The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Check Engine Light (but not all the time) (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=56234)

B 4 You 12-27-2010 08:50 PM

Check Engine Light (but not all the time)

well, after a few weeks of what i thought was a random check engine light here and there, i figured it out. when i start my car cold, there is no check engine light, ever. but if i park with the engine warm turn it off, go get something to eat, and come back out, the light will be on when i start her when she's warm. but if i let my car sit long enough to get cold, the light will NEVER go on. not even if i drive really hard. is this a bad sensor? or is it serious? i am taking her to the SubeShop soon, as i need an exhaust leak fixed, and will let them see if they can find the cause. anyone else have (had) this happen to them?
(about a month ago, the light would come on at random times while driving, but would shut off after about 30 seconds. it doesn't do this anymore, but could they be related? also, the ABS light has come on 2 times. but goes off once i turn the car off and never comes on again for a few weeks.)
ugh. machinery. >_<

B 4 You 12-27-2010 08:56 PM

Re: Check Engine Light (but not all the time)

also, for the sake of clarity, the car has not changed performance-wise whatsoever. she drives and idles exactly the same with the light on or off.

SoCal LS-L 12-28-2010 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B 4 You (Post 665454)
well, after a few weeks of what i thought was a random check engine light here and there, i figured it out. when i start my car cold, there is no check engine light, ever. but if i park with the engine warm turn it off, go get something to eat, and come back out, the light will be on when i start her when she's warm. but if i let my car sit long enough to get cold, the light will NEVER go on. not even if i drive really hard. is this a bad sensor? or is it serious? i am taking her to the SubeShop soon, as i need an exhaust leak fixed, and will let them see if they can find the cause. anyone else have (had) this happen to them?
(about a month ago, the light would come on at random times while driving, but would shut off after about 30 seconds. it doesn't do this anymore, but could they be related? also, the ABS light has come on 2 times. but goes off once i turn the car off and never comes on again for a few weeks.)
ugh. machinery. >_<

In my experience that particular CEL behavior is associated with a bad O2 sensor. If your car is a 92-95 you can easily check the code yourself, see the How-To... it takes about 60 seconds.

B 4 You 12-28-2010 11:39 AM

i will soon. i thought they were going bad also because my gas milage dropped. i used to easily get 22/21 now it's almost impossible to even get 18.

Green1995SVX 12-28-2010 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B 4 You (Post 665491)
i will soon. i thought they were going bad also because my gas milage dropped. i used to easily get 22/21 now it's almost impossible to even get 18.

Your gas mileage will always go down significantly in the winter. Fact of life.

B 4 You 12-28-2010 08:54 PM

i hate facts of life. i got 14 the other day... something more than chilly weather is up i guess. but the one thing about the cold weather i like, the tranny always performs her best. lol :]