The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Checking Trans fluid level (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=46975)

Michael Blue 11-20-2008 12:34 AM

Checking Trans fluid level

OK, stupid question, but as I get the car ready for winter, I'm checking all the fluids. Someone mentioned that there are several methods to checking trans fluid levels (car running, not running, etc), and several types of trans fluid.

My car has an unknown year Legacy 4EAT 4.44 auto trans in it, swapped by a former member of this site who I (thankfully) no longer have contact with.

How should I go about checking and topping off the trans fluid, and what fluid should be added?

Thanks!

~M

1986nate 11-20-2008 03:38 AM

Re: Checking Trans fluid level

In order to properly check the trans fluid, the easiest way is after driving it around for awhile (long enough to get it to full operating temp), then park on a flat surface and shift through all the gears and back to park and check the fluid. Sometimes it is more recommended to have someone leave it in drive and have their foot on the brake while you check the fluid level. And thats about it.

-Nate

Michael Blue 11-20-2008 03:46 AM

Perfect! Thank you!

Any special fluid for topping it off, or will any ATF work?

~M

1986nate 11-20-2008 05:31 AM

A lot of people recommend using the subaru ATF from the dealership as it matches the friction properties of the clutch packs best. Otherwise any Dexron compatible fluid should work. If the fluid is dingy and not pink anymore it is best to change the transmission and fluid and filter but be sure to use an OEM trans pan gasket as the cork ones that come with the trans filter kits are junk. If you need to change the fluid/filter, its recommended by many people here to switch to any full synthetic fluid such as Amsoil, Mobil 1, or Royal Purple.

If the fluid in there now is brownish, you should change the fluid/filter with regular Dexron and then after about 5000 miles change the fluid again and go ahead and put synthetic but not necessary to change the filter again.

svxxx26 11-20-2008 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1986nate (Post 572941)
In order to properly check the trans fluid, the easiest way is after driving it around for awhile (long enough to get it to full operating temp), then park on a flat surface and shift through all the gears and back to park and check the fluid. Sometimes it is more recommended to have someone leave it in drive and have their foot on the brake while you check the fluid level. And thats about it.

-Nate

I've never heard of leaving it in Drive - the owner's manual says to check in Park. What is the rationale behind that?

1986nate 11-20-2008 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxxx26 (Post 572960)
I've never heard of leaving it in Drive - the owner's manual says to check in Park. What is the rationale behind that?

Not sure I just thought I heard somewhere you can check it in drive. I personally always check in park though so just ignore that lol.