The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   travelling belt finally has stopped (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50350)

w261w261 05-22-2009 09:42 AM

travelling belt finally has stopped

I have downloaded 3 PDF files which I hope can diagnose the problem, but since I am not familiar with the car at all, it will probably be a steep learning curve, so I am tossing this out in the hopes that the solution might "probably" be ______.

The driver's traveler belt has gone dead. Prior to its demise, it would always work when the car was running, I assumed this meant when the voltage was high enough to get past some resistance in a connection, or something like that. Occasionally, when the car was shut off and the door opened, the belt would retract, but only about half the time. Gradually, the belt's ability to retract after the car was turned off lessened, and now it's kaput.

Any educated guesses? Thx.

NiftySVX 05-22-2009 10:40 AM

Re: travelling belt finally has stopped

Should be a fairly straightforward diagnosis. There was a belt control ecu on the cars with power belts that had the capability of displaying fault codes. I would simply access the plug to the motor with a 12v test light and see if it has power when the belt should operate. You might also try tapping on the motor body, that sometimes makes them work temporarily. If you have power at the connector for the motor then you'll most likely need to replace it.

SoCal LS-L 05-22-2009 01:35 PM

A quick easy thing to eliminate is the door switch.... turn the selector on the overhead lights to "door" and press the little plunger switch in your doorframe in and out, making sure the light goes on and off consistently. That will first eliminate the easiest part of the system to replace.

suberman 05-22-2009 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by w261w261 (Post 602371)
I have downloaded 3 PDF files which I hope can diagnose the problem, but since I am not familiar with the car at all, it will probably be a steep learning curve, so I am tossing this out in the hopes that the solution might "probably" be ______.

The driver's traveler belt has gone dead. Prior to its demise, it would always work when the car was running, I assumed this meant when the voltage was high enough to get past some resistance in a connection, or something like that. Occasionally, when the car was shut off and the door opened, the belt would retract, but only about half the time. Gradually, the belt's ability to retract after the car was turned off lessened, and now it's kaput.

Any educated guesses? Thx.

No. But I disconnected the plug from the seat belt motor and connected it to the left rear window switch when mine went out. Now I use the window switch to move the seat belt and that works fine.

SoCal LS-L 05-22-2009 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suberman (Post 602414)
Now I use the window switch to move the seat belt and that works fine.

:lol::lol: