The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   gas tank and front diff. question (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=48977)

newkid17 02-02-2009 02:18 PM

gas tank and front diff. question

my girlfriends svx is getting crappy gas mileage (so i thought). i would take it into town, and back home(app. 12 mi. round trip) and i was using about 1/8 of a tank of gas. so i told her to run it down to E. and fill it up to see how much gas it takes, it only too 8 gallons. our tanks are 18 gallons right? so what i am thinking is either the sending unit is bad or there is gas in the float which would make it read less than whats in it. ????what do you guys think?

and i have been changing my front diff. and i went to put fluid in it last night and the dipstick was not coming out, anyone ever had this problem before? i think i am going to try and heat it up because maybe it is frozen? it has been sitting outside and its went down to around -20 last week.

Bobby

oab_au 02-02-2009 02:42 PM

Re: gas tank and front diff. question

Quote:

Originally Posted by newkid17 (Post 585554)
my girlfriends svx is getting crappy gas mileage (so i thought). i would take it into town, and back home(app. 12 mi. round trip) and i was using about 1/8 of a tank of gas. so i told her to run it down to E. and fill it up to see how much gas it takes, it only too 8 gallons. our tanks are 18 gallons right? so what i am thinking is either the sending unit is bad or there is gas in the float which would make it read less than whats in it. ????what do you guys think?

and i have been changing my front diff. and i went to put fluid in it last night and the dipstick was not coming out, anyone ever had this problem before? i think i am going to try and heat it up because maybe it is frozen? it has been sitting outside and its went down to around -20 last week.

Bobby

The fuel gauge is just there to fill the gap in the dash. They are very misleading in the reading. The only reading you can rely on is when its full.

Run it down till the little bowser light comes on then fill, to see how much it takes then.

There are cases of the fuel not being pumped from the right side tank to the pick-up side.

Harvey.

CorSVXette 02-03-2009 07:01 AM

Front Diff dip stick stuck? Just had that problem with mine! Ask YT about it. He will tell you what he had to do. What a pain in the a..:mad:

SoCal LS-L 02-03-2009 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newkid17 (Post 585554)

Bobby

Try spraying some penetrating oil on it and letting it sit for a while. You can also tap it lightly with a hammer to help free it. Mine was a pain too since it hadnt been touched in years before I bought it.