The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The SVX and you (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50340)

TomsSVX 05-21-2009 07:23 PM

The SVX and you

I need to vent something that has been on my mind lately.

To pre-tense this a little I am sick and tired of hearing a commercial on the radio or TV that uses the phrase "now more than ever" Seriously?? Did you wipe your ass with $100 bills before the recession??

Ok to the point. I have been reading the forums for years now and have seen many members come and go. We are in the middle of the "young" crowd migration and a lot of older members are less frequent. This not a bad thing,as diversity amongst us is what brings us together. But with it the realization that the cars are losing value becomes aparent as the "young" crowd typically has a lower budget. With that being said please take the next couple points to heart before buying an SVX.

1. It is a 16 year old car. It is going to NEED maintenance that may or may not have been kept up on by the previous owners. GET USED TO IT!!

2. Head Gasket failures are becoming more and more common. I have not noticed any particular year, mileage, abusive owners, or any other factor contributing to the cause of failure more than AGE. If you are buying an SVX, expect this repair within the next 3 years at least.

3. The transmissions are FINE! The 1992's did have a string of things wrong with them that caused a premature failure. These have essentially been phased out by remans. Seriously at this point, you need to realize that automatic transmissions from the late 80's are not going to last a hell of a lot longer than 100K especially if they are not maintained and serviced regularly. If you are buying an SVX with the original trans, be skeptical but at this age, it is likely going to be an issue. If you get one with a rebuilt trans, be skeptical but make sure it is serviced often and properly.

4. You are not going to make a 400hp SVX w/ a couple hundred bucks. It is not a modifier's car. It is a fabricator's car to modifiy. You are not gonna find parts on JC Whitney or Summit Racing that will bolt on. EVERYTHING is specialty for this vehicle. Some of us have done our best to convert commonly used parts from other vehicles to adapt to the car. BUT this doesn't mean it is going to be cheap or easy. If you want real performance gains, you will need $10k as a good start.

5. The wheels bearings are not bad by design. Example: I race my 1992 silver w/ 160K on the ODO. It has the factory wheel bearings in it. These are some of the things that are called REGULAR MAINTENANCE. It is possible to deal with a hub that may be out of round. In these select few cases the hub needs to be replaced to fix the issue. Again, it is not the bearing's fault, it is a bad hub. As long as they are installed properly, they will last a long time

6. Exhaust systems are going to rust. You are talking about 16 year old tubing here people. It sees extremely hot temperatures, water, salt, you name it. They are only going to get worse. STOP trying to patch it, have it replaced in sections if you cannot afford to replace the entire exhaust.

7. Rubber, it dries out. Engine mounts, transmission mounts, differential bushings, exhaust hangers, control arm bushings, swap bar bushings... These things are going to fail. You own an old car, get used to the idea.

8. Oil Leaks, its a Subaru... its going to happen. FIX THEM! I have seen undercoating wiped off of the bottom of some of the cars that come into the shop because the oil simply breaks it down. It is not helping anything.

9. Services, you want to fix you cam seals after reading point #8. Do you know when the timing belt was changed? Do you know when the water pump was changed?? Are those idlers from 1990 really still good?? These are not questions you need to ask. When taking the timing covers off do the following. Replace the cam seals, cam plugs, crank seal, water pump, thermostat, thermostat gasket, water pump gasket, timing belt, timing belt idlers. This will save you money in the long run because it takes at least an hour to get to any of these to repair on their own. Labor=$ Save money by spending it wisely.

10.This may be the most important of all. It is a 1992-1997 CAR!! Doesn't matter if it is a Subaru or a Ford. It will need maintenance, it will need repairs, and it will need them sooner than you want to believe.

So for you that own them. Start taking care of them and stop *****ing about how expensive they are to have, or sell them to someone who will. For those of you buying them. This will help you be aware of what you are buying into and hopefully guide you in the correct direction with your decision.

I will offend people by making this thread, I hope I enlighten the majority:)

Tom

Crazy_pilot 05-21-2009 07:38 PM

Re: The SVX and you

Well said. Many times I've be nearly driven nuts by people who own 240s or Civics or Neons (ie; common cars which have a massive aftermarket full of cheap, bolt on parts), who just don't understand that I can't go out and buy a turbo kit or coilover system or stove pipe exhaust.

