The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Bike Rack; pics finally here (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=12545)

SVX ROO 08-10-2003 03:05 PM

Bike Rack; pics finally here

I have been able to fit a Saris Bones 2 bike rack to my SVX. As stated in my earlier post, I would not recommend it if you have a prisitine car. It is OK on my '92 Pearle but I would not put it on my '94 Bordeaux. You may be subject to a little belt chaffing or as this dummy did on his return from Cape May, had one brake lever put a few small (already repaired) gouges in the spoiler. The latter problem is not the fault of the rack, fault of the user.

The Bones is adjustable with splines shaft and supports. I found a combination that worked for the first trip but would adjust one spline on my next trip. Two rubber pads mount on license plate depression and one on top of trunk lid just below the glass, with two straps and hooks on either side of it. I added some foam pipe insulation to the top two straps and to the top support. I had no chaffing. Two more straps catch the left and right corner of trunk lid; the hooks are plastic coated and left no marks. Two more hooks catch on the rear tow hooks; they liked coming undone but are not critical.

Be sure to clean you car and the pads mefore mounting!! Pads to not scratch but dirt does.

Result was a stable mount for our two bikes and no damage except as noted above.

I hope pics tell the story better. Sorry pics have so much contrast but the morning sun was shining thru our trees.

I you want to carry your bikes along and your SVX already has a few nicks here and there, than I would buy this rack. About $110 at a bike shop; I did not price on line.
Ken
p.s. I tried to post two pics but apparently site only allows one attachement. If you want a pic with bikes on the rack, send an email to me.

SVX ROO 08-10-2003 03:09 PM

here is the pic

1 Attachment(s)
pic got deleted when I previewed the post. Webmaster??!!

ensteele 08-10-2003 04:21 PM

I have found out that an attachment will eliminate the attached file sometimes.

If you want to show 2 pictures, just reply to your post and attach the next picture. It would be nice to see what it looks like with the bikes on it. Thanks :)

LarryIII 08-10-2003 05:56 PM

Ken,

What's the cat's name and did he help with the installation of the bike rack?
:D :D

SVX ROO 08-10-2003 06:33 PM

Pic with bikes

1 Attachment(s)
Earl
As requested..... It looks clumsey but drove at 70+ mph down the GSP and was very stable.
Ken

LarryIII 08-11-2003 04:45 AM

Ken,

You must indeed have a 'lead foot' to be able to get it all the way up to 70 MPH between toll booths on the Garden State Parkway.:D :D :D

ed_3777 08-11-2003 01:21 PM

Another way to go for racks on the SVX is to get the Yakima rack permanently mounted to your car using a pop-rivet system. I know that is a big no-no to some people, but with the 2 rails mounted to the car, I can put the whole range of Yakima roof products up there with no hassles. When I'm not using the rack, everything can come off except for the 2 rails which are not obtrussive at all as they are only about 1/4 inch high.
Install was done by Sportrack USA 3 years ago and has been great.

SVX ROO 08-11-2003 08:05 PM

GSP

Larry III
Only got to 70 mph after passing the Ocean City wrecks, open road for 5+ miles.
KB

CONSUME 08-12-2003 02:38 PM

Just a bit of advise...I worked at a bike shop through college. I would suggest putting the bottom strap under the trunk not under the bumper. It is designed so you can get into the trunk with the bikes off. The way you have it you have to unstrap it.
RoadGear makes a bike rack about the same. The bikes really can't hit the car the way it is designed. If someone wanted more protection they would have to get the tow hitch /style which keeps the bikes very far away from the paintjob.
Looks good...1 more thing these style bikeracks are great on outbacks too. I just came back from Vacation way out East end of L.I. :they worked great. 80 mph no prob with a very heavy antique bike on it.

Pearlywhites1992 08-12-2003 07:03 PM

"If someone wanted more protection they would have to get the tow hitch /style which keeps the bikes very far away from the paintjob."
First of all, hello to all of those SVX owners that bike!
(and even those of you don't, but remember me)
I got online tonite strictly to find info about a trunk rack to fit
my car, had to get a new password and everything! So I knew
I could count on you guys! Anyway, a trailer hitch/ ball wasn't an
option on our car, though I saw pictures of an Australian owner's
self-welded one! (I think for his jet-ski)
I will order the Saris rack tomorrow, for my Santa Cruz Bullitt
with a big fork that is too big a pain to load in the car any longer!
BTW, I just returned from riding The North Shore in Vancouver.....
Yee-Haw!
Tim '92 Pearly (duh!) 138K Super-car, Sweet-looking aftermarket rims!
:D

CONSUME 08-12-2003 09:48 PM

Ya adding the tow hitch is something ya gota get done if ya want that style bike rack, but then you can put your cooler out back for a grand old fishin' trip too!!!!:)

LarryIII 08-13-2003 04:25 AM

Tim (Pearlywhites),

Welcome back, I hope everything is OK with you and yours.

CigarJohnny 08-13-2003 06:38 AM

Welcome Back!

Quote:

Tim '92 Pearly (duh!) 138K Super-car, Sweet-looking aftermarket rims!
What? And not a single pic in your locker. Shame on you! ;)

Pearlywhites1992 08-14-2003 04:49 AM

Two rubber pads mount on license plate depression and one on top of trunk lid just be

Yesterday I purchased a Saris #3 rack, which offers a little
more stability, and by flipping it upside down, I was able to
to get the two bottom supports an either side of the license
plate. This rack I believe also has two upper supports, instead of one, and after buying additional "hatchback" type straps that
go inside the car, and then are tightened, this rack is solid!
Thanks again for posting about trunk racks.....I didn't want a
permanent roof rack either.....
Tim