The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Power Steering Issue (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50035)

storm66 04-26-2009 10:30 PM

Power Steering Issue

Just completed 5 speed swap and Koni/GC mod, rebuilt engine, wheel bearings, new seals on everything, ECU Stage1V5, custom exhaust and much more and have an issue with the power steering. Got the car in pieces and took me over a year to rebuild it.

Cranked it and power steering grinding and making all kinds of noise. Got a new Power Steering pump and installed. Now no grinding noise but when I shut the engine off power steering fluid sprays out from under the cap and goes everywhere. Next I changed the O-ring under the resevoir again, torqued everything down to spec, flushed the lines, replaced a hard line that was dented underneath, put dextron ATF fluid in and ensured levels were correct went turn to turn on the steering several times back and forth and all seemed good.

Next took it for a test drive and stopped, engine idled down to under 1000rpm and steering locked, could not move the wheel. Bring the car up to about 2000 RPM and it works again. Shut the car off and it does not spray fluid out but oozes out under the cap.

So the issue is what causes the power steering to lock everytime I let engine idle and then starts working again when I increase RPM and why is the fluid still ooozing out from under the cap?

1986nate 04-26-2009 10:50 PM

Re: Power Steering Issue

Air entering the system from somewhere I would guess

storm66 04-27-2009 12:34 PM

If it was drawing air in would there be a leak there? Any ideas, this one is driving me bonkers...

Blacky 04-27-2009 05:10 PM

The SVX has electronically controlled steering. There are 2 different systems used. On the LsL (leather seats etc.) the steering is speed contolled. On the others the steering is RPM controlled. It sounds to me like the solenoid for the RPM controlled steering is not working right.
Does your steering actually lock or does it feel like there is no power assist and you can steer if your arms are strong enough to move it?

ensteele 04-27-2009 10:00 PM

If it is leaking air, check the O-Ring again. I have seen that happen. :o

storm66 04-27-2009 10:19 PM

Car is a 92 LSL. The steering when it locks at idle is pretty well locked, does not act like when no power steering. Works again when I increase RPM.

My car has the two piece high pressure line so it has two o-rings. I am going to replace both of those and try it again.

dcarrb 04-28-2009 05:37 AM

Man, there's something scary wrong if the steering literally "locks." Even with a total hydraulic failure you should still be able to steer the car. Hard to imagine how an O-ring or seal could cause such. I'd be shopping for a rack.

dcb

storm66 04-28-2009 09:37 PM

Ok I did the following:

1. Changed the two High pressure hose O-rings
Result - No change

2. Changed the Resevoir O-ring Again
Result - No change

3. Changed the Resevoir and O-ring, flushed the system replaced all fluid
Result - No more foaming over and Steering working but not at idle

4. Changed the high pressure line switch (not sure what it is called)
Result - Works perfect

I guess somehow I had multiple problems. It looks like the long low part of the resevoir is where the pump draws fluid from (like a straw in liquid). The resevoir must have had some junk in it or a hairline crack in the tube inside the resevoir which allowed it to draw in air making o-ring change have no effect.

What a pain, glad that is over with...

On a good note the 5 speed swap, engine rebuild, ECU tune upgrade, Koni/GC swap, wheel bearings, brakes, basically rebuilt the car from the bottom up makes this thing one bad A%s machine. Never new an SVX could put such a smile on my face...

Thanks for your input!

ensteele 04-29-2009 01:28 AM

Glad to hear you have it fixed now. That is a lot of stuff to do, but it is good that it works now. :o