The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Thinking about upgrading brakes (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=34421)

EdfromSF 07-26-2006 03:16 PM

Thinking about upgrading brakes

Hey everyone i just got a 92 Teal Green SVX. I have read about SVXs having rotors issues and i was thinking of upgrading to something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Subar...10824031QQrdZ1

I was wondering has anyone bought anything off this seller and is it a good deal.

Thxs

Ed

Pure_Insanity8 07-26-2006 03:28 PM

Hey, welcome to the club.:) Some members have gotten rotors and pads from Raceconcepts and have had good experiences and quality products. Generic Ebay auctions I am wary of since they could easily be junk. Also, I would personally stay away from cross drilled rotors. They can crack more easily... may not, but could... just my personal feeling.

I would wait a bit before buying new brake components until you start to need them. The stock brakes aren't that bad.

You could always try one of the couple big brake kits... if you really want to upgrade, and spend a healthy chunk of change.:D

Hocrest 07-26-2006 03:45 PM

Or talk to SVXfiles about his Big Brake Kit.

GreenMarine 07-26-2006 04:35 PM

If you are going for "Show" (Very sexy look and Insane Braking capability and want to spend a few thousand $$$) then contact Precision Braking... They make a 6 piston front kit and 4 piston rear kit... Warning!!!! It will cost you about $3,500 to do both the front and rear...

If you just want the rotors to look cool then take your caliper off... Clean it... Powdercoat it the color of your choice... Pick up a set of Slotted rotors and throw it all back together....

If you want better braking performance for cheap $$$... A set of Slotted Rotors and good set of pads will do the trick...

If you Autocross and want better "Feel" in your brakes you can do a few things... 1.) "Zip-Tie" mod... Take zip ties to your brake lines... 2.) Stainless Steel Brake lines... 3.) Better Pads.... 4.) Slotted Rotors - if you do a large amount of hard stops and you want to cut down on brake fade...

Overall though, the SVX brake system is just fine for the car... Don't believe me?? Pull the ABS fuse... Go down the road at about 30MPH... Now STAND ON THE BRAKES... If you can lock up your wheels then your brakes are totally fine...

If you want to adjust there the brakes start to grab in the pedal movment, you can adjust the Brake Booster adjustment nut... Just get on the floor and look up under your dash... YOu'll see the rod coming through the firewall and attaching to your pedal... Turn the nut one way to give more "slack" and onother way to decrease the slack... However, you do want to make sure that when you finish adjusting it that you haven't over adjusted it so that your brakes are dragging or that your brake lights are always on... If either of those happen then you will need to back it off alittle...

Hope some of those options help ya out...

GreenMarine 07-26-2006 04:40 PM

Another option is to stick around... I am planning on making a mounting bracket for the SVX to mount all aftermarket STi rotors and calipers... I'll probably do it as a project for my engineering degree. NC State's facilities at my disposal :)... I'll try to make some good use out of them ;-)... Not sure when it will happen, but I hope to have the design layout and materieal selected by the end of the year... Since I am poor as hell, I won't beable to get ahold of STi brakes or aftermarket brakes... I'll have to call up companies and have them send me specs of the mounting points... If that doesn't work then I have a few friends here in raleigh with STi's... We'll just take apart their wheels and figure it out...

Sr240sx 07-27-2006 01:22 AM

I haven't had any problems with my svx's brakes. car stops fine from a brisk pace, though the feel is NOTHING compared to my 240's.

A bit of irony. the rotors from the evo match the calipfers form an STI, and both bolt right onto a 240sx o_o

1320boy 07-27-2006 01:46 AM

I bought something very simular to those.
I spent $155.00 +shipping.
Now my car stops on a dime and even leaves change.:p
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdfromSF
Hey everyone i just got a 92 Teal Green SVX. I have read about SVXs having rotors issues and i was thinking of upgrading to something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Subar...10824031QQrdZ1

I was wondering has anyone bought anything off this seller and is it a good deal.

Thxs

Ed

stallion 07-27-2006 03:38 AM

The price for those are a little steep... there is a brake company that gives discounts to the SVX members but oh god I forgot their name! I just remember that they're located in South California.... And there was some discussion about zinc plating on their brakes about a month back. I'd search for you but I have an early day. Best of luck.

stallion 07-27-2006 02:03 PM

RACECONCEPTS! There ya go.

svxcess 07-27-2006 02:39 PM

I have the raceconcepts dimpled/slotted rotors and really like them.

Harry Newman "newsvx" is an experienced autocrosser and driving instructor, racing at Summit Point this weekend. He is very a very particular person when it comes to his brakes.

He just installed a set of the OC Autosport cross-drilled/slotted rotors all around and he seems very impressed with them. I saw them up close at the Reading meet and they look very well made. So far he has no complaints on their performance.

They are currently available on ebay for $139.00 for a set of 4 rotors.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SUBAR...10258185QQrdZ1

send newsvx a PM if you need more information.

benebob 07-28-2006 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxcess
Harry Newman "newsvx" is an experienced autocrosser and driving instructor, racing at Summit Point this weekend. He is very a very particular person when it comes to his brakes.

He just installed a set of the OC Autosport cross-drilled/slotted rotors all around and he seems very impressed with them. I saw them up close at the Reading meet and they look very well made. So far he has no complaints on their performance.

So Harry's no longer stock:eek: . In all actuality the SVX brakes very well for its vintage and today would be about mid-pack in braking ability.

I find it funny that the one thing that improves your braking feel and capacity the most for the least amount of money wasn't mentioned. Change your fluid! :D

subeman90 07-28-2006 08:17 AM

+1 on the fluid. Get the synthetic stuff it has a higher boiling point. :D

svxcess 07-28-2006 08:36 AM

Both Harry and I change our fluid on a regular basis. Harry more so since he autocrosses a lot and, prior to getting on the track at Summit Point, he must show his fluid was changed within the opast 90 days.

We both use the DOT 4 ATE Super Blue racing fluid. It comes in both blue and gold, which if you alternate, makes it easy to see when all the previous fluid has been flushed.

http://www.ate-brakes.com.

benebob 07-28-2006 02:21 PM

Valvoline syth comes in a brownish grey container and is the best bang for the buck out there. Within a couple degrees flash point of actual race fluid at a 1/3 of the price plus you don't have compatablility issues.

Motorsport-SVX 07-29-2006 01:29 AM

and of course

check out the options we have on our site

www.planetsvx.com

our rotors dont come from korea or tawain etc..

many on the site have ours on their cars
including me :)