The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   tranny question (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=51240)

dennyo 08-09-2009 05:26 PM

tranny question

if i'm waiting at a light or even just pulling away from my driveway with the car in either D or 3 it seems to shift somewhat abruptly and seems almost as if it's to soon, but all the other upshifts are smooth. it won't do this on hard acceleration. is this the infamous sol. c? tps out of spec? fluid/filter was changed 5k miles ago no leaks and it doesn't do this if i press the manual button.no other symptoms i can feel.anyone care to take a guess? thanks. dennis

longassname 08-10-2009 01:42 AM

Re: tranny question

Hello Dennis,

It's hard to be sure from your description but that sounds like typical US SVX behavior. The 1 to 2 shift at low to moderate throttle is annoyingly early. This can be corrected with modified shift maps. You may want to take a look at my TCUs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dennyo (Post 613046)
if i'm waiting at a light or even just pulling away from my driveway with the car in either D or 3 it seems to shift somewhat abruptly and seems almost as if it's to soon, but all the other upshifts are smooth. it won't do this on hard acceleration. is this the infamous sol. c? tps out of spec? fluid/filter was changed 5k miles ago no leaks and it doesn't do this if i press the manual button.no other symptoms i can feel.anyone care to take a guess? thanks. dennis

dennyo 08-11-2009 07:28 PM

thanks lan. your right it seems early and a little abrupt it's good to know that it's normal. i will probably swap it out for a 5speed if and when it dies. dennis

longassname 08-11-2009 07:30 PM

it's not a transmission problem..from the sounds of it...they just have crappy shift maps from the factory. A performance tcu will fix it right up.

dennyo 08-11-2009 07:35 PM

is this tcu a plug and play or something best left to pros?

longassname 08-11-2009 07:45 PM

tcu = transmission control unit

it's plug and play...plug in the new one and send your stock one back to me.
link is in my signature

dennyo 08-11-2009 07:53 PM

got it. couple hours work? also,is a cooler a good idea for a 96?

longassname 08-11-2009 09:40 PM

it's a requirement for all svx's. You should disconnect the atf cooler in the radiator and use a high capacity aftermarket cooler. Preferably a plate and fin cooler mounted in the drivers fender with it's own fan and thermostatically controlled relay with an inlet vent cut in the bottom of the plastic fender liner and an outlet cut in the top of the plastic fenderliner in the wheel well (the holes can be easily cut with a razor knife and many coolers come with brackets--if not they can be easily fabricated--they also often come with hose and hose clamps.)