The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   fixing body rust on an SVX... (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6570)

mbtoloczko 10-22-2002 10:43 AM

fixing body rust on an SVX...

Well, I must be the only person with an SVX that has body rust. :-( I just picked up an SVX from the PA area over the weekend, and when I got home and started washing the car, I found some body rust in the crease line on both the doors! So now I'm wondering how I should deal with it. The two options that readily come to mind are to either replace the doors (probably horribly expensive) or try to repair the damaged areas. Any thoughts from people?

mohrds 10-22-2002 11:49 AM

I have rust too.

Which crease are you talking about? Where the lower panel attaches to the door?

The best way to fix rust (surface only, not holes) is to sandblast the area until all rust is gone, tap it down slightly with a pick hammer, coat it well with epoxy primer, fill divits with filler or good primer if mild enough, then seal it with another coat of epoxy, then paint.

Post a close up of the spots and I can tell you what the best way to deal with it is.

Doug

mbtoloczko 10-22-2002 12:08 PM

Yes, its in the crease area where the lower panel contacts contacts the door. On both doors there is a section about 1.5 inches in length where the paint is bubbling up in the crease. I'll post some pictures in my locker this evening. (Digital cameras are great!) Thanks!

Mr. Pockets 10-22-2002 12:38 PM

Re: fixing body rust on an SVX...

Quote:

Originally posted by mbtoloczko
Well, I must be the only person with an SVX that has body rust. :-( I just picked up an SVX from the PA area over the weekend, and when I got home and started washing the car, I found some body rust in the crease line on both the doors! So now I'm wondering how I should deal with it. The two options that readily come to mind are to either replace the doors (probably horribly expensive) or try to repair the damaged areas. Any thoughts from people?
You're not the only one, but pretty close. I have a little bit of rust on the right quarter panel. The paint is just bubbling up. But I know that the previous owner had a few accidents, so that's likely what compromised the rustproofing.

mbtoloczko 10-22-2002 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by mohrds
I have rust too.

Post a close up of the spots and I can tell you what the best way to deal with it is.

Doug

A few pictures are now in my personal locker. Thanks!

Green1995SVX 10-22-2002 08:04 PM

That's really weird. I would bet that theres quite a bit more rust under that cladding.

Mike

Green1995SVX 10-22-2002 08:05 PM

Glad to see you got the car OK. How was your stay in Pittsburgh? Sorry I couldnt meet up with you.

Mike

mbtoloczko 10-22-2002 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Green1995SVX
Glad to see you got the car OK. How was your stay in Pittsburgh? Sorry I couldnt meet up with you.

Mike

I thought Pittsburgh was a great place. I got a quick tour from my friend's parents who live out there, and I was very impressed with the variety of restaurants, shopping, and architecture in the town. On the drive back to WA, I listened to "The Killer Angels" in book on CD format. If I'd had more time and thought about the fact that I would be listening to it, I would have made a detour to check out Gettysburg before heading home.

Green1995SVX 10-22-2002 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by mbtoloczko

I thought Pittsburgh was a great place. I got a quick tour from my friend's parents who live out there, and I was very impressed with the variety of restaurants, shopping, and architecture in the town. On the drive back to WA, I listened to "The Killer Angels" in book on CD format. If I'd had more time and thought about the fact that I would be listening to it, I would have made a detour to check out Gettysburg before heading home.

Pittsburgh is a really neat place to live. It's a very artsy, clean city with fabulous dining and shopping (as you mentioned).

Gettysburg is a really great place to tour. Especially at this time of year. Lots of interesting history there.

Mike

Mr. Pockets 10-24-2002 08:57 AM

That's really weird. But I suspect that the car has been repainted - if I remember correctly, Laguna Blue wasn't a metallic color.

Anybody?

Green1995SVX 10-24-2002 10:23 AM

It is a metallic color... it's actually called 'laguna pearl'

Mike

Mr. Pockets 10-24-2002 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Green1995SVX
It is a metallic color... it's actually called 'laguna pearl'

Mike

Okay. Maybe the laguna blues I've seen were all just really dirty. :D

mbtoloczko 10-24-2002 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Pockets
That's really weird. But I suspect that the car has been repainted - if I remember correctly, Laguna Blue wasn't a metallic color.

Anybody?

If its been repainted, they stripped off everything before doing it; there's no evidence of the paint stopping at the rubber trim. And its the same color blue everywhere including in the door jam, on hinges, etc.