Unfortunately I think it's the low selling value of our cars that is driving this trend. Young people without a significant budget can buy these cars, but then aren't ready for the cost of repair, which can easily equal the purchase price of a cheaper SVX.

And seriously, budgeting for repair work isn't that hard. I'm a full time student, away from home during the school year, without a loan. I worked through the year and I now have nearly $6000 saved up for my 6MT swap. Two more paychecks and I'll be ready to buy everything.

Reality check people. It looks cool, it looks fast, it looks like it would have a myriad of bolt on parts available, but it's not. It's a 12-17 year old car that never caught on. It was never designed to be cheap, in 1990 or today.

Mike621 05-21-2009 07:38 PM

Agreed completely. Thank you.

Green1995SVX 05-21-2009 07:54 PM

This thread is full of win. Well said, Tom.

SVXyGirl 05-21-2009 08:17 PM

THANK YOU TOM!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot (Post 602263)
Unfortunately I think it's the low selling value of our cars that is driving this trend. Young people without a significant budget can buy these cars, but then aren't ready for the cost of repair, which can easily equal the purchase price of a cheaper SVX...

Or they buy an SVX. Blow the trans and either part it out or take it to the junk yard. :(

I'd rather be buying parts for my SVX than spending my money on designer shoes or a purse. A purse is not dragging my @$$ to work everyday. :lol:

Wikedjuggalo 05-21-2009 08:24 PM

When I bought one I put in more repairs cost then what I paid for it :). Of course I did preventative maintenance. Adding up my repairs in my Barcelona it was purchased for 2000 dollars and then with in 1 year 1/2 I have put over 4000 dollars back into it. Now the engine is needed to be pulled and HG done on it (I believe). My Emerald I ended up having as much money as I bought it for back in repairs/preventative stuff. Not to scare anyone :O but people needed to know what can happen. Then again sometimes people get them and don't have any problems.

Summary: Repairs exceeded cost of purchase..

Tim 05-21-2009 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wikedjuggalo (Post 602276)

I would never admit to how much I've spent on the SVX: Somewhere in the ballpark of $15,000

Black88GTA 05-21-2009 08:55 PM

There is nothing more expensive than a "cheap" SVX. I bought mine for $1k in January needing "nothing but a MAF and a new transmission" :rolleyes: according to the previous owner. Familiar story to some on the board, I'm sure. Long story short, I have spent roughly $5000 - $5500 since then just bringing it back from the brink, and I'm far from done. I didn't know it at the time, but it was basically in "parts car" condition when I got it. I feel most would have either scrapped it or parted it out if they had ended up with it and assessed all of the work needed to make it a reliable driver again.

On one hand, I'm glad that another is saved from the scrap heap. But on the other hand - given the money I've spent on it - I could have bought a beautiful SVX with half the mileage and very little work needed in the first place, and had plenty of cash left over to boot.

My car is finally at the point where it is in acceptable (to me) running shape. All major work that still remains to be done mechanically (at least for now) is to reseal the front of the motor, replace belts and crank pulley (all of this will be done this weekend) and track down an annoying EGR problem which has popped up in the last week. Non-essential things still on the to-do list include replacing the doors, having some minor bodywork done, and finally getting a fresh paint job. When all is said and done, I'll probably have close to $10k into it - but at least it'll be a good, solid, presentable car again.

To all potential buyers - save yourself the trouble. Spend more money at the start on a well-cared for car, rather than a "bargain" fixer-upper. You'll thank yourself later.

oab_au 05-21-2009 08:56 PM

Yes got to agree with that Tom. What gets me is the US generation (nothing personal) think this car is the same as all the other US cars. " got to do the exhaust and the inlet to free up some HP".
Believe me Subaru has freed up all there is, to get the best out of the engine, the rest takes a lot of money and work.
Not for the pocket money approach.:)

Harvey.

SVXRide 05-21-2009 09:50 PM

Well said, Brother YT!:cool:

One thing to add. Personally speaking, the SVX offers the unique opportunity to be creative and innovative, due precisely to the fact that so few of them were sold. As you noted, you can't just go to J.C. Whitney or Summit and buy performance parts for it off the shelf. There is a challenge here that not many other cars out there can match.:cool::cool:

-Bill

Freeman 05-21-2009 10:04 PM

If the post wasn't so long i'd have it turned into a decal and put it on my car. This not only educates most of us who already have these great cars but also educates the many SVX nay sayers. I think this should be a sticky..

