The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Lowering front only (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=27066)

94svxred 08-01-2005 07:04 AM

I'm going to call the shop that has done a lot of work for me to see if they will put in the springs! I trust them , so I'll let you know what they said :p I'm getting excited :D . I think I can sneek this one passed my wife ;) . Wish me luck :eek: (If see can't see it ,she won't complain) ;)

overdalimit 08-01-2005 08:14 PM

READ CAREFULLY!.......Don't ever cut a coil spring! Under any circumstances. I won't even get into why not..Just DON'T do it! Buy the lowering springs instead.

94svxred 08-03-2005 03:07 PM

I promise NO CUTTING HERE :p

benebob 08-03-2005 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by overdalimit
READ CAREFULLY!.......Don't ever cut a coil spring! Under any circumstances. I won't even get into why not..Just DON'T do it! Buy the lowering springs instead.

Worked fine for our racer ;) :D . Isn't a long term solution and is something I wouldn't do for a street car b/c of the liability these days but one coil off the front of an SVX is about a 1/2 inch or so stock.

94svxred 08-03-2005 06:19 PM

Well Here's my thought :confused: . If I have take everything apart to cut my springs anyways . I might as well have them replaced with proper lowering springs . Don't you think :D

benebob 08-03-2005 09:28 PM

Up to you. I definately think the amount of coils is beneficial but I also understand the coils have been cut since well the dawn of the coil so I wouldn't be afraid to cut it and use it to "see" if you want that height or another. As for driving like that forever there are issues with cut springs that lowering springs don't have like not as much suspension travel since they will max out.

94svxred 08-06-2005 07:33 AM

My biggest issue is that I don't think a 3/4" drop is the look I'm after! The look I think I want is at LEAST 1" to 1&1/2" drop in front. :rolleyes: What to do and how :confused: ;)too all replies THANK YOU :D ;)

benebob 08-06-2005 07:48 AM

Are you going for a look or better handling etc? Dropping that far probably will screw up your geometery beyond the abilities of most alignment shops to fix it. If you really want the look a WRX spring would work just fine. Probably about a 1 3/4 inch drop.

94svxred 08-06-2005 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benebob
Are you going for a look or better handling etc? Dropping that far probably will screw up your geometery beyond the abilities of most alignment shops to fix it. If you really want the look a WRX spring would work just fine. Probably about a 1 3/4 inch drop.

Do you think an inch drop would really mess with the handling :D :eek: That's what I don't want :(

benebob 08-06-2005 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 94svxred
Do you think an inch drop would really mess with the handling :D :eek: That's what I don't want :(

It can, our front control arms are pointed the wrong direction on our racer at the moment. I'm guessing it is about a 2 inch drop up there. I wouldn't street the car this way but in some ways it helps our camber out a bit.

mbtoloczko 08-06-2005 06:51 PM

A stiffer front spring, an increased roll couple caused by excessively lowering the car, and less travel will probably make the car push even more in the corners. That would likely be the result of dropping the front 1.75". It would look cool though.

TomsSVX 08-06-2005 10:59 PM

If anyone wants a set of front springs to play with if they are thinking of cutting them, I have a set for sale with the rubbers for $50

Tom

benebob 08-07-2005 03:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomssvx
If anyone wants a set of front springs to play with if they are thinking of cutting them, I have a set for sale with the rubbers for $50

Tom

With rubbers. Hee hee!!!

94svxred 08-07-2005 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benebob
With rubbers. Hee hee!!!

Seriously , Don't you think the best way is to buy new springs and try not to Mickey Mouse the stuff. I'd buy new springs but I don't Think 3/4" is enough to get the look I want :confused: . I also don't want the car to drive like a it'd sitting on bricks either :o

benebob 08-07-2005 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 94svxred
Seriously , Don't you think the best way is to buy new springs and try not to Mickey Mouse the stuff. I'd buy new springs but I don't Think 3/4" is enough to get the look I want :confused: . I also don't want the car to drive like a it'd sitting on bricks either :o

Yes new struts is the way to go. You'll loose some ride as you'll need stiffer springs. Personally, I'd get konis while you're at it as we blow our rears more often than W. says terrorism with 198lbs springs in back. I just suggested the cutting to see if you like the look. It will cause alignment issues though which isn't necessarily a bad thing.