The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   SUBYDOO Needs New Shoes (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=45449)

LarryIII 07-10-2008 05:18 AM

SUBYDOO Needs New Shoes

In the fall (Oct.-Nov.) I will be buying new tires (4) for SUBYDOO. I usually buy tires in the Tire Rack category called 'Ultra High Performance All-Season' I have been on the Tire Rack web site and looked at all the tires in this category. I reviewed everything, did a technical/cost evaluation and originally decided that I was going to get the Yokohama Advan S4 tires. They finished a close second in the evaluation to the Bridgestone Potenza RE-960AS Pole Position tires. Tire Rack lists the Bridgestones at $143/ea. and the Yokos at $131/ea. Add another $20 per tire for mounting, balancing, etc. That means the Bridgestones will be ~$652 installed and the Yokos will be ~$604 installed. In April I had SVXY outfitted with 4 TOYO Proxes-4 tires for $444. So far, my impressions of the TOYOs are good, but I think that the sidewalls are just a bit too soft.

Since SUBYDOO is almost a garage queen ( garage princess?)I did not want to spend $600 for tires. I want to spent around ~$400-$450, plus I do not want another set of TOYOS. I also do not want the Continental Conti Extreme Contact tires because of manufacturing quality control issues that they still seem to have. Furthermore, I eliminated the Pirelli P-Zero Nero M&S because they are now manufactured in the Phillipines and they are not as good anymore. One of the guys at work said he loves the Kumho Ecsta ASX that he put on his old BMW 735i. He used to have Michelin Pilot Sport tires on his car and that the Kuhmos are almost as good and a lot less expensive. I reran my evaluation with the Kuhmos and they came in at the #5 spot. They are ~$98/ea installed, have a good warranty. With the savings I can buy the road hazard warranty.

If anyone here has these particular Kuhmo tires on an SVX, please post your evaluation of them, both good and bad. Please only respond if you have these tires.

Thanks everyone. I appoogize for the long-winded post.

Landshark 07-10-2008 07:30 AM

Re: SUBYDOO Needs New Shoes

i just got some Kumho Ecsta's recently. i can't really comment on them too much, because i had been riding on snow tires until last month, so anything would have been an improvement. :lol: i also got a screaming good deal on a wheel/tire package.

no problems or issues to report, though - they seem like good tires to me. i will test them in the "school zone drags" soon. :D

SilverSpear 07-10-2008 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Landshark (Post 555697)
i just got some Kumho Ecsta's recently. i can't really comment on them too much, because i had been riding on snow tires until last month, so anything would have been an improvement. :lol: i also got a screaming good deal on a wheel/tire package.

no problems or issues to report, though - they seem like good tires to me. i will test them in the "school zone drags" soon. :D

looooooool I was reading Larry's post and thinking about the Kumho Ecsta's since I went this weekend to Dubai and installed them on my Z.
245/45/18's in the back (alone) costed me 1000Dhs installed (about $270)

But if your SVX is always garage kept, why would you want to install high end tyres? Just get the cheapest there is then... :confused:

LarryIII 07-10-2008 10:14 AM

Silver Spear,

I always try to put the best tires that I can afford on all our cars.
There is approximately on 16 -40 square inches of rubber connecting you to the ground. First, I want the car (and me) to stay on the ground and I want the car (and me) to go where I am steering toward in dry, wet, and light snow conditions.

Tim 07-10-2008 11:57 AM

Speaking from my own experience I have nothing but good things to say about my ContiExtreme Contacts. They are about 2-3 years old with approximately 25,000 miles on them with no issues.

Hocrest 07-10-2008 12:26 PM

Larry, I have the ASX's on my SVX. I bought them because they were cheap, but I will definately buy them again. I probably only have 5,000 miles, but they have seen heavy rain and light to medium snow. If I was going to rely on my SVX as my winter car, I'd get dedicated snows for it, but for occasional winter use you should be happy with them.

I'd love to comment on road noise, but with my rear wheel bearing, I can't give an accurate review on that.

Landshark 07-10-2008 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim (Post 555730)
Speaking from my own experience I have nothing but good things to say about my ContiExtreme Contacts. They are about 2-3 years old with approximately 25,000 miles on them with no issues.

we had them on our WRX, and was pleased with them. i thought they were pretty good tires, especially compared to the stock RE-92's! :lol:

shelfy 07-10-2008 01:00 PM

avoid the yokohomo avs es100 or something like that. they handle well, but at only 25000 miles or so, they're not much more than racing slicks. crazy previous owners. :(

PaulDexler 07-10-2008 01:53 PM

I have Kumhos on my Pearlie. I've had them on some other cars, they ride slightly harshly, but grip quite well. They were on the car when I got it last year, and it looks as if I'll be replacing them, when I do, for age and stiffness, rather than wear. I have had quotes from The Tire Rack which say both they and the vehicle manufacturers do not recommend running tires for more than six years on a vehicle, even if the tread is still good.
Just my 2cents worth.
Paul

Tim 07-10-2008 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shelfy (Post 555738)
avoid the yokohomo avs es100 or something like that. they handle well, but at only 25000 miles or so, they're not much more than racing slicks. crazy previous owners. :(

I had 2 sets of yokohamas also: The Avid V4 and some other from when I bought the car. Both tires start to make howling noises towards the end of their life that can be construed as a bad bearing.

benebob 07-10-2008 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shelfy (Post 555738)

25k, that's good life for a performance tire. I'm hoping to put 10k onto my RE050as. Get about 200 miles out of a set of Dot legal slicks.:D

immortal_suby 07-10-2008 07:48 PM

Larry, I had the ecsta asx on the wife's svx for a while. I put about 5k on them before we sold the car to my dad. They were a good tire for the price. I would not put them in the ultra high performance category though. They performed well in snow and rain and had decent dry grip but they were not very stiff in the sidewall and not a sport performance tire. They are not even in the same league as the 960's or the pilot sports. Kumho makes a good tire for the price but the asx will not make you smile on your favorite on-ramp.

Have you looked at the michelin pilot exalto PE2? In any event if you go with michelin's I can mail you a friends and family rebate form for $60 off a set of 4.

redlightningsvx 07-10-2008 07:48 PM

I have fusion tires on mine for about 15,000 miles so far an still have a good bit of tred left and they were about 80-90$ a tire.

It's Just Eric 07-10-2008 09:48 PM

I have the kuhmo ecsta asx tires on my black car. Stock size, ect. They ride smooth and quiet,which I suppose can be attributed to a softer sidewall, but they grip great on dry pavement, and work well in the rain. I cant comment on snow proformance...because south jersey doent get this snow stuff I keep hearing about. Definitely a good tire for the money, but I wouldnt go saying its the best of the best

kwren 07-11-2008 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by immortal_suby (Post 555759)
Have you looked at the michelin pilot exalto PE2? In any event if you go with michelin's I can mail you a friends and family rebate form for $60 off a set of 4.

Tires are a matter of life and death! I have michelin pilot exalto PE2 on my car and love them. Do a lot of fw driving and they are great in the rain and do well in snow as well. But, hey, we do have SVX's:lol:

Costco routinely gives $60 rebates and tire rack will match this. Ask them...

Keith:)