The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   overdrive (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=43996)

svxAL 03-28-2008 11:53 PM

overdrive

I got my car to the tranny shop today and they say that the overdrive is kicking in and out. they say it can be driven like that and sespect it to be my mafs. so I took it off and cleaned it with carb spray.(throttle body clean as well) and put a new cone filter on so everything would stay clean. same problem any clues on what to do if i put it in 3 it drives perfect. Is there any way i can disconnect the overdrive? please help?
thanks- Aaron

cruisen_15 03-29-2008 12:29 AM

so you say you cleaned your maf with carb cleaner? thats probably not good, you should use actual maf cleaner, it can be found at shucks and pep boys, you can also take apart the maf and make sure the soderd pins are still intact, one of mine was broken and my car was acting all weird, fixed it and it drove alot better, dont know if that will help with the overdrive problem though :o

o your the guy off cardomain, i love your red two tone svx!!! i really want to do what you did!!! it looks really good!

b3lha 03-29-2008 01:06 AM

What they told you doesn't make any sense.

The MAF measures the air going into the engine so that the ECU (engine computer) can work how much fuel is required. It is not connected in any way to the TCU (transmission computer). They are completely separate systems.

I cannot see any way that your MAF can affect your transmission.

Have you tried checking the TCU error codes? (see howto documents or http://www.svx-iw.com)

svxAL 03-29-2008 10:40 AM

thanks

going to try that later today i will let you know what i find

svxAL 03-29-2008 02:38 PM

ok we got codes!!!

i did the exsiting test and all it does is just blink fast and dosent stop. then i treid the previoues promblems one and got a code 33 witch is vehicle speed sensor #2 whats next ?

nextse7en 03-29-2008 03:48 PM

Next is swapping out your tranny resistor, followed by TPS testing or swap with a known good one.

Trevor 03-29-2008 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxAL (Post 537901)
i did the exsiting test and all it does is just blink fast and dosent stop. then i treid the previoues promblems one and got a code 33 witch is vehicle speed sensor #2 whats next ?

The speed sensor is obviously a logical suspect item. On the basis of hard evidence, you must now place it at the very top of your list.

svxAL 03-29-2008 05:20 PM

so first go for the sensor then the tps and resistor

nextse7en 03-29-2008 06:20 PM

Ack, sorry, I thought since you had recieved the code, you had replaced the speed sensor.

Further troubleshooting is worthless until we get to a baseline of no codes.

-Patrick

svxAL 03-29-2008 06:49 PM

ok thanks now i have to see if i can get a vss on monday and put it in

svxAL 03-30-2008 11:37 AM

stupid ?

ok so i got the code 33 in all but it was a previous code so does that mean that it was already fixed and not deleted or what?

Manarius 03-30-2008 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxAL (Post 538024)
ok so i got the code 33 in all but it was a previous code so does that mean that it was already fixed and not deleted or what?

In your case, I would clear all the codes and make the ECU throw all the codes again. That way, you know what's broken and what's not.

svxAL 03-30-2008 05:43 PM

best way to clear the codes?

svxistentialist 03-30-2008 05:59 PM

The ECU has to lose the memory.

Best way to do it is take off both battery terminals and touch them together for a few seconds.

This will lose your radio stations etc, but it clears the ECU.

Put it all back together and redo the "previous codes" test, you should now have zilch.

Once you have got to that point, do a bit of driving, come back home and run the "current problems" test again. Anything showing now should be a current problem.

Joe

svxAL 03-30-2008 06:58 PM

i cleared the codes with the blue wire thing but they would not clear i still have a code 32 and then i did the tcu again and still had a previous code 33 they wont clear