The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   thoughts on polishing engine parts... (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=46859)

SVXMAN2001 11-09-2008 07:36 PM

thoughts on polishing engine parts...

I've seen a number of threads in the past couple of weeks with members having polished various aluminum engine parts (A/C parts, valve covers, etc..), I was thinking of doing this myself, to include the cylinder head and block, however, my concern is will this affect the mating surfaces of each? Meaning will this interfere with the knock sensors, proper sealing of the valve covers to the cylinder head? I wouldn't be messing with the head gasket surfaces of the block and head, just the top areas primarily. Thoughts? advice? Thanks in advance, Chris

Manarius 11-09-2008 07:50 PM

Re: thoughts on polishing engine parts...

svxcess has polished many of his engine parts. He would probably know the best about this.

Crazy_pilot 11-10-2008 04:29 PM

Are you pulling the engine out of the car? That's going to be an uber-tedious job with the motor assembled and in the engine bay. You won't be seeing very good results unless you want to take a grinder and clean all the casting roughness off the block. Just to see what would happen, while I was polishing some engine bits (PWR rad, A/C lines...) I took my Dremel to a small spot on the rear of the intake. Looks like junk. It produces a darker grey colour with tiny, shiny spots.

SVXMAN2001 11-10-2008 08:15 PM

I have an engine out of the car, so it will be much easier. I do anticipate it being very tedious, but its a hobby and something i'll do in my spare time.

svxcess 11-10-2008 09:41 PM

Prior to resealing the entire engine with new gaskets after new timing belt.pulleys, idlers, water and oil pumps, plugs, and other maintenance items, I had my valve covers ceramic-metallic "ceramakrome" coated by Thermaltech Coatings.

Another company I have used for aluminum-ceramic coatings is Airborn Coatings

The coating on the inside of the valve covers provides a very smooth, non-porous surface. The slight additional thickness of the coating in the channels where the valve cover gaskets fit allow for a better seal once the valve covers are torqued down.

I will be sending my alternator case to them very soon and have a satin finish coating applied, compared to the high polish of the valve covers.

Cost for coating the valve covers: $70.00/ pair. The alternator case will run $35.00.

They even do brake calipers (disassembled) which have the same thickness coating as powder coat, for $50.00 each. This would look really sharp I think...