The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Rear Brake Line is Leaking :( does car have to be complety lifted? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=57654)

SVXgarcia 06-22-2011 11:29 AM

Rear Brake Line is Leaking :( does car have to be complety lifted?

Unfortunately the leak is coming from underneath subframe or frame. the leak is not directly visible but Im guessing the only place it could be leaking from is the hardline that's burried under car since I can see all the brake fluid dripping. Does the car need to be lifted off all four tires in order to take the rear end apart? Has anyone here attempted this before? any advice?
Thanx guys

Crazy_pilot 06-22-2011 12:10 PM

Re: Rear Brake Line is Leaking :( does car have to be complety lifted?

It's a huge ***** of a job. You don't need the front wheels off the ground technically, but you're going to have to lift the rear quite high. The proper way to replace that line is to remove the fuel tank, which means removing the driveshaft, exhaust, getting to the fuel pump under the rear seat....

Or you could do like the previous owner of my car. The lines run under the rear seat and then out of the car. He spliced it there and just sort of monkeyed the line around the subframe to the flex hoses, didn't even remove the old line.

And now that I think about it, you're probably going to want to take the front wheels off to bleed the brakes anyway.

SVXgarcia 06-22-2011 12:40 PM

Just what I feared!! :eek:
The problem is that I don't know exactly where on the line its leaking from since I cant see the line since its buried under the frame. How can i splice into without being able to get to the leak. By the way how would you splice into it?
Thanks for the reply

Crazy_pilot 06-22-2011 02:08 PM

I can't give you super clear instructions because the only one I've seen is my own, which is a bastardized hack job as I mentioned. However, if you remove the rear seat bottom you'll see where the lines run under the seat and go through the floor (passenger side). There should be some sort of fitting or junction block that you can remove the old line from and run your new one off. If not you can cut the line back and flare the end so a union fitting can connect them.

Have you ever done brake lines before? Unless you're a reasonably experienced wrencher it's not something I'd really suggest, just for safety sake. It's easy to goof up when flaring lines if you haven't done it before, plus you need the right tool for the job.

SVXgarcia 06-23-2011 03:31 PM

Thanx Chris I appreciated the input. I'm actually gona have someone look at it next week. I will post back with details.

Crazy_pilot 06-23-2011 06:16 PM

Awesome, good luck! Unfortunately brake lines are just one of those stupid parts.. They're worth almost nothing themselves but cost a bunch to change due to the labour involved. I've spent a bunch of years working in garages, so I've seen every manner of pain in the ass lines to change.