Green1995SVX 05-21-2009 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freeman (Post 602291)
I think this should be a sticky..

Agreed. 321

mysvxrocks 05-21-2009 10:49 PM

I agree with you.

And I now drive a 2006 Focus for that reason.

I love the car, have had three of them. Hopefully one day I can get another, but its just not in the picture now. I couldnt rely on it as a DD. Looking back, I should have kept my 92 teal, 500 for trade in was a total rip off. But whatevers clever. I can now go out to my car, and not worry about it not starting.

You have made many points very clear, and did a good job saying it.

shelfy 05-22-2009 12:06 AM

i want out. that'll happen.

subbieatnz 05-22-2009 01:30 AM

I agree with what Tom said.
It is a old car, parts are getting worn.
When I brought mine I did my research and knew what would go wrong then I looked around for the best one I could find at the time.

SSSVX 05-22-2009 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wikedjuggalo (Post 602276)

This will happen, and this is a ten yrs-old plus car especially of many of us bought it used. This will happen, if you still have it because you still love this car. Whatever more time or money you gonna spend on, it's probably the labor or money of love in my opinions. It's not easy to keep up, and to have a good reliable old car. :)

ensteele 05-22-2009 03:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black88GTA (Post 602284)
There is nothing more expensive than a "cheap" SVX.

But on the other hand - given the money I've spent on it - I could have bought a beautiful SVX with half the mileage and very little work needed in the first place, and had plenty of cash left over to boot.

To all potential buyers - save yourself the trouble. Spend more money at the start on a well-cared for car, rather than a "bargain" fixer-upper. You'll thank yourself later.

I agree with this as well. This is what I have told some members in the past and they still bought a cheap one and wonder why it cost them so much. :rolleyes: :o

CorSVXette 05-22-2009 05:14 AM

Very well said, Bro!!!!:cool:

dcarrb 05-22-2009 06:30 AM

Well put, Tom. Should be required reading for any potential SVX owner.

Awhile back I posted about averaging costs for my two; I've forgotten the exact numbers but it worked-out to something like $170 per month for the teal and $190 for the silver. This for the initial purchase and everything except gas and insurance. I've put over 50,000 miles on the teal and 16,000 on the silver, and currently drive each about 5,000 miles per year. Real-world driving, no flogging but no pampering. So far, no major repairs. The teal's got a date with the paint booth; both need it.

ANYONE buying one of these cars should expect to spend at least as much; probably way more.

As to the transmissions: The teal could still be on the original, depending upon whether or not the salesman was telling the truth about that undocumented "recent overhaul." Bone stock except for an auxiliary cooler in series and a "campaign" filter. The silver's got 100,000 miles on it's second tranny, no aux cooler, no filter, nothing. Just regular fluid changes for both. Not bad, in my book.

dcb

Landshark 05-22-2009 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX (Post 602257)
We are in the middle of the "young" crowd migration and a lot of older members are less frequent. This not a bad thing,as diversity amongst us is what brings us together. But with it the realization that the cars are losing value becomes aparent as the "young" crowd typically has a lower budget. With that being said please take the next couple points to heart before buying an SVX.

:confused: there's been cheap bastiges on here long before you joined. :lol:

Tim 05-22-2009 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oab_au (Post 602285)
Believe me Subaru has freed up all there is, to get the best out of the engine, the rest takes a lot of money and work.
Not for the pocket money approach.:)

Not to mention for a 92-97 generation 230 HP is a lot for an engine of its size and with natural aspiration. There are very few engines that put out that amount from that generation, and its very close to what new cars are coming out with. Not bad for 17 years. ;)

solarsvx 05-22-2009 07:40 AM

my svx has been incrdibly reliable im not sure just because of the low mileage,

the only maintnence i put into it was a new timming belt and front main engine seal and a battery

for the age of the car its been pretty good

dannmarr 05-22-2009 07:50 AM

I put in over 15K into the car. I still need suspension and a paint job. That should bring me close to the original cost of the vehicle in 1992.:eek:
This car is not for the first time buyer.

Sid E. Ryner 05-22-2009 08:06 AM

thanks Tom.
Like any 12-17 years old car it will need special care.
If you gonna buy an SVX or any used car, buy in good to mint condition.
Cheap now, expensive later!

svxistentialist 05-22-2009 09:27 AM

Thanks Tom.

