The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Oxygen Sensors - Quick Question (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=51556)

Sean486 09-07-2009 09:25 AM

Oxygen Sensors - Quick Question

Last time my car was put on the select monitor, it was reading that the right side of the engine was running rich and it was suggested that it might be time to replace the Oxygen Sensors (although it is not throwing a code).
My question is should I change both Oxygen Sensors or just the right one.

Also, from what I can tell it looks like a pretty simple installation, but before I attempt it, is there anything tricky that I should be aware of. My skills somewhat basic. I will be using the Bosch ones.

redlightningsvx 09-07-2009 12:42 PM

Re: Oxygen Sensors - Quick Question

Mine got stripped in the thread of the exhaust and I had to melt them out. I used Denso O2 sensors and they work well. As for changing them I would do both.

trophy956 09-07-2009 12:54 PM

hi if you dont have a code leave it alone,the sensor reads what the engine is doing ,and feeds back to the computer ,try to find why the right bank is rich
like a leaking injector ,even following the the flow chart for o2 sensors
if it has a signal its working ,you dont say that the engine is running badly
since 92 ive only put a hand full of o2 s in svx s ,even mine with 167k still has the original set in

Sean486 09-07-2009 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trophy956 (Post 616622)
hi if you dont have a code leave it alone,the sensor reads what the engine is doing ,and feeds back to the computer ,try to find why the right bank is rich
like a leaking injector ,even following the the flow chart for o2 sensors
if it has a signal its working ,you dont say that the engine is running badly
since 92 ive only put a hand full of o2 s in svx s ,even mine with 167k still has the original set in

Ok, I guess I'll have to rethink that. The engine seems to be running well, just rich on the one side according to the monitor, but nothing I noticed on my own. Guess I'll take it to be looked at some point.:confused:

SoCal LS-L 09-07-2009 04:10 PM

If youre OBD-I its unlikely a moderately failing sensor will throw a code anyways, but theres a few reasons one bank could be shown to be running rich, one of which is a faulty O2 sensor reading.

If you do end up replacing it, I would really recommend spraying the thread connection generously with quality penetrating oil a few times..... as far ahead as you can, at least a day before. Threaded connections on exhaust are a PITA if you dont let them soak beforehand.