The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   so you think the SVX is expensive to maintain? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11199)

Landshark 06-06-2003 10:07 PM

so you think the SVX is expensive to maintain?

just read an article about the Ferrari Enzo.....the oil is $60/quart and brake pads are $6000 (yes, six thousand dollars!)

don't forget the insurance money, either. :rolleyes:

ensteele 06-06-2003 10:10 PM

Kind of puts things into perspective! :)

Landshark 06-06-2003 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ensteele
Kind of puts things into perspective! :)
yep.

"hey Muffy, should i get new brake pads for the Enzo, or just go buy an SVX?"

Kurt_W 06-06-2003 10:29 PM

Yeah, I read the same article, first thought that came to mind was people muttering about $300 rotors. Burning up $30k in brake parts with less then 1500 miles on the car...OUCH!

Seraph 06-07-2003 09:43 AM

Thats why SVX is just a car and Ferrari is a Ferrari :D

benebob 06-07-2003 12:27 PM

Re: so you think the SVX is expensive to maintain?

Quote:

Originally posted by Landshark
just read an article about the Ferrari Enzo.....the oil is $60/quart and brake pads are $6000 (yes, six thousand dollars!)

don't forget the insurance money, either. :rolleyes:

Don't believe everything you read. The one rep where I work is in the process of rebuilding a 308. Its like the 4th one he's owned but the first he's totally rebuilding. He has found 99% of the parts for the thing through the actual manufactures or has had things made one off cheaper. Seems (like with every other car Ferrari simply assembles the thing with off the shelf parts). Granted body stuff is different but as far as mechanics go he's saving a fortune. He said Ferarri wanted $300 per bearing but he inspected the bearing and researched the markings on it. Traced it back to the company that made it. Chicago Rawhide I think it was. They sent 'em to him for $8. Sure he's doing a lot of legwork but then again. He's documenting everything so the next one he buys he'll have totally done for 1/4 of the price it would normally cost.

Landshark 06-07-2003 12:34 PM

Re: Re: so you think the SVX is expensive to maintain?

Quote:

Originally posted by benebob

Don't believe everything you read. The one rep where I work is in the process of rebuilding a 308. Its like the 4th one he's owned but the first he's totally rebuilding. He has found 99% of the parts for the thing through the actual manufactures or has had things made one off cheaper. Seems (like with every other car Ferrari simply assembles the thing with off the shelf parts). Granted body stuff is different but as far as mechanics go he's saving a fortune. He said Ferarri wanted $300 per bearing but he inspected the bearing and researched the markings on it. Traced it back to the company that made it. Chicago Rawhide I think it was. They sent 'em to him for $8. Sure he's doing a lot of legwork but then again. He's documenting everything so the next one he buys he'll have totally done for 1/4 of the price it would normally cost.

i'm pretty sure the $650,000 Enzo doesn't use alot of "off the rack" parts. ;)

benebob 06-07-2003 03:34 PM

Re: Re: Re: so you think the SVX is expensive to maintain?

Quote:

i'm pretty sure the $650,000 Enzo doesn't use alot of "off the rack" parts. ;)

And I'm sure 25 years ago people were saying the same thing about the 308.:D

Landshark 06-07-2003 04:10 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: so you think the SVX is expensive to maintain?

Quote:

an average jerk like me could afford to buy a 308 (although i wouldn't want to put up with the maintenance. ;) )
the Enzo is a special, low-production super car, like the F40 and F50. unless i hit the Lotto big-time, there's no way i'd ever be able to afford an Enzo in 25 years. :D

Earthworm 06-07-2003 04:54 PM

There's a guy here with a "classic" 1981 Ferrari 512 BB. He keeps it in mint shape considering he races it on a road course near here. I may see it tomorrow. I may even get a picture or 2.

Chicane 06-09-2003 03:09 PM

I don't think it's that bad, except for the windshield.

- Rob

Mr. Pockets 06-09-2003 03:29 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: so you think the SVX is expensive to maintain?

Quote:

There's quite a difference between the purposes behind the 308 and the Enzo. The 308 was a mass-production car built in the thousands. It makes sense that it would use off-the-shelf parts like bearings. The Enzo is a hyper-exotic produced in very limited quantities. I'm not saying that there's nothing on the Enzo that you could find in Chicago for $8, but I would be willing to bet that there's far less than on the 308.

I'd take either, by the way. :D

NomadTW 06-09-2003 10:47 PM

dont forget that it takes something like 12 qt's of that special oil...

man 6000 brake pads

Phast SVX 06-09-2003 11:34 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: so you think the SVX is expensive to maintain?

Quote:

an average jerk like me could afford to buy a 308 (although i wouldn't want to put up with the maintenance. ;) )
the Enzo is a special, low-production super car, like the F40 and F50. unless i hit the Lotto big-time, there's no way i'd ever be able to afford an Enzo in 25 years. :D

even if you hit the lotto you wont get it, its only sold to "loyal customers" and you can guess waht that means....you better have 10 sitting in the "garage" to even get on the "list"
phil

Landshark 06-10-2003 04:32 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: so you think the SVX is expensive to maintain?

Quote:

Originally posted by Phast SVX

even if you hit the lotto you wont get it, its only sold to "loyal customers" and you can guess waht that means....you better have 10 sitting in the "garage" to even get on the "list"
phil

yeah, that's right! i could buy a handful of 308's and get on the list.

screw the Enzo, i'd rather have a Carrera GT anyway. :D