This is a great thread. I keep telling, warning if you like, potential new owners not to fall in love with the first SVX they see, but to ensure they buy a good cared for vehicle.

Everything Tom said I would endorse, these are the things you must heed or risk spending big bucks when you thought you were home free.

I would even add another, regards ageing rubber. The vacuum pipes get hard and break or leak due to heat and the years, and even the wiring plastics can get brittle under the hood. These things are often the cause of erratic running on cars that are otherwise reliable and faultless when all systems are good.

Well said, dood. We could make this a sticky, bit I am thinking that a link to it in the How-To could be as good or maybe a better solution.

Joe :)

subeman90 05-22-2009 09:55 AM

This is why I have shopped for an SVX for 2+ years. I know I have looked and talked to many people on here. Heck I am sure I have even angered a few in the process (oh well) but I have found that when buying one of these cars the cost/repair factor can be quite mind blowing.

I will also say that owning one of these without a back up car or using an SVX as a daily driver is not such a good idea.

sunvalleyray 05-22-2009 10:27 AM

Tom,

You will never make it in politics for you speak the TRUTH! Great job, thanks for your effort.

Ray

NiftySVX 05-22-2009 10:36 AM

Yeah back in the day when the car's value was still high it was a different crowd, like back in the 90's. People didn't butcher them as much. The main trend in the past several years have been the 5-speed conversions. But, then again, My car was still under factory warranty when I got it so things were obviously way different. And, I am curious, I change my coolant every 2-3 years or 30,000 miles. Are we seeing head gasket problems on cars that have been properly maintained or is it the ones that have been neglected?

PaulDexler 05-22-2009 10:30 PM

I have three cars, all of about the same age. (A 91, a 92, and a 93.) One is an SVX, and it is the one that gives me the most pleasure to drive, even though I bought all three because they are great drivers.

I'm reaching the end of my earning life, and I try to put a little aside each month for maintenance, because deferred maintenance is the biggest car killer. And it's not just us. I read in "Sports Car Market" about people who buy 12 cylinder Ferraris and then get rid of them after a year or so because they are going to need thousands of dollars in maintenance, and spending all that money won't give them any extra bling.

My family is constantly bugging me about "Why don't you just buy one good car and get rid of these three clunkers?" First of all, they're not clunkers. Each one gives me something to enjoy when I drive it. It brings me joy to go out and decide, "which one will I drive today?"The SVX satisfies a desire that came on me when I first saw the first one on the stand at the L.A. Auto Show in January, 1992. I have no payments on them, except when something goes wrong.

Tom, good thoughts. I can't see taking a superbly-designed, rare car, hacking it up to make some sort of hot rod, and then throwing the whole thing away when the project goes bad (as it will.)
OK, I could rant on on this subject for hours, but I won't.
Paul

Mensaf 05-22-2009 11:48 PM

I'm going to agree with you on all points but one; the transmission. Despite my awd not working and the breakband being adjusted (the latter expected over time, and they made it accessable externally for that), I've read countless threads on people replacing their transmissions 2, 3, 4, and one guy even 6 times, and all within an unreasonable amount of time/mileage. I've had plenty of old cars with original auto and manual transmissions that still shifted great and have seen a great deal more abuse (think Trans Am) than most of the aformentioned SVXi ever have, and they haven't blown to bits. Sure, the 4EAT is fine with the 4cyl cars with higher gearing as well, but the only redesign it ever saw when they put it into something with 2 more cylinders and 1000 more pounds was different gearing. They're pretty ****ty. The only saving grace is that Subaru back then was making the transformation (and set the example for) that Hyundai is making now.

The only other complaint I have is the lack of decent OEM struts :P Konis are cooler anyway.

Green1995SVX 05-23-2009 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Landshark (Post 602331)
:confused: there's been cheap bastiges on here long before you joined. :lol:

I was thinking the same thing!

Clydesvx 05-23-2009 02:02 AM

I bought my SVX in 1995 for $12K with a little over 50,000 miles on it. I have put almost that much in it since that time. I think Subaru is still using NISSAN trannys. I guess the 5/6 speed swap is the only real fix.

Mensaf 05-23-2009 02:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clydesvx (Post 602457)
I bought my SVX in 1995 for $12K with a little over 50,000 miles on it. I have put almost that much in it since that time. I think Subaru is still using NISSAN trannys. I guess the 5/6 speed swap is the only real fix.

