The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Transmission and Drivetrain (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   AUTO versus Stick....help me decide..whats your take (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=45348)

Bat'Qul 06-30-2008 10:43 PM

AUTO versus Stick....help me decide..whats your take

Ok i was looking into the forums and i have felt i can definatly decide yet what i want.

I think my transmission is going...it slips it shifts hard and a few other things..i am in the process of saving for a new trans...but i want to upgrade in the process...

I do alot of city driving but i will also doing some interstate driving. I love to drive i love speed and performance. I think a stick would be fun to drive.. but the ease and cruise potential of the auto is a major plus(specially on the beaches of miami with a lady in the car! I truly want to build the car up and I WILL do a E85 conversion in sometime in november. I plan on having my engine built next year once i am in the states...Currently shipping for an engine will be too much. However I am still trying to get permission of getting stuff shipped on a crate via a c-130 but thats running into walls....but I must have a transmission. I WILL get a trans THIS year... probally in the next 2 or 3 months at the most and trying to decide between the 6 speed or ECUTUNE 4eat. I will pay the shipping because i MUST have one!

So I am open into input.

PS going to Japan for free! In August!:D Sorry just had to through that in.

joe62890 06-30-2008 11:55 PM

Re: AUTO versus Stick....help me decide..whats your take

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bat'Qul (Post 554613)
Ok i was looking into the forums and i have felt i can definatly decide yet what i want.

I think my transmission is going...it slips it shifts hard and a few other things..i am in the process of saving for a new trans...but i want to upgrade in the process...

I do alot of city driving but i will also doing some interstate driving. I love to drive i love speed and performance. I think a stick would be fun to drive.. but the ease and cruise potential of the auto is a major plus(specially on the beaches of miami with a lady in the car! I truly want to build the car up and I WILL do a E85 conversion in sometime in november. I plan on having my engine built next year once i am in the states...Currently shipping for an engine will be too much. However I am still trying to get permission of getting stuff shipped on a crate via a c-130 but thats running into walls....but I must have a transmission. I WILL get a trans THIS year... probally in the next 2 or 3 months at the most and trying to decide between the 6 speed or ECUTUNE 4eat. I will pay the shipping because i MUST have one!

So I am open into input.

PS going to Japan for free! In August!:D Sorry just had to through that in.

From what I've gauged the ECUTune 4EAT isn't worth the money. YT (TomsSVX) sells a kit to do the 5/6 speed conversion yourself and that would be the route I would go if I were you.

YourConfused 07-01-2008 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joe62890 (Post 554618)
From what I've gauged the ECUTune 4EAT isn't worth the money. YT (TomsSVX) sells a kit to do the 5/6 speed conversion yourself and that would be the route I would go if I were you.

I have yet to hear much feedback on the ECUTune 4EAT. So after many tries to have mine working properly and stop throwing codes, shift properly, etc...
I can't say anything good about it, unless you like replacing transmission parts, mounts, pulling your hair out..... I would warn you to not go that route.

Just my info on this.

b3lha 07-01-2008 03:48 AM

The VTD 4EAT is great, when it is working properly. I would choose that over a manual every time. But the USA type 4EAT is different. I don't know how it compares to a manual.

Have you considered getting your 4EAT built and modded by Levelten?

Evil One 07-01-2008 04:22 AM

I agree on the VTD 4EAT, if I had kept my SVX this is the route I had chosen to try.
However, my fiancee still has HER SVX... with a WRX 5 speed swap.
I have a grin you cant get off with a flamethrower, a crowbar, and a hammer drill... everytime I take it down the road.

Jim

DarknessofDeath 07-01-2008 06:35 AM

well...if you are willing to pay out the money..the question you ask yourself is if you want to drive auto or stick. that's why i had 2 svx's, an auto and a 6mt, - i will say that the 6mt is fun to drive though..but sometimes...you feel lazy and tired..so the auto is good that way.
sometimes i wish my car was auto..reason only from being tired

Tim 07-01-2008 06:44 AM

They're both different animals so it really depends what your driving style is liike.

sicksubie 07-01-2008 08:40 AM

6spd = fun
AT = relaxing

svxistentialist 07-01-2008 09:22 AM

I agree with sicksubie.

If you want control over the power, and entertain yourself on the twisties, go for the manual, but it is not that "easy" to do and more expensive than an auto change.

The auto is more relaxing, so you need to decide how much traffic you are driving in, what your normal commute may be. This could well indicate auto is the better option.

For my money the best SVX will be one with a 4.444 transmission, and that transmission needs Harvey's Quick Shift kit, plus it should have the Power mode modification. With that, you can have fun, or relax, it will do either job.

Joe :)

It's Just Eric 07-01-2008 12:20 PM

...if your doing a performance build to the engine (or planning to) then why have it hooked up to a slush box? its debaable that the auto might be faster in a 1/4 mile...but the svx insnt a 1/4 mile kinda car...nor will it ever be. Midaswell get a manual to make the car perform better in the bendy bits:)

Bat'Qul 07-01-2008 08:00 PM

how much power can a 6 speed actually handle...?
If i do stick i am doing it with a 6 speed...it just cost seems out of this world
and yes i am going to make the engine a e85 beast, [first and foremost i would see how far i could push it NA berfore i do forced..then think twin turbo if i do forced.]
i want the 4.11 if i do auto or stick.

I am a moody drive I like to cruise with the windows down and the speakers loud....yet oh boy I love to throw her around a bit.:tongue:

(cost and performance charactoristics?) -6 speed vs ECUTUNE 4EAT

sicksubie 07-01-2008 09:30 PM

6 speed is not 4.11 FYI..... 6speed can handle upwards of 600whp... I have seen guys who have that and are fine with their stock 6spd boxes. Put it this way, you will not get an EG33 to exceed the power capacity of a STi trans without dumping HUGE $$ into the project..

Tim 07-01-2008 09:37 PM

I was reading posts from "YourConfused" on the svx world forum and he seems to be running into a lot of issues with the Ecutune one. I'd do a little research on it though or PM him to see if and how the issue was resolved.

longassname 07-26-2008 11:30 AM

You may want to look in on this thread: http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...t=45577&page=2

I won't get drawn into defending myself but I'm sure one of the other people who have this transmission will join in and help set things straight once they are mad aware.

As I said in my post there you may want to pm nomad or iceman039 to find out what their experience was. I don't know what the real deal is with YourConfused's situation but I know it's not my fault. I gave him full access to my technical knowledge and he refused to use it and I gave him the opportunity to send the transmission back so I could go through it again and he refused that.

That said, if you want stick get stick. If you want auto I think you will find you can have faith in one of mine and that they do shift lightning fast.

longassname 07-26-2008 11:34 AM

oh..another note that just came to mind...

I'm no longer wanting a core back. I need the space for other things than transmission crates so I've raised the price and removed the core charge. I've also made the shipping flat rate so no matter where you are in the connected 48 you know what it will cost you for the whole deal to your door.

I have 4 crates so I will probably only be selling 4 more of these.