The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Just had tranny rebuilt, and ....... (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=58303)

SVX92-97 09-19-2011 08:34 PM

Just had tranny rebuilt, and .......

Just picked up my 97 ebony from the tranny shop, and had the original tranny rebuilt. The tranny shifts great, but when making turns from street to street, and turning while reversing it has a slight bind and makes a thumping noise from the rear end. The shop said all the AWD parts are brand new, as are the clutches and replaced all the solenoids. Also my speedo and odometer dont work most of the time, and when the speedo works, the needle bonces from 20 to 0. I guess the speed sensor is either no good or not on all the way:confused: I notified the shop and they said to bring it back so they could look at it. Any idea on what the problem may be. I just shelled out $1,877 for the rebuild tax included.

ZMan 09-19-2011 09:20 PM

Re: Just had tranny rebuilt, and .......

Add 3-4 ounces of a Limited Slip Friction Modifier to the tranny fluid and do some slow almost full lock circles in each direction.

A trans shop near me had to do this after replacing the clutch pack TWICE on a customers car. - That fixed it.

Here's the oil they used:
http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=41&pcid=4

Green1995SVX 09-19-2011 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZMan (Post 686815)
Add 3-4 ounces of a Limited Slip Friction Modifier to the tranny fluid and do some slow almost full lock circles in each direction.

A trans shop near me had to do this after replacing the clutch pack TWICE on a customers car. - That fixed it.

Here's the oil they used:
http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=41&pcid=4

I would not add the limited slip additive. That is a band-aid. If the transmission were properly rebuilt, it should not be binding. When I had the transmission rebuilt in my 95, I experienced the same problem. The eventually had to rebuild it a second time using genuine subaru transfer clutches, and that solved the problem.

ZMan 09-20-2011 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green1995SVX (Post 686833)
I would not add the limited slip additive. That is a band-aid. If the transmission were properly rebuilt, it should not be binding. When I had the transmission rebuilt in my 95, I experienced the same problem. The eventually had to rebuild it a second time using genuine subaru transfer clutches, and that solved the problem.

It is not a band aid. I've heard this before from a number of arm chair mechanics who THINK they know what's going on.

Fact is, the shop I was talking about was using Subaru clutches, and even soaked the second set for 2 days in some kind of fluid to condition them.

When that didn't work, he found that even Subaru themselves do this.

It never hurts the tranny and it's not a band aid.

Ford, GM, and so on use this fluid in their posi traction rear ends - are they using a band aid?

Where did you get your info from?

svxcess 09-20-2011 08:11 AM

In difficult times like these, I have to wonder , "What would YT do?". :lol:

Hocrest 09-20-2011 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxcess (Post 686864)
In difficult times like these, I have to wonder , "What would YT do?". :lol:

Not sure??? But he'd be done by now. :D

1986nate 09-20-2011 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZMan (Post 686854)
It is not a band aid. I've heard this before from a number of arm chair mechanics who THINK they know what's going on.

Fact is, the shop I was talking about was using Subaru clutches, and even soaked the second set for 2 days in some kind of fluid to condition them.

When that didn't work, he found that even Subaru themselves do this.

It never hurts the tranny and it's not a band aid.

Ford, GM, and so on use this fluid in their posi traction rear ends - are they using a band aid?

Where did you get your info from?

Comparing GM and Ford rear ends to a Subaru transfer clutch... :bash:

ZMan 09-20-2011 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1986nate (Post 686872)
Comparing GM and Ford rear ends to a Subaru transfer clutch... :bash:

Yeah, you missed the point.

What part of Subaru themselves use this same method
didn't you get?

Do you have anything constructive to add?

1986nate 09-20-2011 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZMan (Post 686873)
Yeah, you missed the point.

What part of Subaru themselves use this same method
didn't you get?

Do you have anything constructive to add?

A proper rebuild shouldn't need anything other than a proper transmission fluid. Worst case, do some figure 8's to break the transfer clutches in but I would not add any type of additive.

SVX92-97 09-20-2011 11:37 AM

Guess, I better start doing figure 8's. How many should I do:o

dcarrb 09-20-2011 11:43 AM

As svxfiles suggested in your other thread, the TPS may need adjusting or replacing. Maybe you didn't notice before because the transmission was shot. A new TPS completely cured AWD binding and gear-hunting in one of mine.

dcb

SVX92-97 09-20-2011 11:53 AM

how much is new TPS?

SVX92-97 09-20-2011 12:00 PM

Just called my local subaru dealer. List is $289, my price would be $207 plus tax for a new TPS. I guess I should try adjusting the current one first.

92snowmachine 09-20-2011 12:32 PM

when i had my tranny rebuilt the shop said that the ultimate cause of death for the transmission was a bad speed sensor. since the trans was confused it was trying to apply the transfer clutches all of the time. don't know if this is true or not but since your speedo doesn't work maybe it's worth looking into.

ZMan 09-20-2011 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1986nate (Post 686875)
I would not add any type of additive.

Based on what?