The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   One other question.....Struts (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=59446)

halistan 03-18-2012 05:37 PM

One other question.....Struts

Ok, i know this has been covered over and over again but I'm still stuck. After reading every thread I could find on it, I am unable to determine if we (as a collective whole) think that purchasing new struts from Subaru is good or not. Was anyone ever able to validate if those that were purchased recently really were produced in 2008?

If OEM aren't a good option, what other (if any) options are there? I have seen a lot of Koni discussions and briefly thought about ordering those but all the links I could find do not seem to have them for the SVX.

I found another Bilstein thread and I liked that idea but again, could not find any place that sold them.

Finally, if all else fails, I saw some discussion on Impreza struts working on our cars. Does anyone know what year models work? Are they a direct replacement or do they need modification?

Any information would be greatly appreciated as I am stuck! I've got the money saved up and want to order some of these asap so that I can get the SVX to ride right. It's drivable right now but isn't exactly fun to drive yet. Thanks everyone :)

Chuckls 03-18-2012 05:43 PM

Re: One other question.....Struts

Impreza ones need to be modified.

Koni stopped making the inserts for the Koni/GC combo

There is talk about custom ones made in Taiwan, but we are awaiting to hear from those whom have ordered them.

Aragosta one's which are some STUPID crazy amount.

Crazy_pilot 03-18-2012 05:47 PM

My opinion is that anything "new" will be better than blown old struts. The jury is out on the long term consequences.

As for fitting other Subaru suspension, nothing is a bolt in swap. The modifications required range from moderate to extreme depending on how well you want things to still work. (ie; keep your front swaybar, etc)

halistan 03-18-2012 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuckls (Post 699928)
Impreza ones need to be modified.

Koni stopped making the inserts for the Koni/GC combo

There is talk about custom ones made in Taiwan, but we are awaiting to hear from those whom have ordered them.

Aragosta one's which are some STUPID crazy amount.

Where did they order them from? Do you know? Is there a link anywhere that I could check out?

SVXMAN2001 03-18-2012 06:17 PM

Koni stopped making their inserts??? Is this confirmed? If so, I wonder how Koni intends to satisfy their lifetime warranty

icingdeath88 03-18-2012 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVXMAN2001 (Post 699934)
Koni stopped making their inserts??? Is this confirmed? If so, I wonder how Koni intends to satisfy their lifetime warranty

Confirmed, and they will rebuild them.

SVXMAN2001 03-18-2012 06:39 PM

well that's reassuring

Green1995SVX 03-18-2012 06:42 PM

Yes. Koni has stopped making their inserts. Also, the new struts from subaru are close to worthless. Subaru has not stored them properly and they typically don't last longer than a year. There are basically no viable strut options for our cars anymore.

SVX_MY_BABY 03-18-2012 07:45 PM

If memory serves me correctly, Koni made the inserts as the result of a request. They set up a minimum number required for production and laid out the financial requirements. I believe classic garage placed the required minimum order. They were never a stock "open item".

Classic garage shows them as being in stock at 820.00 for a set of 4.

http://classicgarage.com/subsvx19fron.html

Green1995SVX 03-18-2012 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVX_MY_BABY (Post 699946)
If memory serves me correctly, Koni made the inserts as the result of a request. They set up a minimum number required for production and laid out the financial requirements. I believe classic garage placed the required minimum order. They were never a stock "open item".

Classic garage shows them as being in stock at 820.00 for a set of 4.

http://classicgarage.com/subsvx19fron.html

Yes. They do still have them, however Koni no longer makes them. I remember a few months ago the number was that they had like 3 sets left or something like that.

Lookin4SVX 03-18-2012 07:57 PM

What!? No more koni/CG!?
Well...wtf am I supposed to do now?

I was really hoping to have the money to get a 4.44 and the koni/CG by SVXfiles by this summer... Guess that idea is shot...

Classic garage had only HAD 3 set left... geez. I am never gonna get a set...

SVXMAN2001 03-18-2012 08:09 PM

Get em while you can!

Crazy_pilot 03-18-2012 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lookin4SVX (Post 699950)
What!? No more koni/CG!?

I was really hoping to have the money to get a 4.44 and the koni/CG by SVXfiles by this summer... Guess that idea is shot...

Clicky ;)

svxfiles 03-18-2012 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lookin4SVX (Post 699950)
What!? No more koni/CG!?

In December when I ordered two sets of Koni's from The Classic Garage, they only had eight sets of Koni's left for SVXi.
However the last three sets of rear Koni's had a problem..
more on this later.
I have a call.:o

Huskymaniac 03-18-2012 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green1995SVX (Post 699938)
Yes. Koni has stopped making their inserts. Also, the new struts from subaru are close to worthless. Subaru has not stored them properly and they typically don't last longer than a year. There are basically no viable strut options for our cars anymore.

If a new batch was made in 2008, where did they store them that was so bad that they are only good for a year of use? Alaska?