The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Reading Meet (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Should we postpone Reading 20? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=65022)

svxcess 03-14-2020 01:10 PM

Should we postpone Reading 20?

POSTPONED

In light of the current health situation in the United States, and the uncertainty of whatever regulations are planned for the immediate future, do you think it is the right decision to postpone Reading until the fall of this year?

There may be travel restrictions by air for those who were planning to fly in.

This gives us enough time to re-evaluate the situation and pick an alternate date, or at worst cancel Reading for this year.

Cotton 03-14-2020 04:02 PM

Re: POLL: Should we postpone Reading 20?

I am close enough that I intend to show up with or without my SVX unless things get profoundly worse but I do think what is going on is going to keep many people away as paranoia is really getting to a lot of people.

newsvx 03-15-2020 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxcess (Post 751871)

In light of the current health situation in the United States, and the uncertainty of whatever regulations are planned for the immediate future, do you think it is the right decision to postpone Reading until the fall of this year?

There may be travel restrictions by air for those who were planning to fly in.

This gives us enough time to re-evaluate the situation and pick an alternate date, or at worst cancel Reading for this year.

Folks, this is serious business. I vote to postpone to the fall. Even churches in my area are not holding services... VA, MD, WV, OH and many other states have closed schools. All the universities in VA (except Liberty, of course) are online only now.

The risk is not worth it. Spring or fall. It matters not. It is all about the people and the cars, not a specific date - that was debunked when deciding April or May.

svxcess 03-15-2020 01:34 AM

Harry, don’t forget to cast your vote on the poll at the top of the page.

SVX_MY_BABY 03-15-2020 02:59 AM

Social distancing is key to stopping the spread of Covid-19. I suggest you postpone.

Below is a very credible, long article.

The highlights of the paper if you do not have time to read it are written below.

Peter

(1) The number of true cases at any one time during the expansion phase is far greater than the official (known) number of cases (and many are present before any cases are identified);

(2) Without effective social distancing or other measures limiting transmission, the rate of new infections grows exponentially; and

(3) Every day counts in the imposition of serious social distancing or even lockdown measures. This may take political courage but will save lives.

One other important point:
In 1918, during the Spanish flu epidemic, Denver imposed social distancing rules, but relaxed them too soon and had a second higher peak as a result. And there are other important lessons from 1918 (and 2020 already too), notably the effect of timing in the introduction of restrictive measures. I hope the link below will work for you (displays well in Chrome, but the figures do not work for me in Internet Explorer).

I believe it is well worth reading, even if you just look at the first few pages. The timeline graph for Wuhan with true cases in grey and known “official” cases in orange is very instructive, in particular the rapid peak and drop-off when the lockdown there was imposed. The analysis for Washington state is also sobering.

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coron...e-f4d3d9cd99ca

newsvx 03-15-2020 03:55 AM

Just a tidbit of info here: The latest CDC report on the "worse case scenario is an estimated death toll from this virus is 200,000 to 1.7 Million deaths ....
Just saying .....

svxcess 03-15-2020 06:54 AM

For those that can get to it, this article details the ways to flatten the curve.

From doing nothing, to quarantining and social distancing. The simple, excellent animations make it completely understandable.

I spent my career as an art director in educational television creating this kind of thing, which adds emphasis and provides clarity to the written word.

Visuals have more of a lasting impact than the written word sometimes.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...wpisrc=nl_most

svxcess 03-16-2020 10:05 AM

Re: Should we postpone reading 20?

In light of the overwhelming and unanimous vote so far on this issue— 7-0, Reading 20 has been indefinitely postponed.

Thank you for your input and responses. The safety and welfare of our members is paramount and we chose wisely to live and party another day.

Ron Mummert 03-16-2020 12:23 PM

And, don't forget the average age demographic of SVX owners probably falls in the danger zone. At least mine does - definitely! ;)

RedLionSVX 03-18-2020 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Mummert (Post 751882)
And, don't forget the average age demographic of SVX owners probably falls in the danger zone. At least mine does - definitely! ;)

LOL! Yep. here too.

wdb 03-18-2020 01:01 PM

I would have voted yes, with a small tear in my eye. But no fever! ;)

LarryIII 03-19-2020 02:19 AM

John,

I think you should be congratulated for making a very difficult decision and I think everyone on this site should applaud you for it.

SubaruPartsGirl 03-19-2020 02:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LarryIII (Post 751889)
John,

I think you should be congratulated for making a very difficult decision and I think everyone on this site should applaud you for it.

Agreed! Better safe than sorry! :)