I am curious as to why the Pathfinders never shared the same problems though.

Clydesvx 05-23-2009 02:05 AM

Maybe we should see if their Transmissions work in the SVX!!

Subix 05-23-2009 02:39 AM

I don't know... I'm more of a computer person than I ever was a car person until I got the SVX. I've learned so much about cars, with much still to learn, I'm sort of thankful in some regards with the experience I've gained. I guess I say that as my repairs thus far haven't been astronomical but even when/if that day comes, I'm sure I'll deal with it because contrary to what some may say, this car 'is' worth it!

(unlike ****ty insurance companies who come up otherwise)

Personally I can say out of the first year of 'me' owning my 17 year old, 179k mile SVX, it has never technically left me stranded, minus the one morning my battery decided to die, which is perfectly acceptable and can happen with any car. It is in the shop getting a good 1500 worth of rear end repairs now.... which is after my last fender bender (or good rear ending), with two cars that look like they aren't even related in the same accident, I drove away from the accident with no issue.... (aside from the obvious lol)

I'm grateful for the opportunity in owning such an awesome car.
I don't need to own a farm worth of them :tongue: but I would love to have a second one someday, issues or not.

Here's to 300k+!!
DO <3!

Mensaf 05-23-2009 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Subix (Post 602461)

(unlike ****ty insurance companies who come up otherwise)

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

RallyBob 05-23-2009 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mensaf (Post 602458)
I am curious as to why the Pathfinders never shared the same problems though.

Nissan Pathfinder automatics fail regularly...you should see the complaints on the forums! The one in my Pathfinder failed at 140k. No warnings...just went 'like that'.

Mensaf 05-23-2009 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RallyBob (Post 602501)
Nissan Pathfinder automatics fail regularly...you should see the complaints on the forums! The one in my Pathfinder failed at 140k. No warnings...just went 'like that'.

Really? We have 2 as of now. One that has around 55k that my mom uses, and the workhorse I used until recently before the reverse gear crapped out. That one has 335k as of now and still moves forward and all, but it's been beat to all hell (ironically, while I was standing still at red lights every time...maybe I should start running reds) and isn't worth fixing. I'm just taking off anything useful for the other one and junking it, but I have no complaints over the past 7 years I've had it.

RallyBob 05-23-2009 12:27 PM

This post outline the common Pathfinder automatic issues, and one possible repair. Generally it's due to heat buildup and lack of maintenance (ATF fluid changes). Note they mention the Subaru as well.

http://npora.ipbhost.com//index.php?...tranny+failure

1986nate 05-23-2009 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mensaf (Post 602448)
I'm going to agree with you on all points but one; the transmission. Despite my awd not working and the breakband being adjusted (the latter expected over time, and they made it accessable externally for that), I've read countless threads on people replacing their transmissions 2, 3, 4, and one guy even 6 times, and all within an unreasonable amount of time/mileage. I've had plenty of old cars with original auto and manual transmissions that still shifted great and have seen a great deal more abuse (think Trans Am) than most of the aformentioned SVXi ever have, and they haven't blown to bits.

A lot of times when people are replacing their transmission in the SVX, they are replacing it with a used one, so if you continue doing that, of course you are going to be replacing it multiple times. The main reason they fail is from heat build up due to the TCU making long, smooth shifts that cause extra wear than necessary and in turn, extra heat.
It seems like if you get a reprogrammed TCU from LAN, buy an external filter, get an aux cooler, and change the trans fluid regularly, there is no reason a 4eat can't last in the SVX. If I remember seeing right, there is someone on here with over 200k still using the same trans it rolled off the assembly line with.

I must say that I have not had to spend much on my SVX since I bought it last September. I have minimal cash flow but I work on as much as I can. I've replaced the ball joints, an exhaust donut when I first got it, and as stated before, my transmission has lost the high clutch so I have just been using it the way it it since Thanksgiving. I will be taking the trans out of my parts car and seeing if that one is good within the next month or so. If it works as it should, great. If not, I'll still have a very reliable city car that I can take on the highway for a few miles if absolutely necessary. It has never not started, never died for no reason on me. Then again, none of the cars I have ever bought have left me stranded or had major issues. I know what to look for in cars and had no problem buying the Pontiac Grand Prix I did even though it had 200,000 miles on it.

Just my 2cents. Put the time into the car and it will give you an awesome car to drive that also gets everyone lookin at you:cool: