The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Fire Extinguisher (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=17455)

ensteele 03-24-2004 10:56 PM

Fire Extinguisher

After hearing about devonsvx2 having a fire and the damage that took place, I was just wondering how many members carry a fire extinguisher in their SVX. If so, what kind and how big. I was in the fire service for many years, and it seems natural to have one in the car. Just was curious how many others carry one. :confused: :)

Chris 03-24-2004 11:09 PM

Carry two.
One small Halon one, and a medium size Class C dry chemical.

Alycone 03-24-2004 11:10 PM

I do, it was my car's xmas present. :)

I used to work with someone who really liked stopping and putting out car-BQs, he went through a lot of handheld extinguishers. :rolleyes:

Seraph 03-24-2004 11:24 PM

I do. Nice to help someone if it is needed and my car smokes too so just in case feature.

:D

Alycone 03-24-2004 11:27 PM

Mine smokes too, but it's trying to quit. :p

(I think it has, after the ps hose replacement.)

Seraph 03-24-2004 11:36 PM

My PS return line was replaced a while back. If that is the case, you might want to replace it soon. Mine was leaking so bad that the oil was all over the control arm and I had to replace my cv boots (well one side and I got a great deal so I did both).

Mine smokes because I did a diff job and the morons at the shop over filled the tranny so it's doing that.

:rolleyes:

If I have a lift....

NomadTW 03-25-2004 12:19 AM

aren't halon extinguishers illegal?

Green1995SVX 03-25-2004 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by NomadTW
aren't halon extinguishers illegal?
Illegal to manufacture i believe. The ones still in existance are OK to have.

Mike

KennEls 03-25-2004 04:31 AM

No Extinguisher

Had one in several cars for years, then when I went to change insurance companies I mentioned this in the hope of getting a bit of a discount.

The agent told me to remove it.

He stated that carrying one in the car was an admission on my part that the car was likely to catch fire and the companies view was that I should have it fixed. To save any possible hassle if the car did catch fire he recommended that I should ditch the extinguisher or at least carry it in the boot (trunk). So it went out the window.

Has any one in the States checked their Insurance Companies view on carrying an extinguisher?

Kenn
Down Under everything

Seraph 03-25-2004 09:22 AM

Re: No Extinguisher

Quote:

Originally posted by KennEls
Had one in several cars for years, then when I went to change insurance companies I mentioned this in the hope of getting a bit of a discount.

The agent told me to remove it.

He stated that carrying one in the car was an admission on my part that the car was likely to catch fire and the companies view was that I should have it fixed. To save any possible hassle if the car did catch fire he recommended that I should ditch the extinguisher or at least carry it in the boot (trunk). So it went out the window.

Has any one in the States checked their Insurance Companies view on carrying an extinguisher?

Kenn
Down Under everything

I don't know... One of the biggest international organizations (UN) requires fire extinguishers in ALL their cars. What ever the case is, I'd say keep one handy.

My car has vin etchings on the glass (which I noticed about a year after I've own it). That reduces the price.

Come to think of it, I have a Halon and a regular units in the SVX's (boot) trunk.

mark10t 03-25-2004 10:12 AM

Earl- you were a fire 'person', too? I was a volunteer fireman for 20+ years. Even in the fire service I liked to drive- I was an engineer- drive and run the firetrucks (and sound the siren!)

I used to carry fire extinguishers in my cars. I had a small halon one for my glove box, too. I suppose I should think about putting one back in the SVX. I emptied one once on anther car's fire once until the fire crew got there.

Reminds me of when I had a Porsche 914 ('74 2.0); when you saw them in the boneyards, they'd either be mashed from the rear (VERY good brakes for their era) or they'd have an engine compartment fire because of the leaky fuel hoses on the (less than perfect) fuel injection system. I definitely carried one in 'those' days.

I can't understand why any insurance company would frown on anyone having an extinguisher in their vehicle. That's stupid. You might use it to extinguish someone else's vehicle fire. It's a requirement to be on board in most boats, as an example.

-Mark

SHISVX 03-25-2004 11:10 AM

i am going to pick up a small one for sure! just haven't gotten around to it. i haven't seen any smaller ones, and i don't want to carry the large ones. between my jumpkit and my box, i don't have much room back there

i want to start carrying oxygen just in case...but i am afraid of getting rearended and having the tank explode!

Kelli

Seraph 03-25-2004 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by SHISVX
i am going to pick up a small one for sure! just haven't gotten around to it. i haven't seen any smaller ones, and i don't want to carry the large ones. between my jumpkit and my box, i don't have much room back there

i want to start carrying oxygen just in case...but i am afraid of getting rearended and having the tank explode!

Kelli

:D

JLittell 03-25-2004 01:37 PM

Quote:

:eek: Oh my gawg!!:eek:

Mr. Pockets 03-25-2004 01:49 PM

I used to carry a halon fire extinguisher, but it eventually...vented itself into the atmosphere. I have yet to replace it, but I really should.