The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Not Exactly SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Car Decision to be made...help! (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39296)

Amazonparrot 06-09-2007 04:22 PM

Car Decision to be made...help!

So I'm contemplating straying from the SVX path, at least for now. The replacement cars I have in mind so far are:

2003 Touring Edition Nissan 350z (6-spd, leather, etc etc) Pikes peak white
2 choices: 20,995- 43k (2 hours away at carmax)
19,996-46k (also only 25 minutes from my house)
2004 Subaru WRX STi (Aspen White)
70,000miles, new tires, in california.
$19,995 negotiable

Here is my take:
The Z is a more refined car, but I love my subies. The STI is a decent bit faster, with average stock times ranging from 13.4-5 to 14.0 and the Z's times ranging from 13.7 (with a miracle driver) to 14.1 average. The Z has much lower miles, and is much closer, but ive ALWAYS wanted an STI, and now one is within my price range, expcept I have reservations about paying twenty thousand dollars for something with 70k on it.

Please make other suggestions, and lemme know what you think of what i have here so far!

-Andrew

budbaer 06-09-2007 05:15 PM

WOW! What a conundrum.

I would say go with the 350z for sure. I've had a 280zx and my friend had a 300zx, he bought it brand new in 1985. They both were exceptional vehicles. I used to own an Impreza RS, and many other Subarus, none of them compared to the Nissans, except my SVX of course. So this an easy call for me right? No, nothing in life can be that simple.

In 1992 my girlfriend and I flew to Fla. to pick up a Cadillac that I bought off an old man in Vero Beach. We stayed in Cocoa Beach for a few days, traveled up the coast and took our time getting home. There was so much adventure on that trip, I even asked her to marry me in the parking lot of East Coast Music. Looking back it was the best two weeks of my life, till that point, I've had better now, but it was an epic trip for two 21 year old kids. The Caddy was cool too.

That being said, the 350 is far more car in my opinion, but a cross country trip in your new ride could be the trip of a life time, if you have the funds to make it that way after the purchase of the car.

92svx95 06-09-2007 05:49 PM

Have you test driven both cars? If so which car did you find your self the most comfortable in? How the car drives, feels, cornering, do you want awd or rwd? a 2 seater or more? Do you like the way they look and sound? I personally would go for the 350z :D ,,, the sti is to uglly ;) and the 350z has a very very nice exhaust tone...

svxxx26 06-09-2007 07:28 PM

You have to go with Subaru. Buy the STI :D

benebob 06-09-2007 07:47 PM

Personally I'd never buy a turbo car used unless I knew the owner and the complete service history.

Bobb 06-09-2007 07:56 PM

New Car

Hi Andrew, I'm going to say one thing, AWD! Okay I'm going to say just three things #1 A
#2 W
#3 D
Having said that I would never own a turbo charged car for the street. Thats just me. What ever you do enjoy. Take care, BOBB

Amazonparrot 06-09-2007 08:01 PM

I will get a chance to test drive both an STI and a 350z this coming friday. But I do like the idea of four seats, and AWD, and since again, the STI is so much faster. But I do agree that the Z is a whole lot nicer a car for 19k...leather, bose audio, gps nav, 6 spd, 287 hp, just a nice car.

here is a http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...g=1&cardist=37

ensteele 06-09-2007 08:02 PM

I would go with the SVX!!! :D :D :D But that is just me. :rolleyes: ;) :) :)

Amazonparrot 06-09-2007 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxxx26
You have to go with Subaru. Buy the STI :D

My heart is loyal to suby...but STI's are the only scoobies fast enough for my taste out of the box, but they are so damn overpriced!

and coming from an SVX that ran 15.3 in the 1/4...its time I actually buy something fast...

Amazonparrot 06-09-2007 08:10 PM

oh, and on a related side note, would anyone be able to tell me why when im comparing auto insurance quotes, a subaru impreza (note, just impreza, not denoted with the insurer as an STi) is A LOT more $$ than a Z. What they are basically telling me is that my grandmothers Impreza TS hatch would be more costly to insure then Nissans Premier 300hp sports car....thats really stupid...explanation??? someone?

Manarius 06-09-2007 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amazonparrot
oh, and on a related side note, would anyone be able to tell me why when im comparing auto insurance quotes, a subaru impreza (note, just impreza, not denoted with the insurer as an STi) is A LOT more $$ than a Z. What they are basically telling me is that my grandmothers Impreza TS hatch would be more costly to insure then Nissans Premier 300hp sports car....thats really stupid...explanation??? someone?

Kids go out and kill themselves and others in their Impreza's and cost insurance companies a lot of money...

svxxx26 06-09-2007 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amazonparrot
My heart is loyal to suby...but STI's are the only scoobies fast enough for my taste out of the box, but they are so damn overpriced!

and coming from an SVX that ran 15.3 in the 1/4...its time I actually buy something fast...

True, they may be overpriced - but it's only money, hmmm? ;)

BTW, I was in Charlottesville last weekend, passing thru coming and going to the Eastern Shore. Beautiful town! Very bicycle friendly too.

Landshark 06-09-2007 10:56 PM

Legacy GT?

a used one will be cheaper than an STi, more likely to not be owned by a boy-racer (less likely to be abused), and can be made to have more power and torque than an STi for less than $1000.

SSSVX 06-09-2007 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ensteele
I would go with the SVX!!! :D :D :D But that is just me. :rolleyes: ;) :) :)

I know you have nothing else you can say . . . :D :D :p

SSSVX 06-09-2007 11:09 PM

you should define what you really need...try both cars and check out them and give a good thought to make your decision...

if I keep my SVX, I will definitely get a 350z. they're sleek and beautiful but the interior is so small (2 seaters). I was thinking to myself that I even has problems to sleep in the car for a small nap if I travel really long distance because the seat can't fold back. STI is awd :D so you can use it all year around with more practical room...