The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   I'll ask it right this time... (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=19776)

Whoru465 07-06-2004 12:53 PM

I'll ask it right this time...

I know there are countless threads on Transmission cooling. However, there are a few questions who's answers have eluded me. Having searched for two days I can't find a general consensus for these two questions:

1. Is the Permacool ATF filter installed in series with the stock fliter? Or does one bypass the stock filter? I have heard mention of a bypass valve, yet the kit makes no mention of it.

2. When running the add-on B&M cooler, should it be placed in series before or after the stock cooler?

Any help would be really appreciated as I am new to SVX mania and I want to do things right. Thanks in advance.

-Mike

Mr. Pockets 07-06-2004 01:17 PM

Re: I'll ask it right this time...

Quote:

Originally posted by Whoru465
2. When running the add-on B&M cooler, should it be placed in series before or after the stock cooler?
You're either going to get tons of responses because there are so many different opinions, or you're going to get no responses because we're all tired of discussing the topic. :D

I took the stock cooler out of the loop entirely on my car. That way the ATF doesn't come in contact with the radiator at all. But if you really want to leave it in the loop, I'd connect it before the aftermarket cooler. The B&M will undoubtably cool better than the stock cooler, and placing the stock after the B&M just means you're going to heat it back up again.

It should be noted that I have no raw data to back this opinion up with, but then nobody else does, either. :p

dcarrb 07-06-2004 01:25 PM

Quote:

1. Is the Permacool ATF filter installed in series with the stock fliter? Or does one bypass the stock filter? I have heard mention of a bypass valve, yet the kit makes no mention of it.

1. If by "stock" filter you mean the external or "campaign" cansiter-type filter, if you have one, you don't really need the other.

2. I go with filter/radiator cooler (new radiator)/aftermarket cooler, all in series. No supporting data here, either; just makes sense to me.

dcb

ensteele 07-06-2004 01:26 PM

Quote:

-Mike

I would bypass the stock filter all together if you are going to add the PermaCool filter.

The bypass valve that you have heard about is in the PermaCool filter and it allows the ATF fluid to bypass the filter if the filter becomes clogged. This way your tranny will not be starved of fluid. You don't have to do anything with it, it is already there.

Good luck. :)

PS I left my radiator cooler hooked up with the PermaCool filter and B&M cooler. I run my cooler after the radiator like Mr. Pockets mentioned. (now that is a scary thought) :D

lee 07-06-2004 01:58 PM

Quote:

1. Is the Permacool ATF filter installed in series with the stock filter?

NO
Or does one bypass the stock filter?
YES
I have heard mention of a bypass valve, yet the kit makes no mention of it.
There is a bypass valve in the ATF filter (as mentioned by Earl), there's also an different add-on temp sensitive bypass that prevents flow thru the add-on cooler until the ATF gets to XXX degrees, but I don't know a source to buy one of these.

After. Make sure the filter is before either cooler to prevent blockage. There has been some discussion of thermodynamic principles that suggest putting air cooled cooler first, but I don't want to think about it...most add-on cooler OEMs recommend after the factory cooler...don't know why.

These are opinions only as warned about above...just trying to help with consensus (like in this group.... I can dream can't I).

Whoru465 07-06-2004 02:03 PM

Oh IN the filter. I guess I didn't put 2 and 2 together. Thanks for the help. I'm going to hopefully begin work on that stuff tomorrow...

-Mike

PS- Pockets, I'm sure there will be many, many more question besides tranny issues...We havent even dabbled in sticky sunroofs yet..hehe...See, it's something to look forward to :rolleyes:

ensteele 07-06-2004 04:34 PM

The reason that it is recommended to mount the air cooler after the radiator cooler is that if the tranny is VERY HOT, the water in the radiator is more efficient in cooling the fluid down faster, and then the air cooler will cool it down more yet.

Another reason is during extreme cold, it will allow the fluid to be kept warmer and not get too cold. :)

There have been a couple members who had valves that would allow changing the flow depending on the weather or time of year. I have been tempted to try some valves which would allow me to try some of the different cooling methods and compare them in different conditions and decide for myself. :)

SVX-FF 07-06-2004 04:53 PM

tranny thermostate

I have installed a remote tranny filter and a external oil thermostate on my 92 svx. I also have a 3/4" thick cooler sandwiched inbetween my rad and condensor. It is a little tricky getting the plumbing done but it works. Tranny temp warms up faster.
The remote filter is a summit brand but it is made by Perma-Cool. That is the filter it came with. There is no hole in the top for a temp gauge though. You can drill and tap one because the casting allows for it.
The thermostate is rated at 180 deg. I have had no problem with it. and I still use my stock cooler too.

Steve

Whoru465 07-06-2004 08:33 PM

On second thought...

I just want to make sure I have the flow path correct. The forward outlet on the transmission spits oil to the filter, then coolers and then it gets back into the tranny via the rear inlet, correct? On the "How To" docs that seems to be reversed, or am I reading it wrong. Sorry again for the noob questions. Thanks...

-Mike (Aprehensively waiting for tomorrow's SVX pick up)

sharky512345 07-06-2004 09:29 PM

Re: tranny thermostate

Quote:

Originally posted by SVX-FF
I have installed a remote tranny filter and a external oil thermostate on my 92 svx. I also have a 3/4" thick cooler sandwiched inbetween my rad and condensor. It is a little tricky getting the plumbing done but it works. Tranny temp warms up faster.
The remote filter is a summit brand but it is made by Perma-Cool. That is the filter it came with. There is no hole in the top for a temp gauge though. You can drill and tap one because the casting allows for it.
The thermostate is rated at 180 deg. I have had no problem with it. and I still use my stock cooler too.

Steve

hey, just to let you know your links are to pictures that are locally on your computer.:eek:

SVX-FF 07-07-2004 04:22 PM

Re: Re: tranny thermostate

Quote:

Originally posted by sharky512345

hey, just to let you know your links are to pictures that are locally on your computer.:eek:

Soory about that I was not thinking.
Remote filter kit
Remote tranny t-stat

Steve

IggDawg 07-08-2004 09:32 AM

Look for my thread on tranny cooler placement. I've got some pretty good reasoning behind my claims.