The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Has anyone had just the black parts painted... (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=58084)

davew833 08-19-2011 01:46 PM

Has anyone had just the black parts painted...

Has anyone had just the roof, trunk lid, spoiler and sail panels painted black on their car lately that might be willing to share how much they paid? I was quoted between $450-600 by Maaco to do mine depending on whether I wanted single-stage or base/clear. My spoiler is in pretty rough shape and will take some prep. Is that a reasonable cost?

svxcess 08-19-2011 02:46 PM

Re: Has anyone had just the black parts painted...

Careful preparation is key to everything to get the results you want.

Price sounds too low to have it done correctly, but about right for a simple scuff and mask MAACO job. Its a hit-or miss gamble with each shop.

To do it correctly, the rubber molding at the windshield and rear window have to be lifted up so the paint can flow underneath. The side garnishes (sail panels) need to be removed and the rubber gaskets removed and reinstalled and sprayed and new clips for re-installation. Sunroof molding needs to be removed. Spoiler needs to be prepped and painted separately.

Simple masking of anything you don't want painted will allow the paint to eventually chip and peel at the edges where the rubber and paint meet.

Painting and buffing all sides if the repainted spoiler can only be done off the car. Needs to be done anyway when repainting the trunk.

Base and clear is preferable as it allows more protection and easier to polish out blemishes.

I care about the details and want it done right the first time without having the hassle of taking it back. I know their paint is a low quality and not as durable as our OEM finish.You want it to look original and not "just painted"

Search GOOGLE on this subject. I would find a smaller independent shop that has pride in their work, not a volume outfit.

IMHO

Quote:

Originally Posted by davew833 (Post 684385)
Has anyone had just the roof, trunk lid, spoiler and sail panels painted black on their car lately that might be willing to share how much they paid? I was quoted between $450-600 by Maaco to do mine depending on whether I wanted single-stage or base/clear. My spoiler is in pretty rough shape and will take some prep. Is that a reasonable cost?

Conn SVX 08-19-2011 06:57 PM

Roof , panel in the center of the C/F hood and the rear bumper $2,300. I got them down to 2,500 . that is removing the sun roof and lifting all the rubber as stated above

SVX92-97 08-19-2011 07:07 PM

Having the spoiler and side garnishes repainted on my 97 Ebony from a body shop friend Ive know for 20 years. Paid $45 for a quart of base, and hes only charging me $5 for the clear. Labor including prep, and supplies hes charging me only $75. I would think at least $500 for paint, labor and supplies to do the roof, deck, spoiler and garnishes and to do it right, as svxcess has suggested. Good Luck finding someone who will do it right and at a reasonable cost.

benebob 08-19-2011 07:23 PM

Your prices are quite high for a spray requiring no body work. I'd expect to pay around $400-500 for the job at my local shop with quality auto paint and clear then a 90 day finish polish. Heck for $3000 cash I got everything but my engine bay painted on the TVR including about 100 hours of fixing spiders, sanding to bare, primer and door r&r.

10 years ago I had my mirrors and sails painted along with the front fender repaired and paid $350. Depending on the capability of the painter the sails do not need to come off (mine didn't and a CR writer would never know they were painted). I wouldn't hesitate to leave the decision in the hands of the painter once you've found the shop you want.

wohnson89 08-24-2011 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davew833 (Post 684385)

I know people who used to work at maaco shops....never and I mean NEVER use them... you will ruin your car. pay good money, and get a good paintjob. My car was just recently completely painted by my dad (who is a pro paint and body man), and he said usually for a paint job of this caliber, he would expect to charge $4500 to $5000.

p.s. if your painting the sail panels, you will have to order some new clips, mine all broke when they came off.

SVX_MY_BABY 08-25-2011 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wohnson89 (Post 684891)
I know people who used to work at maaco shops....never and I mean NEVER use them... you will ruin your car. pay good money, and get a good paintjob. My car was just recently completely painted by my dad (who is a pro paint and body man), and he said usually for a paint job of this caliber, he would expect to charge $4500 to $5000.

p.s. if your painting the sail panels, you will have to order some new clips, mine all broke when they came off.

Also will probably need the black trim pieces around the sail panels. They get brittle.

I was just quoted $5000.00 to paint my entire car.

SVX92-97 08-25-2011 10:23 AM

Wow, $5000 you could buy two nice svx's for that price. It better be show quality for that price.