The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Not Exactly SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Bountiful Snow .... Utah drivers... (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=59084)

Uncamitzi 01-24-2012 05:20 PM

Bountiful Snow .... Utah drivers...

Looks like once again here in the land of "the Greatest Snow on Earth" the people forgot how to drive in it..

No injuries were reported

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrJuigh2aCc

Landshark 01-24-2012 07:52 PM

Re: Bountiful Snow .... Utah drivers...

Ha, saw that on the news.

I think that people are idiots when it comes to driving in snow EVERYWHERE. i never saw so many cars in ditches than in Erie - they get a TON of snow - every year! Around here aint much better.

Crazy_pilot 01-24-2012 07:57 PM

Snow tires... How the **** do they work?!

NikFu S. 01-24-2012 08:10 PM

You guys not have studded tires up there?

The is the silliest **** I have ever seen.

I can relate though. Last December when it was above freezing during the day and snowing so there was fluff on top of water on top of ice it was a lot like this. For some reason I've never seen cluster **** like this here, though.

ed: Lol up there. I mean down there. Where the hell do I think I am.

wohnson89 01-24-2012 08:53 PM

The best parallel parker ever.... 2:41

Ron Mummert 01-24-2012 09:51 PM

Hey, Mitch.........I love the Stormin' Mormons.

Ron.

svxcess 01-24-2012 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncamitzi (Post 695577)
Looks like once again here in the land of "the Greatest Snow on Earth" the people forgot how to drive in it..

No injuries were reported

dcarrb 01-25-2012 06:31 AM

Sure that's not Atlanta?

In such conditions and in such traveling company, I'd creep to a side street, lock 'er up, and walk. I've done it before.

dcb

Uncamitzi 01-25-2012 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcarrb (Post 695631)
Sure that's not Atlanta?

In such conditions and in such traveling company, I'd creep to a side street, lock 'er up, and walk. I've done it before.

dcb

I learned how to drive on snowy roads... My driving test for my license was taken (42 years ago) on an icy course.

I've seen drivers in Seattle cope with the rare snow storm (by stopping in the middle of the freeway to put on their chains :eek:) I've watched Virginia drivers drive at 60mph on ice storm coated freeways.

I'm an advocate for harder licensing tests and more practical road tests.

On snowy days I try to stay off the roads and if that's not an option I'm the one that all the idiots in the big 4x4 trucks are passing.

It seems that physics should be taught to drivers ... a big SUV takes longer to stop on ice than a small sub compact. 4 big tires might get you going...but they just add mass to the momentum on ice.

on the other hand .... idiots that don't cope with winter driving well.... might not contribute to the gene pool.... that might help.

dcarrb 01-25-2012 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncamitzi (Post 695643)
On snowy days I try to stay off the roads and if that's not an option I'm the one that all the idiots in the big 4x4 trucks are passing.

Christmas 2010 we had what was, for these parts, quite a heavy snow, in which I drove 50+ miles, at one time passing a Jeep Wrangler. Think they had a two-fisted, white-knuckle, death grip on the wheel.

I spent three winters in New England, am fairly confident in my driving abilities in wintry weather (so long as I'm in a Suby and it ain't on ice), and am very mindful of my limitations. My biggest concern is always the other guy. In any weather.

dcb

Conn SVX 01-25-2012 11:15 AM

Is that hill a lot steeper than it looks? Look like 1/4 " of snow . We call that flurries up herein N.E. I Stay home when the snow gets above a foot, so I can drive 30 miles to go skiing <LOL>

Landshark 01-25-2012 04:07 PM

Heres a vid from last year of a road i drive past on the way home from work. Its a pretty steep hill, and apparently was a sheet of ice ......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_PVJ...e_gdata_player

Uncamitzi 01-25-2012 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Conn SVX (Post 695649)
Is that hill a lot steeper than it looks? Look like 1/4 " of snow . We call that flurries up herein N.E. I Stay home when the snow gets above a foot, so I can drive 30 miles to go skiing <LOL>

That area got about 6" during the day.... we are having a very light year in regards to snowfall here in Utah.... I think those guys in Alaska are intercepting all our snow this year :(

and the hill is a long slope and is a lot steeper than it looks in the video

Conn SVX 01-25-2012 07:20 PM

We have sand. We also put down a by product of the beer industry before the snow / ice storm. Wife and sister in law drives to work every day ,sister in law 60 miles each way and wife 40 .Wife with a -Acura T L and sis in law with a Honda civic. We get snow ,got a a surprise foot in October.Still the video was amazing and I saw there are a ton on Utube ,

NikFu S. 01-25-2012 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncamitzi (Post 695677)
That area got about 6" during the day.... we are having a very light year in regards to snowfall here in Utah.... I think those guys in Alaska are intercepting all our snow this year :(

No joke, man. I had no idea there was a snow dumb near my neighborhood until this year, and it towers like 40 feet above the road.

Everybody's yard is taller than my car since January lol.