The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Omg Im losing all of my oil.... (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=44422)

mysvxrocks 04-22-2008 12:35 AM

Omg Im losing all of my oil....

Can someone tell me what is leaking? I lost this much oil over night. Could it be the valve covers? They are really dirty. Patrick, can you give me some insight please? Since you know the car best..

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a36...002000/2_2.jpg
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a36...002000/2_3.jpg

nextse7en 04-22-2008 08:31 AM

That does look like valve covers, but it is hard to tell from oil on the ground. Has the oil been changed lately? Did you switch to a synthetic?

I've been planning an engine reseal "party" for a while now, maybe its time to get that plan in motion. That tritone I just bought needs a reseal too, at the very least.

It might be a good time to scrounge up your pennies and pick up some valve cover gaskets. If you would like to head down here after I am done moving, we could co-ordinate with hondasucks (he's a scuby tech near here) and get the motor pulled and sealed. (Assuming he has time.)

There is another member in town that I haven't heard from in a while who wanted a reseal too, Could be fun to have three engines out at the same time. (if you have a twisted sense of fun)

lhopp77 04-22-2008 09:13 AM

Doubt?

When in doubt where it is coming from--clean the engine thoroughly and then look for the leaks. Much easier to tell starting with a clean engine. :)

Lee

mysvxrocks 04-22-2008 06:16 PM

I would be up to that. We should get on that asap, as that oil was leaked out in one night. Im working on the interior at the moment, which wont be done till about next week more than likely. At least... lol. But after that, I would be up for it for sure. My power steering is leaking as well, thats the other liquid on the floor. I already changed the oring on that, its comming from the hose itself. So I might need a new hose, not sure.

ON ANOTHER NOTE

Does anyone know how to take out the lighter assembly? :p

GreenMarine 04-22-2008 06:26 PM

Have you checked the rear main seal? I know mine is leaking...

~ Chris

mysvxrocks 04-22-2008 11:50 PM

Which one is that? Sorry, Im a noob :lol:

GreenMarine 04-23-2008 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mysvxrocks (Post 543617)
Which one is that? Sorry, Im a noob :lol:

The rear main bearing seal is the seal at the very back of the Crankshaft... It's the point of alot of bad oil leaks... Mine is leaking at the moment but I don't have the time or tools to pull the tranny and do the seal, nor do I have the $$$ to take it to Subaru to have it done... So for the time being I just check my oil often and carry an extra quart of oil in the trunk...

~ Chris

mysvxrocks 04-23-2008 03:15 PM

Hmm, Im not sure what ones are leaking. I wish there was someone close who could take a look at it and tell me. Like you, I dont have the money to take it to Subaru. It would be nice to pull the engine out to do the seals, but again, I dont know how to do it, nor do I have the equiptment needed for the pull. So for now, Im letting the car sit at my parents, and Im driving my old (2006) focus. If I dont get it sealed by May, it looks like Im going to have to miss out on the drive :(

EDIT: To answer your question Patrick, no I havent changed the oil yet. Its the same stuff thats been in there since you had the car.

OrangeOkie 04-23-2008 04:33 PM

You should be able to find a bottle of rear main bearing stop leak at the local "magic in a bottle" shop (NAPA, Auto Zone, O'Reilly's, etc):p

poweredx2 04-24-2008 12:17 PM

Like someone said soak the engine with a good cleaner,wipe down everything and drive the car hard and park it on some ramps,check your exhaust manifolds,tranny pan all thoses could point to valve covers are a rear main seal just don't panic.Also after at least an hour look or check the bottom of your timing belt cover,front seals may be leaking also.

mysvxrocks 04-24-2008 12:24 PM

Jesus, I really dont know what I will be looking for... I am so confused with all this stuff. I can do some work, but when it comes to pulling the engine apart I just :tard:

mysvxrocks 04-26-2008 10:05 PM

Alright, so I got home today, and moved the car out. There is now a puddle about the size of my entire engine under the car. Who should I take my car to inorder to get it resealed. I cant do this myself, and I cant afford to wait much longer. If I were to get the valve covers, and the rear main seal done, about how much would I be looking at spending?

nextse7en 04-27-2008 02:08 AM

I'll do it for the cost of the gaskets, but you would have to leave it with me for a bit (week or two). I'll make some space in the garage if that sounds good to you.

-Patrick

mysvxrocks 04-27-2008 02:25 AM

I can ask my parents about it. Im not even sure what seals I would need. As I said, I dont know what specifically to be looking for. Some people say to clean it now to see where its leaking from... but at the rate its leaking, Im afraid if I do that, Ill lose all my oil in a day, lol. I wasnt joking when I said the puddle was the size of the engine. It seems to be comming from the drivers side more than the passengers side, if that helps any. I tried calling you today to ask of good NW shops, but your mail box was full :p . It would be a huge help if you could do that for me, and I would get you something in return for the help, but the drive down there would be... interesting. I drove it around town today to recharge the battery, (I drained it) and when I parked, I got a nice bit of smoke from the oil burning off. More than likely its just on the exhaust, but again, Im not sure. If you could give me a call tomorrow around noon or so, we could talk about it. I just got out of school for a bit, so I have some down time where I dont really need the car. Thanks -Dennis

nextse7en 04-27-2008 09:09 AM

I'm sure the burn off is the exhaust, but I'm not sure which gasket it is, either. It might be a good idea to take it to smart service up there near you (I've heard raves about thier skills) and make sure it isn't something simple.

Let me know, my voice mailbox is full because my phone kicked the bucket, I'll check my PMs here throughout the day.

-Patrick