The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   oh god my trans!!! (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=25580)

crotchrocketony 04-15-2005 10:29 AM

oh god my trans!!!

Hey guys I have a trans issue big time. I was trying to get up my driveway in my 1993 svx awd (66k..low miles!)) (hill) in the snow and I kinda got stuck... I was shifting the car from drive to reverse. one time I put it in revers and it made a bang noise....but it was fine ( so i thought) when i pushed in the gas. but when I put it in drive it was binding. I went to drive it to work and put it up on the lift to take a look. when driving, it drove ok in drive but would not down shift and was bogging when starting out.reverse is the only gear that is normal. when up on my lift at work it drove ok but when I would shift it into 1st it would bind so bad it would lock the wheels. almost a if it was in 1st and reverse at the same time.... I am in a stump and would like some help if there is some out there.

Tony

TomsSVX 04-15-2005 11:59 AM

um........... wow this is weird. What does that dash read when you select gears? is it normal? I have no clue as to what this could be.

Tom

crotchrocketony 04-15-2005 03:11 PM

it is normal wen you switch gears

Mr. Pockets 04-15-2005 04:31 PM

Those lights are probably just tied to the gear selector switch on the side of the tranny. I doubt they could tell you anything besides what you have selected with the lever.

Were you rushing the tranny? I mean, when you selected D or R, did you wait until it had clearly shifted, or did you gun it and shock the tranny when it finally did shift?

Sorry to be the one to say it, but I think you probably damaged something.

oab_au 04-17-2005 05:54 PM

Big bang theory.

I am glad Mr Pockets said it, I hate saying it. :(
It looks like you have damaged the reverse clutch, and it is staying in the applied position. That's why it works in reverse, but when the forward clutch is applied in D, the box is trying to do both together.
Sorry but I think it is terminal.

Harvey. ;)

Earthworm 04-18-2005 05:13 PM

Yeah, what they said. Don't eliminate the differentials as well.

Now you weren't rocking the car were you?...cuz that would be bad, m'kay.

Electrophil 04-18-2005 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Earthworm
cuz that would be bad, m'kay.

:D :D 10 characters :D :D

crotchrocketony 04-22-2005 06:17 PM

ell here is what i got I pulled the trans wensday night a found one of the reverse clutches seized. The drum for the brake band is a bit toasted looking but the band id good so im guessing it started to get over heated from the clutch problem. Im going to throw some reverse clutches in ti and a new brake band and the drum and seal her back up and see what happens. does anyone know a good company for after market trans parts? also is there anything I can do with the trans open to beef it up?

Tony