The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   did something stupid while cleaning throttle body (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24763)

immortal_suby 02-28-2005 07:05 PM

did something stupid while cleanign throttle body

Did a brake band adjustment last week and while I had the intake boot off I decided to spray out the throttle body with some cleaner.

As I was spraying inside the passenger side butterfly I watched in horror as the red tube connected to the spray bottle popped off and dropped into the intake. :eek:

Felt very stupid for a few minutes, imagining the next 3 hours spent removing the entire intake to get it out.

Luckily, I was able to remove only the throttle body and using a long needle nose pliers grab the tube out of there. Just another quick job that was made much longer by one simple careless move.

Landshark 02-28-2005 07:12 PM

Re: did something stupid while cleanign throttle body

Quote:

Originally posted by immortal_suby
Did a brake band adjustment last week and while I had the intake boot off I decided to spray out the throttle body with some cleaner.

As I was spraying inside the passenger side butterfly I watched in horror as the red tube connected to the spray bottle popped off and dropped into the intake. :eek:

Felt very stupid for a few minutes, imagining the next 3 hours spent removing the entire intake to get it out.

Luckily, I was able to remove only the throttle body and using a long needle nose pliers grab the tube out of there. Just another quick job that was made much longer by one simple careless move.

that happened to me, too, but luckily the little tube didn't get too far. my heart did stop for a brief moment as i watched it shoot off into what i thought was the deep recesses of the engine!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

michael 02-28-2005 07:31 PM

I cleaned out the throttle body on my 924 then re-assembled everything and went for a ride. After an hour or so the throttle became stuck wide open! I turned the key off and it would not stop, pulled the battery terminal, still screaming. Finally I grabbed the main coil wire and got a nice jolt but it stopped. I pulled the throttle body off and found half of a rather large towel that I used to clean out the intake tube.:(

Noir 02-28-2005 08:22 PM

Re: did something stupid while cleanign throttle body

Quote:

Originally posted by immortal_suby

and i thought i had a bad time in greenville last week. :p

ensteele 02-28-2005 11:13 PM

Why do we all have to learn the hard way? :rolleyes: ;) :)

SilverSpear 02-28-2005 11:23 PM

Get some Thinner and clean everything up and start all over...
By the way, when you remove the throttle body, do you damage the intake gaskets? i mean do they have to be replaced afterwards?

svxfiles 03-01-2005 08:31 AM

Back in 1973 when I was taking auto shop as a junior, a classmate of mine had a senior disconnect the linkage to the secondary throttle plates on the four barrel carburator on the 430 cid V8 he installed in his old Jeep.
He wanted to save some gas.:rolleyes:
Two minutes later, his throttle stuck wide open and he crashed into a concrete piliar about 2.5 feet wide, and 3.5 feet tall destroying his front end.

Gas at the time was about $0.35 a gallon.

Earthworm 03-01-2005 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ensteele
Why do we all have to learn the hard way? :rolleyes: ;) :)
Because we would never learn at all then :p

Earthworm 03-01-2005 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by SilverSpear
By the way, when you remove the throttle body, do you damage the intake gaskets? i mean do they have to be replaced afterwards?
I didn't have to replace mine. You just need to be careful.

svx_commuter 03-02-2005 01:19 PM

I was never real happy with pointing that red tube into the intake as I have seen it b l a s t off. I've been using rubber gloves to protect my hands and spraying the cleaner on a paper towel and then wipeing out the TB. It works okay for me.

immortal_suby 03-02-2005 04:53 PM

Sounds like a good idea. Maybe next time I will duct tape the red tube in place :D

It did give me a good chance to clean up the back of the throttle plates real well. :)

SilverSpear 03-03-2005 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Earthworm
I didn't have to replace mine. You just need to be careful.
you know earthworm, any variation with an air leak will cause a sputtering engine... i just wanted to know if the gasket has a silicone sealant stuck to it. I can imagine the gaskets made out of paper material, glued by silicone, and when removing the manifold, will cause them to be torned. isn't it?

GreenMarine 03-03-2005 08:05 AM

Damn Matt, I can see how that would really suck... Glad that you were able to quickly resolve the problem :)

Earthworm 03-03-2005 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by SilverSpear
I can imagine the gaskets made out of paper material, glued by silicone, and when removing the manifold, will cause them to be torned. isn't it?
Mine wasn't glued.