The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Got a call from someone asking if I needed parts today... (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=52759)

Elliott 01-07-2010 06:29 PM

Got a call from someone asking if I needed parts today...

We have a friend who is a Subaru tech specializing in the older cars, he gave the shop number to someone looking to part out an SVX in case I needed anything. My boss was talking to him, let him know I wasn't specifically looking for anything and asked why it was being parted out. He is putting the engine into his Vanagon, which is a waste to begin with. Then he mentioned that it was a 1993 Anniversary Edition with 113k miles, it runs and drives and has a good body and interior. I haven't seen the car, but it sounds like it might be worth saving.

I'm posting this because he hasn't cut it up yet, he might be able to be talked out of cutting it up if he can sell it and get an engine and harness from another, less desirable one. Not something I would be interested in, but is anyone here interested? I could relay contact details to him.

EDIT: I believe he would only need the underhood harness, the part that goes through the firewall and under the dash can come from my parts car if needed.

Elliott 04-25-2010 05:04 PM

Re: Got a call from someone asking if I needed parts today...

Well, here it is if anyone wants what is left:
http://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/1708068971.html

lhopp77 04-25-2010 05:12 PM

Dangit--wish I was close enough to check it out to see if its worth it and of course to transport it. If a good southern car in great shape it would be to perfect place to put my new engine and other new parts. :mad:

I would have a hard time keeping my mouth shut though about parting an extremely rare car for a vanagon. :mad:

Lee

Elliott 04-25-2010 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lhopp77 (Post 644559)
Dangit--wish I was close enough to check it out to see if its worth it and of course to transport it. If a good southern car in great shape it would be to perfect place to put my new engine and other new parts. :mad:

It is 10 minutes from me, if you are interested I can take a lot of pictures for you. As far as I know it is a true southern car, no rust anywhere, just like mine.
Quote:

Originally Posted by lhopp77 (Post 644559)
I would have a hard time keeping my mouth shut though about parting an extremely rare car for a vanagon. :mad:

He talked to my boss yesterday on the phone, my boss pretty much called him an idiot. He said the engine is in a Synchro, which he said was rare, my boss said "Congratulations on ruining two rare vehicles at once."

Green1995SVX 04-25-2010 05:30 PM

Oh the humanity.

SilverSpear 04-25-2010 11:43 PM

What a shame, really... A perfectly good SVX, now ruined.

And the wheels are correct :(

ensteele 04-26-2010 12:05 AM

I was in contact with him about the VIN, but he never sent it to me like he said that he would. I also offered to help sell it. :( If it is possible, please get the VIN for me. Thanks

Elliott 04-26-2010 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ensteele (Post 644625)
I was in contact with him about the VIN, but he never sent it to me like he said that he would. I also offered to help sell it. :( If it is possible, please get the VIN for me. Thanks

The guy is pretty dense, he swore up and down that he did not call the shop before in January about this car, that it must have been someone else parting out a '93 Anniversary Edition to put the engine into a VW Vanagon, I guess because they are so common in this area :rolleyes:

I'll give him a call tomorrow and see if I can meet him sometime this week, I'll get the VIN and detailed pictures of the car. Sounds like it is very much worth saving, even at this point, I just hope he was fairly gentle with the engine removal.

Also, I believe he told my boss that he would take $600 for the car.

1986nate 04-26-2010 01:25 AM

10 characters

ensteele 04-26-2010 07:58 AM

He is a donkey! :mad:

Freeman 04-26-2010 09:03 AM

An svx for $600 is a great deal, just wish I had an engine and harness lying around. I hate when this happens. Vanagon's are ugly as hell in the first place.

gbianchi 04-26-2010 09:49 AM

One hand gives him a pat on the back for taking on the project, the other hand wants to slap the crap out of him, maybe the engine will revolt and grenade the first week, oh well live and let live, but gosh what a waste. I would buy whats left of that car and park it in my yard to class up the place!!........G

MadMaxSvx 04-26-2010 06:21 PM

I hate that.. someone here did that to make a buggy! :mad:

1986nate 04-30-2010 07:05 PM

Any updates? Just curious to see more pics, especially of the interior.:)

Elliott 05-01-2010 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1986nate (Post 645296)
Any updates? Just curious to see more pics, especially of the interior.:)

I haven't had time yet, I'll see if I can meet him this weekend.