The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Headlight Lens Foggy (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11257)

James Scott 06-10-2003 01:47 AM

Headlight Lens Foggy

One of my headlight (clear plastic) lenses is very foggy (the other slightly). Is there any good (and easy?) way to clear up an old foggy headlight lens >> or do I need to replace it (I think they're very expensive)?

Your advice is appreciated! THANKS, :D :) :D

6evil9 06-10-2003 05:26 AM

well if ur talking bout the plastic beein yellowish coz its old

then its pretty easy, i used some chrome polish for them
couple of minutes and they are as new

the top layer of plastic becomes yellowish as its old, so if u remove it the lenses will be sweet
im not sure what exactly i used, but it was some polish thingy with brass in it or something

im sure if u ask ur local parts shop they mite help u

hope it helps :D

ensteele 06-10-2003 01:19 PM

Yep, they are very expensive. Around $350.00 per light.

There are some threads on cleaning your headlights. They do yellow over time, and there are a number of products that can be used to make them clear again. You can do this without taking the lights off of the car.

If the problem is inside, you can go to "Seraph's" Lwin's site and look at his How To on cleaning the inside of the lights. You take the lights off of the car, take the lights apart, clean, and then put them back together again. Not quite as simple. Good luck on what ever you do. :)

James Scott 06-19-2003 02:46 PM

FOGGY headlamp lens

I cleaned mine as per Longassname thread (steel wool/polish), but the bad one seems to have alot of inner haze. I can't find a thread that tells my if or how I can take the lens apart to clean the inside.

HELP! THANKS! :D :confused: :) :D

JLittell 06-19-2003 03:17 PM

Preheat you oven to 300 degrees. Put the whole headlight assembly in for about 3-5 minutes. Don't forget to remove the clips. Heating the headlight in the oven should soften the glue up between the housing. Use a putty knife to pry the light into two. I have done this 5 times already! So it's safe to do!

James Scott 06-19-2003 06:33 PM

headlamp surgery

Then, do I assemble the two halves the same way, by pre-heating (and using the same "adhesive") and re-clipping?

Green1995SVX 06-20-2003 09:00 AM

Re: headlamp surgery

Quote:

Originally posted by James Scott
Then, do I assemble the two halves the same way, by pre-heating (and using the same "adhesive") and re-clipping?
That's how you do it. Look in my locker under maintenance/headlight cleaning for pics of the process.

Mike

JLittell 06-20-2003 10:06 AM

I would add a little bit of clear silicone in the grove to be sure you have a complete seal.

svxeno 06-20-2003 04:17 PM

What about the "Blob"

While it's apart isn't there something to do with securing the focal beam lens? I remember somewhere that it get's loose and starts to chip. While apart is a perfect time to remedy that.

Randy ii

nordique14 06-20-2003 05:28 PM

try a cleaner first...

If the inside of the lights are the problem, you will need to take them apart to get the yellow off of the inside. My headlights were yellowed, but only on the outside. Some 3M plastic cleaner and polish cleaned them up real good. I think those people who get water condensation on the inside will have yellowed insides as well as outside. My front headlights luckily do not get moisture on the inside. The rear lights are a different story.

Cheers,
Matt

JLittell 06-20-2003 10:18 PM

You can take everything apart once you get it open. The focal beam globes have a tendency to chip over time. That's where the shards glass come from inside the housing. I took the focal lens out a cleaned it and reassembled. You might have some luck with blowing it out with some canned air. Overall, cleaning and taking everything apart is worth while.

James Scott 06-29-2003 06:28 PM

I dood it!

I took the stubborn one apart. Afraid to use my oven, so I just put it out in the sun here (90 to 100 degrees here now!). It was easy to get apart, but went together a little crocked (probably too much unheated sealer on that side - came out a little overlapped). Hopefully, will stay together (clips might come loose there). Looks alot better, but didn't get all scratches, so will redo some time! Thanks for your helps!:D