen read it.

<Immediately printing this off, folding it, placing it in an envelope addressed "Personal and Confidential" to Rosie>

Yes, Larry, it probably is. But, you know what I hate to hear: "It's not the heat, it's the humidity." It doesn't matter "what" it is, it's just plain hot. Kinda like those weenies who say, "It's not the cold, it's the wind!" :p :D

SVXphile 01-23-2003 12:56 PM

Weenies are always on their buns...

I resemble that remark! :o :D

<Kinda like those weenies who say, "It's not the cold, it's the wind!">

After my TWO YEARS in the Azores of the North.....ICELAND.....I am a firm believer in "It's not the cold, it's the wind!" The Gulf Stream moderates what would be an extremely cold climate, into one that is usually as warm as continental locations much farther south. (It actually rains there more than it snows. LOTS of rain out on the penninsula at Keflavik.) However the wind makes up for it. "Horizonal weather" we used to call it. Snow on ONE side of your coat. Protect yourself from the wind...and you were fine. I used to wear tennis shoes to cross the base to the Exchange. Lie on my back in the lava fields and check out the Northern Lights.....who need drugs? :D Don

Check out the current temps in Iceland with your current temperature....

http://www.gundimat.co.uk/abouticela...r/weather.html

I just checked at 3PM....it was 37 there, 10 here. :(

Uncamitzi 01-23-2003 01:01 PM

:(

Salt Lake City. 4900 feet
52 degrees....1:00pm..... sunny clear....no snow....:confused:

This is January??? :confused: :confused:

SVXphile 01-23-2003 01:15 PM

Placing an order...

Mitch...I'd like to order a few thousand cubic feet of that 52 degree Utah air please.....my check is in the mail. :D Don