The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   non-heated mirror to heated mirror conversion (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=27030)

nordique14 06-27-2005 11:49 AM

non-heated mirror to heated mirror conversion

Has anybody done this? Just wondering what is involved. Is the wiring in the non-heated mirror models there, but just not used? Is it just a matter of adding the switch and connecting up the mirrors?

I have the switch wiring harness and a set of heated mirrors. The mirrors are the wrong color, so I will have the switch the guts out to my current mirrors. How tough is this?

Did a search and turned up nothing. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

-Matt

SubaSteevo 06-27-2005 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nordique14
Has anybody done this? Just wondering what is involved. Is the wiring in the non-heated mirror models there, but just not used? Is it just a matter of adding the switch and connecting up the mirrors?

I have the switch wiring harness and a set of heated mirrors. The mirrors are the wrong color, so I will have the switch the guts out to my current mirrors. How tough is this?

Did a search and turned up nothing. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

-Matt

I think it would be easier to paint the new ones then to swap the internals

thundering02 06-27-2005 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BurgundyBeast
I think it would be easier to paint the new ones then to swap the internals

Most definatly. It would appear that the heated modle has two extra wires red hot black ground that go to a switch should be easy to wire as the wire pack goes into the door and down to a big round plate/plug in the door play the cards rite and you could potentially wire them to the window lock swtich.

Radar 06-28-2005 01:37 AM

Due to a broken black edge I had to take my left side mirror apart. It is not difficult, but you have to have the courage to lever the mirror glass out of the case with a big screwdriver - it can easily break. Don't worry about the connections to the positioning motor. They come off with the glass.

Once the glass is out, it is easy to take the mirror completely apart and exchange the covers.

The even tougher side is to get the glass back in. I needed to take the white nylon-joint out that holds the glass. Then cut and sand its edges round and make a few cuts in the plastic backside of the mirror glass, so it slips easier on the nylon-joint. Mount the joint back in and press the glass with lots of power back into place. Again, it can break easily.

I guess when they build the mirror, the last step was to glue the mirror glass in place.

The result is a little damage at the edge of the mirror glass which I fixed with a piece of self-adhesive chromium-foil. Not perfect but cheaper than a new mirror. Maybe someday I find a used left side mirror with heating in silver.

SilverSpear 06-28-2005 04:16 AM

Speaking about this issue, i have an extra mirror I bought off ebay, it is heated, but the thing is that it doesn't move up and down, just right to left, is that normal? i mean when you do the conversion from non heated to heated mirror? :confused:

nordique14 06-28-2005 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radar
Due to a broken black edge I had to take my left side mirror apart. It is not difficult, but you have to have the courage to lever the mirror glass out of the case with a big screwdriver - it can easily break. Don't worry about the connections to the positioning motor. They come off with the glass.

Once the glass is out, it is easy to take the mirror completely apart and exchange the covers.

The even tougher side is to get the glass back in. I needed to take the white nylon-joint out that holds the glass. Then cut and sand its edges round and make a few cuts in the plastic backside of the mirror glass, so it slips easier on the nylon-joint. Mount the joint back in and press the glass with lots of power back into place. Again, it can break easily.

I guess when they build the mirror, the last step was to glue the mirror glass in place.

The result is a little damage at the edge of the mirror glass which I fixed with a piece of self-adhesive chromium-foil. Not perfect but cheaper than a new mirror. Maybe someday I find a used left side mirror with heating in silver.

Radar,

Thanks for the info. I picked up the mirrors from a junkyard. One is already cracked, so I won;t have a backup if I crack the other one on the same side. :) Sounds like I may have work up some courage to try this. Not for the faint of heart.

Anybody successfully convert to heated mirrors?

-Matt

dan_j_b 12-10-2005 07:18 PM

I swapped the doors from my 92 LS-L onto my 95 L and also put the heated mirror switch in, but when I puch the button, the light doesn't come on. I even swapped the light with a known working one. I assumed all SVX's use the same dash wiring harness, but maybe they don't. Has anyone successfully gotten this to work? I'll trace the wiring tomorow and see if theres some missing.

Also, I discovered that my 95L doesn't have in dash tweeters, just fake covers with the wiring behind them! I guess they really did everything they could do to keep the cost down on the L, huh.

Dan

redlightningsvx 06-14-2008 07:44 PM

Re: non-heated mirror to heated mirror conversion

Bring it back to find out the answer. Does anyone know a good way of doing this or have done it with no damage to the glass?

EDIT: took apart my spare junk heated mirror and you pretty much have to break the glass out because there is a screw behind it holding it onto the tilt motors. Maybe with a heat gun you could pop the mirror off.

Trevor 06-14-2008 09:21 PM

I have had two mirrors damaged by accident and have been through this exercise without success. The plastic of the retaining ball and socket gismo appears to get hard over time and requires a lot of pressure to release.

I had a mirror cut by a local glass supply outfit and glued it in, only to be told that they could have fitted it to the frame by softening the edge using a heat gun. Therefore it should be possible to remove a mirror the same way to get at the screw behind. Live and learn, as I hope we all are as a result of this thread. :)

P.S. If anyone is successful in this, details should go in the how too section, as it is a perplexing issue.

SVXalter 07-12-2009 01:48 PM

So if I have the switch and the heated mirrors is this fairly straightforward or is the wiring non existent in the L models?

TomsSVX 07-12-2009 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVXalter (Post 609265)
So if I have the switch and the heated mirrors is this fairly straightforward or is the wiring non existent in the L models?

If you have the mirrors and the switch it will simply plug in and bolt up.

Tom

TomsSVX 07-12-2009 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redlightningsvx (Post 551972)
Bring it back to find out the answer. Does anyone know a good way of doing this or have done it with no damage to the glass?

EDIT: took apart my spare junk heated mirror and you pretty much have to break the glass out because there is a screw behind it holding it onto the tilt motors. Maybe with a heat gun you could pop the mirror off.

Just as an update. A heat gun will yield good results in getting the glue soft. Then you can pull the glass from the carriage and dismount the carriage from the mirror assembly

Tom

NiftySVX 07-17-2009 09:30 AM

My car was vandalized and I ordered new mirrors for LSi grade and then put a used heated switch in and it works. You can see the wires in the connector for the mirror if you look at it. I have replaced the glass only on Legacys of this vintage but I know for a fact it is not available as a service part for the SVX, and plus the mirror itself would not have the wires for the heater internally. But I'm sure you figured that out by now.

redlightningsvx 07-17-2009 04:34 PM

You can buy just the glass heated and non still