The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Fixed my stumbling idle- seafoamed the SVX today (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=56366)

North Ursalia 01-16-2011 02:21 PM

Fixed my stumbling idle- seafoamed the SVX today

Since everyone loves these videos, let's start with the video:

http://svx.northursalia.com/photos/seafoam.wmv

I had a rough idle that bounced across about 500rpm, regardless of cold or hot. Cleaning the MAF helped a little, but not much, so I was going to do the usual tuneup items (I will anyway) and figured I'd give this a try. I gotta tell you, just doing this is enough fun to justify trying this, and the results just made the fun that much sweeter. One of my neighbors hates me anyway, and some guy driving by thought it was a hoot to watch :).

The car idles much smoother, and is more responsive than I thought would be possible with such little time spent. I've had the professional BG treatments done on my Imprezas in the past, and while I imagine this was likely the dirtiest engine in my stable and a contributing factor to the change, I'd rather Seafoam in my driveway than pay for a BG treatment. 1/3 in the tank, 1/3 in the oil, 1/3 down the intake, and I've been driving around grinning like an idiot first at the smokeshow and now in the change in the car. Best $10 and 10 minutes I think I've ever spent on a car :).

North Ursalia 01-16-2011 02:26 PM

Re: Fixed my stumbling idle- seafoamed the SVX today

Forgot to add, I put the Seafoam into the intake via this vacuum nipple:

http://svx.northursalia.com/photos/seafoam1.jpg

Goes right to the throttle body and into the intake runners.

Blacky 01-16-2011 02:32 PM

Well done. I've had a bottle for a while but wasn't sure where the best place was to get it into the intake, now I know.
I'll probably wait until spring, that kind of a smoke cloud should discourage the black flies for at least a few hours.

North Ursalia 01-16-2011 02:36 PM

They're vicious down here- I'm pretty sure the buggers show up on radar :lol:!

Huskymaniac 01-16-2011 06:55 PM

Any idea if this gets the seafoam to the AACV? I have long suspected that it is clogged. While I like the idea of cleaning my intake, this procedure always scared the crap out of me.

92 SVX 01-16-2011 07:32 PM

That is exactly where I added it to my car, just use long enough hose and let the vac suck the stuff right out of the can.

North Ursalia 01-16-2011 07:47 PM

I just put a funnel up at the other end of that silicone hose and poured slowly- as long as you understand to not either dump full bore or bury the hose in the can, the process was not scary at all.

I'll check the manuals and see if the AACV gets hit or not. Back in a bit with an answer hopefully :).

North Ursalia 01-16-2011 08:06 PM

So the answer is no, this will not clean the AACV when used at that location. However, you can still do so fairly easily. If you pull the vacuum line off of the driver side of the air inlet attached directly to the throttle bodies, this line goes right through the AACV, and then comes back up directly opposite where I was putting the seafoam in. Save a little bit and pass it through here and you'll be good. Hell, you can put it straight in here if you like instead, as it will end up in the same place.

http://svx.northursalia.com/photos/aacv.jpg

Wikedjuggalo 01-16-2011 08:21 PM

I am curious to everyones take on using Seafoam on an svx engine.

Cam 01-16-2011 10:00 PM

Kind of a sidenote...but that engine does not look like it belongs in an SVX. It is certainly an EG33, but I noticed a couple differences. There is no barb coming out of the driver side intake stack. And the waterpipe is on in a different direction. The upper radiator pipe should exit over the timing cover, not the side of the bellhousing. Does this engine look like it's going in a plane?

92 SVX 01-16-2011 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wikedjuggalo (Post 666905)
I am curious to everyones take on using Seafoam on an svx engine.

Use it in moderation, but the stuff does do a lot of good.
As a additional comment if your needing to use the stuff more often then once a year or 2, or 3 there might be a physical problem that you need to address.
Unless the car sits for a very long length of time or who ever drives it only putts around like the little old lady.

icingdeath88 01-16-2011 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cam (Post 666917)
Kind of a sidenote...but that engine does not look like it belongs in an SVX. It is certainly an EG33, but I noticed a couple differences. There is no barb coming out of the driver side intake stack. And the waterpipe is on in a different direction. The upper radiator pipe should exit over the timing cover, not the side of the bellhousing. Does this engine look like it's going in a plane?

Maybe a porsche?

Sean486 01-17-2011 04:19 AM

I think it is modified for a VW swap. I'm glad to hear that the seafoam made a difference I think I will try it this summer.

North Ursalia 01-17-2011 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cam (Post 666917)

It's just from a GIS to illustrate the line to the AACV, as my SVX is at the mechanic's shop :).

North Ursalia 01-17-2011 07:43 AM

Updated the pic with part of one gratuitously stolen from 92 SVX that was posted in another thread :).