The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Engine Codes 29 and 33. Help!!! (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=61110)

Svx95 12-21-2012 01:03 PM

Engine Codes 29 and 33. Help!!!

So this morning went out to start the SVX, let it warm up (it was 15 degrees out) for about 10 minutes and was on my way to town but quickly noticed that my speedometer wasn't indicating my speed. Shortly after the "Check Engine" light came on. Also I was not able to drive faster than about 40 mph ( that's only a guess since my speedometer was not working. I drove back home and pulled codes 29 (Crank Angle Sensor 2) and 33 (Vehicle Speed Sensor 2). Any suggestions? Car was working great before this.

1986nate 12-21-2012 01:30 PM

Re: Engine Codes 29 and 33. Help!!!

Was it sitting for any amount of time? My first check would be for critter nests that would have chewed through wires.

ShaneHobson 12-21-2012 02:02 PM

I've had the same codes on my car.

Speedo won't go above ~ 40 km/h, but car can still cruise at 100 km/h easily.

Crank position sensor - dealer said it might cause problems when the car is restarting when hot or starting when cold. Can't remember which it was.
Either, not especially important in our climate and I've never experienced any problems.

CEL will come on the the VSS error after about 50km/h of travel.
I think the error is triggered when it sees a prolonged speed difference between the two speed sensors.

Sorry, doesn't solve your problem, but adds a but more knowledge to the pool

Svx95 12-21-2012 08:20 PM

1986nate- the car sat for 3 days in the driveway... its 20 degrees out doubt there was anything nesting but thanks for the reply

Svx95 12-21-2012 08:24 PM

ShaneHobson- The crank position sensor would give you trouble starting in cold weather. My speedometer does not move at all. Info is appreciated though!

icingdeath88 12-21-2012 09:07 PM

If the speedo doesn't move at all, and you are also getting a code for it, then I'd bet the sensor (or wiring from the sensor) is bad. What I would do is take out the sensor to check if the little thingy inside it that spins is broken or ok. And have a look at the wiring while you're there.

As for the crank sensor, if the car is starting and running and sounds normal, I'd clear the code and see if it comes back, and then report back if it does.

Svx95 12-21-2012 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icingdeath88 (Post 717717)
If the speedo doesn't move at all, and you are also getting a code for it, then I'd bet the sensor (or wiring from the sensor) is bad. What I would do is take out the sensor to check if the little thingy inside it that spins is broken or ok. And have a look at the wiring while you're there.

Is this sensor located on the driver or passenger side and in the Fender right?

icingdeath88 12-21-2012 10:37 PM

It's on the transmission bellhousing, near the front diff dipstick, accessible from the passenger side. The plug has 3 pins.

Here is some info about it (VSS2): http://autorepair.about.com/library/a/1h/bl833h.htm

Svx95 01-13-2013 04:07 PM

Okay, so I finally went in and replaced the VSS2, it was visibly broken. The wiring seemed fine. Cleared the codes and took it for a spin or well I tried too, its still doing the same thing as before. Speedometer won't move at all, and when driving on "D" there is only one gear. If I use the manual button I can drive on "3" at a faster speed. Checked the codes and still gave 33 but now gave 28 which is Knock sensor #2 (LH) Abnormal voltage in knock sensor monitor circuit. Any ideas?

icingdeath88 01-13-2013 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Svx95 (Post 718577)
Okay, so I finally went in and replaced the VSS2, it was visibly broken. The wiring seemed fine. Cleared the codes and took it for a spin or well I tried too, its still doing the same thing as before. Speedometer won't move at all, and when driving on "D" there is only one gear. If I use the manual button I can drive on "3" at a faster speed. Checked the codes and still gave 33 but now gave 28 which is Knock sensor #2 (LH) Abnormal voltage in knock sensor monitor circuit. Any ideas?

Pull and have a look at the replacement sensor to see if it broke as well or something. If it looks fine, clear the codes by unplugging the battery for ~10 mins and see what codes come back and how it behaves.

Svx95 01-13-2013 04:30 PM

Okay, will do and I'll let you know how that goes. Thanks! Simple Curiosity, what if it continues with same problem after the steps you mentioned? I already checked engine and transmission fluids, checked all relays and fuses (all good)

oab_au 01-13-2013 05:26 PM

Gear box won't change gears, if it does not know that the car is moving. It will change if the lever is used, don't need to push the "manual " button.

Harvey.

Svx95 01-13-2013 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oab_au (Post 718586)
Gear box won't change gears, if it does not know that the car is moving. It will change if the lever is used, don't need to push the "manual " button.

Harvey.

Yeah the manual button is not used when driving in "D" that is when gears don't change.

Svx95 01-13-2013 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icingdeath88 (Post 718580)
Pull and have a look at the replacement sensor to see if it broke as well or something. If it looks fine, clear the codes by unplugging the battery for ~10 mins and see what codes come back and how it behaves.

I did what you said sensor is fine and unplugged battery for 10 min and still same signs. I did notice that my odometer is not working either. I read on another thread that it could mean that plastic gears inside the differential are broken?

icingdeath88 01-13-2013 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Svx95 (Post 718588)
I did what you said sensor is fine and unplugged battery for 10 min and still same signs. I did notice that my odometer is not working either. I read on another thread that it could mean that plastic gears inside the differential are broken?

If both aren't working and the vehicle (ECU/TCU) is behaving as though it has no speed input, then I'd continue to focus on the sensor. Maybe it's just a wiring issue and not the gear inside the diff? I haven't had any experience with the gear in the diff myself, so I'm not sure. I find it unlikely that two mechanical things would fail at the same exact time, however (unless one breaking caused the other to break, but that's usually kind of obvious). I think it's more likely that disturbing the aged wiring while replacing the sensor caused a break in one of the wires or something. How brittle did the wiring seem to you? (sure it's plugged in good?) Try looking down the hole that the speed sensor threads into?

Edit - another idea: Maybe the sensor didn't get threaded in far enough for the little spinny thing at the bottom to fit into its slot?