The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Cam Seal (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4693)

svx_commuter 06-27-2002 11:42 AM

Cam Seal

I am going to change my CAM seals and I wanted to know if a puller was required for the sprocket?

SHISVX 06-27-2002 12:51 PM

hey, speaking of cam seals...just got 2 of mine done and a new timing belt for only 442.18!!!

good luck John

Kelli

CGLathrop 06-27-2002 12:56 PM

Im Interested

I was thinking of doing this also. If you can, take pictures and let us know how hard or easy it is. Step by step instructions would be nice too..

Chris

Beav 06-27-2002 03:46 PM

Your biggest problem will be holding the sprocket while cracking the bolt loose. After that it's a piece of cake - no puller needed.

I don't know what your plan is for removing the seal, but I usually use a 1/8" drill bit and carefully drill a hole in the old seal. Do not scratch the camshaft with the drill bit. Then insert a hook or 90° pick into the hole, using a pair of side-cutters or pliers to grip it while prying against the cam snout. Be sure to lube the new seal before installing.

svx_commuter 06-27-2002 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Beav
Your biggest problem will be holding the sprocket while cracking the bolt loose. After that it's a piece of cake - no puller needed.
Can I use the same big strap wrench I use for the crank pulley?
Quote:

I don't know what your plan is for removing the seal, but I usually use a 1/8" drill bit and carefully drill a hole in the old seal. Do not scratch the camshaft with the drill bit. Then insert a hook or 90° pick into the hole, using a pair of side-cutters or pliers to grip it while prying against the cam snout. Be sure to lube the new seal before installing.

Any concerns about the drill chips getting inside the engine?

Silicone. Got that on your other post Beav as always in your tool box.

Thanks

John

svx_commuter 06-27-2002 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by SHISVX
hey, speaking of cam seals...just got 2 of mine done and a new timing belt for only 442.18!!!

good luck John

Kelli

WHO? WHERE?

Beav 06-28-2002 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by svx_commuter

Any concerns about the drill chips getting inside the engine?

Silicone. Got that on your other post Beav as always in your tool box.

Thanks

John

The strap wrench should work. The chips will be very small and the drill will be pulling them out towards the front of the engine. Any remaining behind the seal are easy to clean out with a rag and/or a spritz of carb cleaner. And just to be clear, that's silicone grease, not RTV. ;)

svx_commuter 06-28-2002 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Beav

The strap wrench should work. The chips will be very small and the drill will be pulling them out towards the front of the engine. Any remaining behind the seal are easy to clean out with a rag and/or a spritz of carb cleaner. And just to be clear, that's silicone grease, not RTV. ;)

I have used the strap wrench on a 2.2 engine and it worked good on the crank pulley.
Silicone grease works great ofr many things. I really like it. Use that also on my Anderson windows so they crank open easy.

CGLathrop 06-28-2002 12:59 PM

Question

IS this the same strap wrench that Sears sells??

svx_commuter 06-29-2002 03:47 PM

Re: Question

Quote:

Originally posted by CGLathrop
IS this the same strap wrench that Sears sells??
I borrow this one from work. It is about 3' long, aluminum and the strap is about 3" wide. The strap is nylon. I had pretty tough time breaking loose the bolt on the 2.2 even with this. I cut an old pulley belt to fit in the grooves so that the strap didn't slip. I will most likely do the same with the old timing belt for the cam cranks.