The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   OT Finally back at work! (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4541)

nvrmore100 06-15-2002 04:14 PM

OT Finally back at work!

Well after nearly 8 months of not having a steady, paying enough position, I am finally back in the workforce. Started last monday, and am glad as hell to be back at work.

Now with my first check, I can finally go buy those much needed window wipers. :D

Aredubjay 06-15-2002 06:57 PM

Congrats, Nvrmore. Most of us have been in that boat and can totally empathize. Live long and prosper. :D

LarryIII 06-15-2002 07:59 PM

Nevermore,

Glad you're back at work. Please be careful with the fires.

Larry III

Jamsvx 06-16-2002 05:37 AM

Congratulations!! I can empathise...my contract is coming to an end and still nothing to replace it....so excellent to hear of your good news!!!

James

1994SubaruSVX 06-17-2002 01:06 PM

jesus 8 months!!!

i have a truckload of respect for you my friend. glad you made it back.:)

Chris 06-18-2002 08:09 AM

I never anounced it

but after 16 months of unemployment (and no unemployment checks to draw from) I finally broke down and took a job outside my field. Its true. Your SVX administrator has not been availible much due to a graveyard shift of night watchman. The bills started to rack up something fierce and the measly $7.50 an hour started to sound like a nesessity. It seems I am such a good security guard, I might even get a raise soon to $8 an hour. The only REAL good news here is that with my first check at the end of the month, pays my LAST loan payment on my car. :D Yea!

The other semi-fun thing is when I walk into a computer room and ask the tech what he is doing. When he replies with stupid answers thinking a measly cheap paid security guard would not have a clue about, and I correct him on his Cisco routing tables and point out the problems why his VOIP card in a Cisco 4000 series router doesnt work..... The look is beyond priceless. Its kinda like the look you would have if a bum walked up to you and explained the molecular structure of a 60 carbon atom Bucky Ball and how it can be used as a super-conducter at low tempuratures if mixed with potassium. Sorry.. got carried away there.

anyways, will network for food!

nvrmore100 06-18-2002 09:03 AM

Heh yep that was me as well. However I was over at the local Pizza Hut doing deliveries. :rolleyes:

However, things will change. Tech jobs are hard to find still, and I just happened to get lucky here as I know someone that works here. Managed to get my foot in the door before the other 400 applicants that applied for the job.

Good luck Chris!

Chris 06-20-2002 02:51 AM

Pizza thing

Yea.. I was doing the pizza thing as well, but with 160K miles and no money to maintain the car, I drove it right into the ground fast. Thats what caused me to have to pull the motor and replace seals and such. I descided not to follow that abusive route when I fixed my car, even though it meant no income. My milage even dropped down to 14MPG for a while. At least now I do all highway miles and it doesnt seem to be so hard on my car. Plus my milage went back up to 24-26MPG!

Thanks

svxistentialist 06-21-2002 03:22 AM

A-men

Quote:

Originally posted by LarryIII
Nevermore,

Glad you're back at work. Please be careful with the fires.

Larry III

And don't send any Colorado women angry or abusive letters!!!

Joe:rolleyes:

svxistentialist 06-21-2002 03:37 AM

Re: Pizza thing

Quote:

Originally posted by Chris
Yea.. I was doing the pizza thing as well, but with 160K miles and no money to maintain the car, I drove it right into the ground fast. Thats what caused me to have to pull the motor and replace seals and such. I descided not to follow that abusive route when I fixed my car, even though it meant no income. My milage even dropped down to 14MPG for a while. At least now I do all highway miles and it doesnt seem to be so hard on my car. Plus my milage went back up to 24-26MPG!

Thanks

Chris, real pleased to hear you are employed. We are lucky here in Ireland, unemployment running at 4%, economy fairly buoyant. I am getting the vibe, from yourself, from Eddycat, from others, that decent jobs are hard to hit on over there.

I am also amazed that someone with your ability can not get a decent job networking. Where is Idaho? Undiscovered territory?

Keep your chin up and your pecker up. My best advice to you is stop looking for a job in the "marketplace" if the market is too crowded. Do networking of the human variety. Make it your business to get closer to people in management of ANY kind in the sort of companies you want to work. If these people are already happy with you as a person, they will refer you up the chain, and to the right people in technical management.

Stop broadcasting CV's, start thinking in a strategic fashion.

Joe

LarryIII 06-21-2002 05:00 AM

Joe,

Idaho is where the other kind of potatoes come from.

Larry III

nvrmore100 06-21-2002 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by LarryIII
Joe,

Idaho is where the other kind of potatoes come from.

Larry III

Hehe

svxistentialist 06-21-2002 12:42 PM

Taters

And I suppose the Idaho police are called chips too??

Joe:) :D

Chris 06-21-2002 06:51 PM

Re: Taters

Quote:

Originally posted by svxistentialist
And I suppose the Idaho police are called chips too??

Joe:) :D

Bad.... Very bad:p

northernkanuck 06-29-2002 12:59 AM

Glad to hear both of you are back in the workforce, I know it can be tough at times. I purchased a new business this year and have had to work full time at that while working the night shift on weekends at my old job to make ends meet. I am finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel and recently signed up with pay pal so I can finally make my donation to the network. Hope everything works out for both of you.

Keith