The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Tires - What would you do? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9820)

ensteele 04-06-2003 12:13 AM

Tires - What would you do?

My 94 SVX had the front end out of alignment and wore the front tires out on the side and side walls. It is now aligned and has been fixed.

Here is the question. The good tires have 5/8s tread out of 10/8s on new ones. For the record, they are Toyo Proxes (225/45 17).

Beav 04-06-2003 12:40 AM

Regardless of whether or not we're talking AWD cars, I always do four on my cars. I like having a matched set, they always seem to drive and ride nicer. Call it personal preference.

Earthworm 04-06-2003 12:59 AM

Definately get all 4. I mean...it's not like you don't have another car to drive in the meantime :)

Boone 04-06-2003 01:05 AM

That's my mantra. Keep the inflation differential and rotate at each o/c. Check the allignment and buy the best. B.

SVXdriver_007 04-06-2003 01:54 AM

I agree go with all four tires things are better that way.

svxistentialist 04-06-2003 08:37 AM

Gimme four, bro'

Earl,

I always go all four. If you keep the two best tyres off the old set, you can run with a full-sized spare, in fact two, you can have right and left.

Also, if you get uneven wear because of pothole-caused misalignment, you have the option of taking off two illegals, and putting on the two good ones you have kept, and the rolling radius will be close enough, taking wear into account.

This all assuming you opt for the same make/model/size tyre.

Joe:)

PS Buying a rim for a full-sized spare is worthwhile. If you go away on a long run, like 500-1000 miles [Reading?], Sod's Law might mean you could be driving high miles in the rain on the silly skinny thing. Just a thought. Anything approaching 300 miles, I load up full size.

ensteele 04-06-2003 09:41 AM

I did this poll because of a lot of comments on not needing to get all 4 at once. My feeling was to get all 4 new tires at once, because of the difference in tread. I am going to do what I first thought. All 4 new ones. Thanks for the feedback. :)

STORMINORMAN 04-06-2003 11:21 AM

OR...

...you could try and find two matching used tires with approximately the same amount of tread left.

I have found that there are quite a few performance tires available in less than a "set of four" quantity. I would guess new replacements in your size (V or Z rated) would be $125+ each (or more)?

A couple of decent used Toyo's @ $50 per would seem to me to be a bargain if you could get 10-15K out of them:cool:

BTW, Toyo makes a very good tire in 16" sizes, the Proxes TPT.

LarryIII 04-06-2003 06:44 PM

I had a set of Toyo T1-S tires in stock size. They were the grippiest street tires that I ever had. They were good in the rain and fair in the snow. I considered them summer tires. they were noisy and lasted about 25-30k miles.

STORMINORMAN 04-07-2003 10:18 AM

TS-1's are, I believe, Toyo's #1 "Ultra...

...High Performance" summer tire, so 25-30K would be pretty good mileage and comperable to others of this ilk, IMHO. A couple of Porsche 911 owners I know swear by them year round here in Oregon (I don't think they drive them much in the snow).

The TPT I was referring to has a 65K treadwear limited warranty and is available in both H & V speed ratings in 205/55-16 & H in 215/55-16. I'll probably be putting a set of these on my wife's 420SEL in 205/65-15 as my neighbor across the street has a net set and says they are the quietest & best tires he's ever had on any car.

Finding a pair of specifically matched used tires can be a problem sometimes, that's for sure!:eek:

svx_commuter 04-07-2003 11:34 AM

If I had to buy 2 new I would get all 4 and remember to rotate'm very other oil change, 7,000 miles. I am not that far behind you in buying all 4 new, again. I got the worn ones on the back for now.

JLittell 04-07-2003 01:43 PM

You can't be out of tires!!!! :confused:

Earl (a.k.a. "Wheels"), Same thing happened to me. The tires on my front were really misalign and worn funny on the outside of the tread. I moved both front tires to the rear, as I moved the rears to the front. I was hoping to go as long as I could until I replaced them. Like you, I would start all over and purchase or put on 4 newer tires. Try the Yokohama avs db "S2" (they are one of the best tires you could slap on the SVX). Keep rotating the tires as often as you get oil changes you should be good to go! I don't know if I could trust any alignment shop to do the SVX. Anyone else have any recommendations? I guess I would trust a Suby dealer.

RSVX 04-07-2003 02:28 PM

Please dear God dont do what I used to and replace 2 @ a time. I always would keep the new ones on the front and recently it ended up costing me just over $900 to fix my transfer clutches n stuff...

ensteele 04-07-2003 02:28 PM

That is who did mine. I took it to a local suby shop and they did a good job on it. The previous owner had it done twice and was not happy with the joby that they did. Well, I don't think that they did the front at all because the suby shop had a horrible time breaking the tie rods loose. They said that they didn't think that it had ever been done.

Unfortunately, the tires were already down to the belts, so I can not run them at all. I have the stock wheels and tires that I bought from him on it now. This will get me by until I can get all 4 new tires. (225/45 17) I don't think I can get Yokohamas that size. :(

JLittell 04-07-2003 04:27 PM

Nope can't get Yoko S2 in a 17". I wish I could!