The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Is this a normal MAF malfunction (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=46277)

msvx95 09-22-2008 05:56 PM

Is this a normal MAF malfunction

I'm driving doing about 40mph, then all of the sudden the car looses power and stalls out while I'm still going at that speed....I've never had that happen before...so I put it in Neutral and started it up while moving.

I read the code and got a 23 so that means MAF, but can someone tell me that this is normal or is this something bigger that could be the problem?
WHy would a bad MAF cause stalling? I'm not sure what it's supposed to do actually. Can someone explain?

wannarace928 09-22-2008 06:04 PM

Re: Is this a normal MAF malfunction

I never had my car go to the extreme of stalling while driving, but when the MAF went bad on my ebony a little while ago it would cut out at highway speeds, felt like it would all of a sudden lose power then all would be fine again after a few seconds.

Hocrest 09-22-2008 06:40 PM

Mine would stall completely like that. usually it would start right back up, sometimes I had to wait a minute...

Francis 09-22-2008 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hocrest (Post 564893)
Mine would stall completely like that. usually it would start right back up, sometimes I had to wait a minute...

Quote:

I never had my car go to the extreme of stalling while driving, but when the MAF went bad on my ebony a little while ago it would cut out at highway speeds, felt like it would all of a sudden lose power then all would be fine again after a few seconds.
yeah me too, changed the maf and everything fine now

...i dont know why , i suppose maf calculate air flow + fuel , no air no fuel ?

msvx95 09-22-2008 06:47 PM

Ok, I'm getting a used one soon in the mail...but I did spray the current one with brake cleaner (no residue)...the only thing I didn't do was cut the gasket to look inside...I hope the used one works.

msvx95 09-22-2008 06:49 PM

It's weird the last two days the car ran perfect, no issues.

Francis 09-22-2008 06:53 PM

when my car was stalling it gave me the effect it would be worse on hot sunny days , during night or cooler days it wasn't doing it ....

SoCal LS-L 09-22-2008 07:28 PM

The MAF meters incoming air volume in cubic feet per minute usually, and tells the ECU exactly how much fuel to add. Sometimes a leaf or some dust or other foriegn debris can get stuck in the vane and cause a wierd reading, stalling you out. Id also check for a loose or corroded connection on your harness that plugs into it before dropping the cash for a new one, they arent cheap. Cant hurt to try!!

subarufamily 09-22-2008 08:14 PM

mine did the exact same thing when the maf died it would run sometimes then all of a sudden just let the car die it would normally start up right away but was a fickle fix, when replaced it hasnt done it since. my opinion replace with a good WORKING maf and should fix the problem as I read it

msvx95 09-22-2008 08:40 PM

The harness looks ok, not corroded or anything. Yes those parts are expensive, must be the circuitry inside causing the high price.

SoCal LS-L 09-22-2008 11:41 PM

The main question since I havent disassembled mine is if the MAF is the air vane type or the swingdoor type. Swingdoors tend to wear out and lose resistance values at some particular point along the contact arc (earlier toyota EFI's had this problem), but vane type are pretty solid-state, and dont normally wear out. I cant really tell for sure by looking at mine but if your SVX isnt a daily driver it cant hurt to monkey around with it anyways and maybe see if some foreign debris could be in there.

msvx95 09-23-2008 08:12 PM

I opened up the MAF and all the soldered connections are there...can it be the copper cover needs to be resoldered? I can't think of any other obvious defect..