The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The wife has discovered performance (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=59184)

svxcess 02-06-2012 08:22 PM

The wife has discovered performance

For the second time in 10 years, my wife has ridden in my Polo. The first time was on of the earlier Readings, where I unintentionally ignored her.

The second time was last Saturday. Out of nowhere, she asked if we could take a trip in the SVX and maybe she could drive it.

Long story condensed. She discovered the stability, the ride the smoothness, the handling of Nevin's swaybar on the twisties and POWER mode. Now she realizes the performance aspect of driving that was missing in the Outback and has become hooked on the fun again.

She now has a much better understanding of my love for this car. :)

Here is the dilemma.

She would like an SVX of her own :eek: Color doesn't matter too much, but condition does. She wants one as least as nice as mine. Tall order. She loves silver, but that means a 20 year old car

If that is not possible, she is ready to trade in the 2010 Outback for a silver 2011 Legacy 2.5 GT with turbo, 6-speed manual transmission and 18" summer performance tires. It's a great handler and puts the SVX to shame in many areas, but I think it is too much performance for her and she would tire of the firm ride after a while.

Plus I am not sure how the handling and ride would change if I substituted all-season tires onto the sport suspension and wouldn't know that until after she bought the car.

Warranty, reliability and parts availability score big here, but I think this car, as a 1300 mile-a week commuter would become tiresome.

She trusts my judgement to watch out for her, but her first choice of the SVX may be unavailable. Any insights are welcome; I am at a loss here. :confused:

You have 96 HOURS!!

Sean486 02-06-2012 08:33 PM

Re: The wife has discovered performance

Give her your SVX. Problem solved. :p

Sean486 02-06-2012 08:35 PM

..or better yet, hold off until the BRZ become available. :o

Hocrest 02-06-2012 08:43 PM

SOA had one at the auto show...

svxfiles 02-06-2012 08:43 PM

John, how does She feel about a Red SVX?

svxcess 02-06-2012 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean486 (Post 696557)
..or better yet, hold off until the BRZ become available. :o

Sorry, but I hate the look of that car. As a sunny-Sunday autocrosser it may be fun, but I am talking serious all-weather commuting here, as well as comfort.

That's the equivalent of driving from New York to Miami WEEKLY in a cramped Miata!

My a$$ and my back would not thank you for this suggestion.

svxfiles 02-06-2012 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hocrest (Post 696559)
SOA had one at the auto show...

THAT one made my pants tight!

me dizzy!:drool::drool::drool::drool:

WYOSVX 02-06-2012 09:19 PM

Are there mods for the 2011 Legacy 2.5 to make it more cushy?

What about a Saab 9-5?

There are so many other things to consider, of course. Loads depends on your marriage relationship.

Will she be jealous if you don't match care given to your car with attention to hers if she has an SVX? Is this supposed to be equal or is hers supposed to be better but you're supposed to pretend it's equal?

Somehow, this feels like a no win scenario for you, but I don't know your relationship. And this is a relationship question, isn't it?

Too bad you can't go back to the moment before she got behind the wheel.

Sean is probably right. You have to give her your SVX. Maybe she'll give it back some day, maybe not.

SVXMAN2001 02-06-2012 09:28 PM

It would be a lot cheaper option AND you would be or your wife would be enjoying the SVX. I remember a recent post saying you only drove the svx 900 miles last year...having your wife drive it may remedy that. That is unless you don't want to accumulate a lot of miles.

Green1995SVX 02-06-2012 10:32 PM

There are a lot of other cars besides Subarus. In fact, the new Legacy is so bloated and, in my opinion, one of the ugliest cars on the road. It looks like they took the previous generation (good looking car) and blew it up like a balloon. :eek:

If you're looking for handling, Subaru isn't the first car that comes to mind for me.

Coan 02-06-2012 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxcess (Post 696553)
....1300 mile-a week commuter...

:eek:
I don't think I would rely on any 20 year old car for this, let alone an SVX. These cars are old, worn out, and as much as we love them and hate to admit it, they have their own unique set of problems. Unless she plans to keep her current car and only use the SVX for weekend drives, get the Legacy.

SilverSpear 02-06-2012 11:59 PM

If she needs it in a "record" timeframe, then it is a luck thing to find a "clean" SVX.
If time is of no importance, then you have to drop some real dime in tracking a low mileage SVX.

Either way it would be cheaper than a 2011 Subaru.

svxcess 02-07-2012 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coan (Post 696578)
:eek:
I don't think I would rely on any 20 year old car for this, let alone an SVX. These cars are old, worn out, and as much as we love them and hate to admit it, they have their own unique set of problems. Unless she plans to keep her current car and only use the SVX for weekend drives, get the Legacy.

That was the original idea to keep the Outback and get a good SVX to fill this need. Senseless to spend 32,000 to get the same thrill you could get for around $10,000.

svxcess 02-07-2012 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverSpear (Post 696579)
If she needs it in a "record" timeframe, then it is a luck thing to find a "clean" SVX.
If time is of no importance, then you have to drop some real dime in tracking a low mileage SVX.

Either way it would be cheaper than a 2011 Subaru.

Definitely!!

I am trying to convince her to drive my SVX more often and explore it's merits. She would be willing as long as I am in thee car with her. The more she comes to see what we do and its performance capabilities, she may not want to settle for the other Legacy,

That buys me a lot more time to find an SVX.

SilverSpear 02-07-2012 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxcess (Post 696582)
Definitely!!

I am trying to convince her to drive my SVX more often and explore it's merits. The more she comes to see what we do and its performance capabilities, she may not want to settle for the other Legacy,

That buys me a lot more time to find an SVX.

You trust her with your SVX? :p :lol: